Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

Olaplex and Major hair loss!!

Has anyone out there been experience sudden hair loss (or just noticed) from using any olaplex products? Specifically, Olaplex #3?  My hair was gorgeous 6-8 months ago, but after using olaplex shampoo & conditioner and olaplex #3 for a few months, my hair began falling about in groves! I stopped using it many months ago, but my hair is still falling out. I contacted the company, and of course they say their product is not linked to hair loss -- of course they sl say that. Not one other product has ever caused my hair to fall out like olaplex and no other health  conditions nor products can be attributed to my major hair loss. What in the world is in these products?? Can somebody please help or share their experience. Have Mercy! Make it stop! Olaplex, I am so mad at you! I wish somebody could get to the bottom of this! I urge you to be careful with these products. I know they've been hyped, but I know this is not just me and I hope to get to the bottom of this or at least find something to grow my hair back. It has been a nightmare!!

Re: Olaplex and Major hair loss!!

I've been experiencing massive hair loss in the last couple of months. At first I didn't think too much of it, but then it became really noticeable. Like, a fairly large pile in the shower, and with each brushing I clean the hair out 2-3 times. I have always had really thick hair. I have been using the entire Olaplex line for several months...maybe even about a year? I bleach my hair and heat style and it did stop the breakage. But now I'm losing it!! I've stopped all Olaplex products after reading this thread, among others. Any idea if or when my hair will stop falling out? I'm so upset! 😞 

They supposedly reformulated without butylphenyl methylpropional (lilial) which is an ingredient that is banned in European Union linked to infertility. Similar to BPA, phthalates, and parabens, lilial can act as an endocrine disruptor. Endocrine disruptors are chemicals that may mimic or interfere with the body's hormones - which is why Too much estrogen causes hair loss and thinning hair. OLAPLEX says they have removed lilial from it's product as of January 2022 - Check when you purchased it and throw it away if you see butylphenyl methylpropional as an ingredient on your bottle.

***IMPORTANT*** in United Stated FDA does not regulate what goes into ANY cosmetic/personal product list and ANY and ALL harmful ingredients can be hidden under the ingredient named FRAGRANCE/PARFUM. Only through an independent lab tests would any of us know what is actually in everyday products we are using if they are scented. This is the most frustrating, upsetting and devastating fact about products sold to us without clear laws for companies to abide by. At this point I used pretty much every product on recall list, everything with ingredients that were banned in EU in 1990 but not in USA and I lost half of my hair. Only about a month ago I had an aha moment from a random search in google about hair loss which popped up settlements and lawsuits, which ultimately took me through the rabbit hole of 'it's not what the product claims to do - it's what's in it we should avoid'. Olaplex is currently being sued in Canada as of March 3, 2022....

Hi everyone, I am considering meeting with a lawyer to see if we have a case for a class action lawsuit. Does anyone know if this has already been done and failed or in the process? I see mentions that there should be one but no evidence that there is.

Count me in! 

Join FB group Olaplex Hair Loss! It will be easier to communicate there.

If you plan on hiring an attorney.  I will join you. I’ve considered it too 

@APrice22 I will keep everyone posted on this as long as I am legally able talk about it. What has happened to you/how long have you been loosing your hair from the product?

My hair dresser used the Product on me in April of this year.  Since then my hair has been falling out by the chunks.  The texture of my hair feels like straw.  So bad.  I had long shiny and healthy hair until she put this product on it 

Hi, a couple of women and myself have joined a FB group called Olaplex Hair Loss. Please feel free to join. I think it will be a better place to have discussions since things are moderated over here.

I started losing hair after 2 uses. I have only used Olaplex products 0,3,4,5, and 8 for about 2 weeks. I will be returning everything tomorrow. The amount of hair I’ve been losing is 4x as much as I normally do. 

I would join you! I’ve been using the #4 and #5 shampoo and conditioner (2-3 x week) and noticed some hair fall and thought it was normal from washing my hair.  over the span of 4 months I can now see my scalp and I’m devastated!!

I did a search to see if anyone out there was having an hair loss issues. Same thing here. My daughter bought me 4&5 for Mother’s Day. I went back and bought 3 & the spray liquid that goes with that and another number. At first my hair felt amazing and I was only washing it once every 6-7 days. Now it’s been several months and I started noticing gobs of hair coming out each morning when I would get ready. My hair is long and very thick and for the most part very healthy except that I do have color in it. Now instead of it being thick and full it feels dry and very thinned out. All of these comments confirmed that it was what I’m using. 

