Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

Olaplex 3 and hair loss?

Has anyone experience excessive shedding of hair after Olaplex 3 treatment??

I thought it was a coincidence the 1st time, but it happened after the 2nd and 3rd tx.

I used it weekly x 3, and the hair loss after the 3rd treatment is noticeable.

I will not use it again (and only used about 2/3 of 1 bottle).

No hair scalp itch or redness, to suggest an allergic reaction. 

Re: Olaplex 3 and hair loss?

For goodness sake, its called 'Olaplex' not "opaplex".

@WehoRez, seriously? You're criticizing a typo? wow.

Its not a typo, its repeatedly mis-naming the product. And yes, it really annoying to read.

@Sweetestkitten  I think @pocketvenus 's reason for posting is obvious: some of us BIC members are simply questioning whether or not some posters in this thread are genuinely seeking help vs. posting falsely negative info, which has happened before. 🤷‍♀️ Heck, sometimes one-off accounts are created to post falsely positive info about certain products/brands, both here in BIC and on Sephora product pages. (If you're curious, there was FTC involvement in 2019 regarding a certain well-known skincare brand whose employees created fake Sephora accounts to write falsely positively reviews of said brand's products and negative/neutral reviews of competitors' products.) In fact, some of us questioned several new one-off BIC accounts last year that did nothing but praise Olaplex. 🤣 

I'm not sure why you assume a community member's "hey, are these BIC accounts genuine or fake" question means the community member has zero compassion for women experiencing hair loss. Since you only mentioned women and assumed every poster in this thread is a woman: imagine if I accused you have having zero compassion for men and nonbinary folks who might also be experiencing major hair loss and might even have posted in this thread. That'd be kinda silly of me, right? (I mean, I think it'd be silly.) Just because a community member questions a trend in this thread, doesn't mean they don't feel for anyone who's genuinely experiencing problems. They're just trying to ensure there's no "flood of shill/fake accounts" business happening because, again, it's happened here before. 

And for the record: no, I don't work for Olaplex, and I doubt pocketvenus does either. I've never worked in the haircare industry at all. 

sorry, but what the heck is a "BIC: account?

Hi @Tamu22 ! FYI, when replying to folks here on BIC, be sure to tag them so they'll get notification of your reply. 

BIC = Beauty Insider Community. This is Sephora's online community. Visit the Community homepage (https://community.sephora.com) and check out the "Getting Started" righthand column for lots of helpful threads about BIC: community guidelines, FAQ, the new members thread (where new folks introduce themselves), etc. 

@WinglessOne Thank you kindly for weighing in!

Anyone who takes a look at my hair now, which hasn't been cut professionally since the lockdown in March and is now kind of funny looking thanks to my at-home self-cut, will know it's obvious I have zero ties with the haircare industry 🤣

@pocketvenus 🤣🤣🤣 I'm right there with you, having trimmed all my ends—which I'm usually kinda good at, except for the back of my head, and I should know better than to cut any of that hair myself but, well, here we are. 🤦‍♀️ 

And really, if we did work for Olaplex, I'm sure one or both of us would've posted a comprehensive How To Correctly Use Olaplex No. 3 guide in this thread by now, plus info about using various Olaplex products together and various other topics. I'm kinda surprised (and disappointed) @Olaplex hasn't jumped into any of these threads themselves, since they do have a valid BIC brand account. I think I've said this before in one of these threads but: I wish Olaplex would work with TeamBIC on a how-to thread/session, with a chance for folks to ask questions. I'm sure they'd rather not deal with a barrage of hair damage accusations, and maybe their legal team has advised them against doing that kind of interaction with online communities. But gosh, it'd sure be helpful. 

Hey, full-disclosure, I'm not a community member. Just came across this board on a desperate search for answers. I used Olaplex #3 for the first time tonight, followed directions, ignored the few negative reviews. People leave this in overnight, how could one hour not be safe? I thought anyone who had breakage obviously had damaged hair to begin with. So I rinse it out to shampoo and clumps of my hair fall out. And then more clumps. It felt never-ending. It was the scene from The Craft. I'm typing this with wet hair at the moment that I'm too scared to touch. I don't understand how this happened so I can't even begin to know how to fix it. That's why I came here. Will this shedding last even though I only used the product once? Or was it a one-time bad reaction? This isn't a grand conspiracy to take down the Olaplex empire. I'm a nobody with shedding hair who needs some advice.

Have you followed up on this site to see all the posts about olaplex? It's a nightmare from the pits of h*ll. 

I'm sorry you are having issues. So many people are having issues with stress right now, which can have an effect on the hair. Hormones, medications and illness can too. No product can cause hair to fall out from the scalp. Please contact a doctor to find the cause.

This is untrue - any product can cause hair loss - not all products work for alll people 

@pocketvenus I am really disappointed that you feel this way. This thread is the only thing that has been able to answer why I very suddenly lost a TON of hair. I can’t even begin to explain the sheer relief I felt at reading other BIC members’ testimonials that so closely matched my own experience. I’ve bought stuff from Sephora before but have never tried to leave reviews/posts until THIS thread because people should know about the possible negative side effects of this product. Maybe it only affects certain hair, blood, skin types or certain genetic markers? But everything these members are talking about has happened to me too. There is something funky with this product. 

