Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

Olaplex 3 and hair loss?

Has anyone experience excessive shedding of hair after Olaplex 3 treatment??

I thought it was a coincidence the 1st time, but it happened after the 2nd and 3rd tx.

I used it weekly x 3, and the hair loss after the 3rd treatment is noticeable.

I will not use it again (and only used about 2/3 of 1 bottle).

No hair scalp itch or redness, to suggest an allergic reaction. 

Re: Olaplex 3 and hair loss?

It’s not covid - it’s the olaplex 😞

Same for me broke off all my ends and my hair looks ratty and thin half way down my hair now. 

Oh my gosh me too! How did you make the breakage stop?! I have lost 3/4 of my hair all at a 3” length and my hair is down to my waist! I used the Olaplex 3 and the new Olaplex 8 this week and now I have no more hair, just long and straggly and the whole back of my head short... 😞

Covid can absolutely cause excessive shed and take over a year to resolve. It’s called telogen effluvium and is a common reaction to severe illness, fevers, surgery and anesthesia. Essentially, the body prematurely sends hair in a growth phase into the shedding (telogen) phase so it can devote energy to more vital bodily processes so it can fight off the virus and heal. 

She said she was losing hair before covid also with the products. So although covid May not have helped - it seems olaplex is the main common factor 

Spoiler
It's so sad when people here use fear mongering and say illness or COVID causes hair loss.  Nobody asked.  Look... over 2 years ago I wanted more beautiful hair.  The rep at Sephora advised the OLAPLEX line.  At first it was great, but after a couple months I had major hair loss, handfuls in the shower just came out and I texted my friends and showed them pics, it was so strange.  I saw a dermatologist even and had blood tests drawn because my doctors thought that maybe I had low iron to contribute to this and etc. Guess what?  I was fine. The product did not work well with me and guess what?  Some people it will work well with and others it will not.  It's been over 1 year since I quit the entire line(I used it all). I changed to another product and my hair is growing back.  Nothing related to sickness, just the product is good for some and not others.  Nothing is wrong with you, plese don't let others in this platform make you think it's you and your body fighting you. Your body works for you and with you,  day in and out.   Be well! 

What products did you use after Olaplex? Because I have been suffering from hair loss for a while and there is nothing wrong with my blood tests.

@SarahB72  I think @miinx was responding to this specific part of @pbprincess3’s post: “I was told by a dermatologist that it could be a reaction to the Covid I had in November.  However, how does this explain the hair loss before Covid?” 

I see no fear mongering in that exchange. I just see a factual explanation of COVID-related hair loss. It does actually happen to some people. Other illnesses can also cause hair loss, and pbprincess3 did right by seeing a dermatologist. 

Also, our bodies can indeed work against us; ask anyone who has an autoimmune issue. Pointing this out isn’t fear mongering, and doctors are the folks who can determine whether or not a specific person’s issue is medical health related vs. product related, not us BIC members who aren’t medical docs. 

Oh and to be clear, that writer did not use the name she was replying to.  But in any case, if someone like myself looks to see if others have hair loss after using this product but then read a post related to the details related to illness(and not related to the product), it could make people concerned that maybe it's not the product and maybe it's the illness... but let's be frank, everyone... hundreds are having problems related to hair loss, because of using this product and that's clear. 

Be well! 

It was not clear as to how a post spoke of hair loss related to this product needed to mention COVID. I don't think it's appropriate, since this thread is about hair loss related to using this specific product. 

Thanks for trying to explain. 

@SarahB72  If you're talking about miinx's post when you say "It was not clear as to how a post spoke of hair loss related to this product needed to mention COVID": miinx replied directly to someone who themself mentioned and asked about covid in their own post. Are you calling both miinx and pbprincess3's posts inappropriate? I don't think either of them were inappropriate. 🤷‍♀️ One had a question and specifically included covid-related hair loss; the other had an answer about covid-related hair loss. Simple as that.  

"If someone like myself looks to see if others have hair loss after using this product but then read a post related to the details related to illness(and not related to the product), it could make people concerned that maybe it's not the product and maybe it's the illness..." Well, it could actually be related to an illness, not the product in question (Olaplex). And folks should be concerned that it might be illness related, in which case they should consult a medical professional about it. That's not a fear mongering thing. It's a basic medical health thing—and it applies to a kazillion other scenarios, not just hair loss. 

It'd be more inappropriate to advise folks to completely ignore the potential of medical illness and instead blame a product. Especially when the blame is based solely on anecdotal evidence, with no scientific evidence. What should happen with all this Olaplex hair loss stuff (aside from @Olaplex themselves popping back into this thread to field complaints and questions) is some scientific study to determine whether or not Olaplex causes hair loss. Meanwhile, folks experiencing sudden and excessive hair loss should absolutely ask their doctors about it, just in case something medically serious (and unrelated to Olaplex) is happening. 