FDB6F824-1292-4B78-B93B-531B95930368.jpeg

 brushed my entire head once with a clean brush, it’s scary how much hair was coming out

Hey! I am going through the same thing and have joined Olaplex Hair Loss group over on FB. Please feel free to join. Personally I am out for blood and want a class action lawsuit, so I want us to be consolidated. 

I have noticed mine feeling much thinner myself & I thought it was my Type 1 diabetes. I just used the last of my shampoo & conditioner 2 days ago but I thought I would look up some reviews because the only thing I’ve changed was using this stuff. Super frustrating!! 

Olaplex is beyond terrible. I also since day one of using these products have experienced breakage and loss of hair; not to mention, so brittle. I had really pretty hair and I just need to know what to do to restore it to what it used to be. DO NOT purchase this line. 

I am in the same boat. I started using olaplex months ago and my hair loss is so severe that my hairdresser even advised me to see a dr.

no bald spots but extreme hair loss and breakage. 

even went to an endocrinologist and they told me I was in “perfect health” after my blood work was done. 

its insane that when I Google “olaplex and hair loss” it comes up as perfectly safe and that it doesn’t cause hair loss. WHAT A JOKE!!

I started using Olaplex 3 months ago. Everyone was talking about it and my hair stylist also suggested it for my color treated hair. I wasn’t impressed by the heavy feeling left on my hair after shampooing and conditioning but decided to keep using it. I also started using No. 3 deep conditioning treatment. I liked the way my hair felt after using it once a week. My hair began feeling extra dry. I noticed a lot of breakage on top of my head after a couple weeks of using these three products. I kept using the Olaplex for the next two months hoping things would turn around. I was really confused. I bought expensive hair vitamins, set my flat iron to 240 and bought a silk pillow case and a wet brush. I’ve never seen my hair look as bad as it does now. I have done everything to stop the breakage and nothing is working. The only thing I changed about my normal hair routine was using Olaplex. I know that Olaplex is the reason for my hair breaking and hair line receding.  My hair has never looked this awful. I had to get 3 inches cut off of my shoulder length hair, now it’s so short and I hate it. I’ve spent so much money on deep conditioning to try to repair it. I’ve also been using Nioxin shampoo conditioner and leave in scalp treatment. My hair stylist said I had so much breakage that I was going to go bald. I am completely traumatized and depressed about my hair now. I hate Olaplex!!! #olaplex 

I have experience the same exact thing. Extreme hair loss and breakage.

went to a endocrinologist and after reviewing my blood work she stated that I was in “perfect health”.

it’s crazy that this seems to be hidden information considering it says all over the internet that it’s “safe”.

Okay seriously what’s up with this… I bought a bottle February of 2022 my first ever olaplex product and it took me MONTHS to figure of what was causing it because so many people rave about olaplex but it was in fact the bottle of olaplex conditioner. What the heck is going on? I am so upset because I don’t normally care to spend extra money but this like suppose to be soo healthy and I did bleach for the first time in YEARS. I hadn’t even died my hair in over a year and it caused me to lose so much hair but not just that it literally broke off so many pieces from my hair like the breakage is really really bad and caused my hairline to literally move back. It’s not letting me tag the conditioner so I had to tag another olaplex product.  #olaplex 

I was talked into trying the olaplex system by an Ulta attendant and it was the biggest mistake EVER!!! My hair was beautiful to that point, but I had starting experiencing split ends because I haven’t been able to get a professional trim due to Covid. I only did 2 applications and noticed my hair texture was very different and suddenly got extremely thin and had a lot of short broken off hairs all over my head! My hair turned from healthy, bouncy, shiny hair to lifeless, thin and damaged hair! I’ve put my hair Thru a lot over the years like bleaching, relaxing etc and have NEVER experienced hair loss or breakage! I treat my hair regularly and take very good care of it. Now I’m panicking because the hair loss was so severe in just the span of 2 weeks! I have a wedding and vacation coming up and I can’t believe this is happening! No info online other than this thread is talking about this! My friend experienced the same thing and had to act quickly. She had to cut her waist length hair off to her shoulders! She recommended products like castor oil and the mielle thyme mint hair serum. I’ve only been using them a couple days now so I have no idea if the damage has stopped or if these products will be successful. Hope there is a class action suit because this product is ruining lives!

testing