Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

Oxidation in Shampoo?

I know this sounds like a really dumb question but since skincare products with certain ingredients can oxidize and become less effective, can that also happen to shampoo? 

• Backstory: I had the Oribe Signature Shampoo delivered on August 4th. I unexpectedly had to fly out that weekend and didn't get back until Aug 18. Once back, I discovered that the shampoo bottle was cracked from the screw top and most of it had leaked out. Customer service was nice enough to send me a new a bottle. 
    • Now I’m wondering if the shampoo has gone bad since it’s been sitting in my room for the past 2 months exposed to oxygen. I was planning to pour out the remaining into little travel shampoo bottles and donate them to an organization I volunteer at (it's called Between Friends, y'all should definitely check them out!!!!). Problem is I don't want it to backfire and for the shampoo to end up being bad (like I'm already showing up with mysterious liquid in plastic bottles lol).

So does shampoo such as Oribe’s oxidize? I tried looking into the ingredients but there are too many and I don’t know what ingredients to look for. 

Re: Oxidation in Shampoo?

Hi @beetfarmer 

It’s a very nice gesture however I would not recommend at this point. Oribe contains very few preservatives add the element of air, dust etc and it’s a no. 

That’s a good point. I just feel bad throwing it away but at this point, it’s the smart thing to do. 

• I have another silly question. So I’m keeping the Oribe Signature Shampoo and since the bottle is properly secured and it has a dispense pump, how long do you think the shampoo would be good for?
  • I thought it’d be fine to spend money on an expensive shampoo because I only wash my hair once a week so the bottle would last me a very long time. Would you recommend that I’d get the smaller bottle (8.5oz vs the 33.8oz I have now)? 

Hi, @beetfarmer !  That's not a dumb question at all!  I wouldn't think so, but let's see what @GG84 , our resident expert in all things hair, has to say.  🥰

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 10 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors
testing