@CalicoCanuck I appreciate how you feel. If you are also looking for other testimonials of a similar nature, there are also multiple threads in different beauty communities on Reddit with negative reviews of Olaplex ranging from mild to severe. I will note however, that the most negative reviews were posted by throwaway accounts on Reddit. A throwaway post compromises the credibility of a poster for me, but that is only how I assess credibility and you may find those posts helpful. You can find them easily with Google.

Please understand that BIC is a very welcoming community and because of this, we have had problems in the past with fake reviews, spam, and non-disclosure. There is a difference between posting a negative review on a product page and in an online community. Any community has its own unique norms and customs and anyone's contributions will be received based on this context as well as how any individual member wishes to see it. A post to a community and the trustworthiness of someone's testimony is judged differently from community to community and no one brand new to a community can expect instant trust. Any negative review posted here by someone who has been a long-time, upstanding member (and there is at least one poster who fits that description in this thread), I'll trust because they've earned it.

Upon further thought, I also find it odd that no one on the BIC or Reddit threads who have suffered from the most extreme symptoms do not post about repairing the hair damage, nor do most seem to be seeking information about restoring hair loss. As WinglessOne has posted, I do not write this to make anyone feel like they cannot post a negative review of a product on BIC, esp if they have suffered from such extreme hair loss. But the lack of information sharing about repairing such extreme damage strikes me as bizarre.

@TeamBIC 

@pocketvenus  I've wondered about this, too. Since BIC is open to the public—not a private online community—our posts come up in Google and other search engine results. I have to wonder how many individual people legitimately found this thread while looking for Olaplex issues vs. multiple accounts by the same person (or handful of people). 

And even in the former scenario, I wish those folks would stick around and participate in more BIC threads instead of post just one or two times in a thread and then disappear. I understand some people are shy about interacting with everyone, but I wish more of these folks would truly join our community instead of do these dine & dash posts. I hope I'm not upsetting folks in this thread who legitimately think Olaplex is ruining their hair—and I still urge them to see a dermatologist or their primary care doctor about that, because hair loss can be caused by many things—but hey guys, there's so much more to BIC and we don't want you to miss out! 

@WinglessOne @pocketvenus Hey, thanks for tagging us here! We've flagged this to our Community moderators who will take action if they notice suspicious activity on the BIC. 

Thank you @TeamBIC !

@WinglessOne Appreciate your reply and thank you for tagging TeamBIC <333 People should always feel okay to share negative experiences and I am jumping the gun here by speculating. Also, I totally believe there are negative Olaplex experiences out there because no matter how hyped a product is, there are going to be people who have meh to negative experiences with a beauty product!

Having said that, I'm not just skeptical because of the sheer number of dine and dashes here, but also because I looked up similar threads on reddit and I see a similar pattern. The throwaway accounts are the ones posting the most negative comments. While there are also people with real accounts posting negative reviews, none of them report that their hair has broken to the point where it's thinning at the scalp. I'd link to the threads if Sephora allowed me.

Hi! I’m a professional hairstylist, and I’ve been using olaplex no 1 and 2 for years now with no issues. However, I started using the shampoo, conditioner, leave in, and oil about a year ago. My hair has been falling out in giant clumps when I shampoo, or even brush my hair. But here’s the kicker- it comes out BY THE ROOT. It’s not breaking- it’s straight up falling out. Two of my clients who also have been using these products for a few months have had similar issues. I’m planning to discontinue using all but the no 1 ( the stuff your hairdresser puts into your lightener or color to protect your hair) and no 2 (also a pro only product) but that’s it- no more of the rest of it. I have suuuuuper thick hair normally, but now it’s thin and whispy and sad. I haven’t even been able to color or process my hair because of this constant hair loss. 

Same here! I’m a stylist and have been using and carrying Olaplex for at home use for a year and a half. At first i loved it. In the past few months I’ve had a tremendous amount of hair loss. The texture of my hair has completely changed. It feels like cotton candy. All of the underneath of my hair broke off by the scalp and is now like 3 inches long. I FINALLY realized it’s the Olaplex. As soon as i quit using it my hair felt better and i had less shedding. A long time client of mine has had the same issues. Nothing i use on her has changed during the coloring process. She has been using Olaplex for a year now. I did her hair yesterday and told her to throw the Olaplex away and got us both Joico hydrasplash to get our hair back in shape. I would’ve never realized the issue had i not found this group. Now it all makes sense. Bye Olaplex!! Thank you all for sharing your stories. 

I started a Facebook group called “Olaplex Hair Loss.” Please join so we can share our testimonies and possible solutions. I have had excessive shedding since my hairstylist used it on me one month ago. I went to the derm and he said I have TE. This was all brought on by Olaplex. The second I touched my hair after the cut, I noticed the density of my hair changed drastically and have had continued fallout since. I have lost many hours of sleep over this and am extremely anxious. Together, with each other’s support, I believe we will find hope. 

813 Replies
testing