It is sad that if so many people need to see their doctors, due to hair loss; after using olaplex.  And pay a hefty amount, if need be for doctors and tests; only to find out nothing is wrong with them and it's actually this product, I think a 'buyers beware' is appropriate here to tag onto the Olaplex brand.  

Again.  Thanks for your clarification and communication. Be well! 

I see what you are saying and I can understand what you are saying and your point.  Be well. 

Yes, I had a lot more hair coming out when I used olaplex 3. I noticed it early one. I asked my hair stylist she told me I didn’t need it that people over use it. She said it can ruin your hair. I came home and tried to research what she had just told me. I couldn’t find anything. Well here lately I am seeing a lot of people say this and how it dried out there hair. Now I see hair stylist say do not use it to much that it can be drying. I have stopped using it and finally after a few months my hair is no longer shedding like it was. 

OMG!  I am so going to stop using this product!  Y'all this aint right.  We gotta tell the company.  

Can’t believe I am sitting here reading all of the negative reviews on Olaplex No. 3 I literally feel like I’m gonna be sick. My hair also fell out a significant amount after using this product. My hairdresser took notice and asked me what I’m doing differently. My hair has already been fine but its so bad now and Olaplex is literally the only thing I’ve been doing different. AND FOR MONTHS! A friend of mine recommended this treatment as we are both have heavy highlights and have for years. I’m literally just sick over this. I don’t understand how some get such great results while others it ruins their lives, basically. Well now I know I’m not the only one but I’m just sick. I hope there is one day some kind of lawsuit. People know their hair, I’m sorry. People are not imagining things or just picking anything to place blame at because they have hair fall. My advice if anyone is smart enough to search reviews before buying is BUYER BEWARE!! Use at your own risk. 

I was so excited the first time I used Oliplex. 
I picked up a trial size and late November 2020. But by the third time I used it I started noticing my hair fall out in massive quantities, long strands that appear to be healthy. I finally stopped using it! After my third wash using a different shampoo my hair is starting to fall out less and less, but it looks terrible! I think I’m going to have to go to my hairdresser and get a significant haircut since it looks like dry hay! #makesmesicktomystomach!

I’m speechless but so relieved. I started using olaplex and was noticing my hair started drying out and then falling out. I lost so much of my hair. It looked terrible I was using it 1 to 2 times per week. I was not putting it together that it could be the olaplex being I heard such great things about it. My hair was everywhere I started to freak out. One day I changed the shampoo and used a basic Pantene. Immediately I noticed less and less hair loss as I stopped using the olaplex, done never again!! 

Olaplex has caused me to have severe hair loss and has damaged my hair texture!

I am so relieved/happy/saddened to read these posts regarding hair loss due to olaplex. I am a islander girl who HAD thick black and curly hair prior to using Olaplex shampoo and conditioner. I was gifted these for christmas and thought it must be AMAZING given they cost $50 AUD each! 

After the first week of using the shamp and cond I noticed hair loss like I've never had before! I used it twice in the first wk and then the second wk I used it twice again and by the second wk I was having an easy 2 handfuls of my hair just falling out as I would run my hands gently through my hair. 

This has never happened to me before! The only other time I lost hair (although no where near the significant amount olaplex has caused me to lose!) was after giving birth to my second child. 

After using Olaplex my hair texture has also change dramatically!! from strong shiny hair that never get knotty! to brittlethin, fragile, weak hair strands that gets knotty easily! -  just from leaving it down. It's such a shame what has happened to my hair because of Olaplex! I will go back to using my humble organicare shampoo and conditioner for normal hair. Hopefully my beautiful hair will grow back! I have hair thinning and almost balding at the crown of my head because of Olaplex. Now I'm an islander girl with think, weak, easily snapping hair strands! my hair is constantly knotty due to it's thin and weak state. I haven't brushed my hair for 2 wks because I get depressed and mentally drained when I see handfuls of my hair in my hands and on the floor. I am seriously in shock and have been for the past wks!

My husband, my sister and my son have all noticed my hair loss and change in hair texture. This has made me so sad and angry. I hope they take that crap off the shelves. You ought to be sued Olaplex. People take images of your hair before and after.

Olaplex you money hungry villains! Shame on you for selling harmful, damaging products to innocent women. 

I have had the exact same experience several times over the past year. I have to keep cutting my already short hair because of the ratty ends. It’s all been caused by olaplex I just finally figured it out. Plus my hair is now so thin, weird course texture and I look like I’m balding at the crown. I feel ya! 

How's your hair loss now?

I've stopped using olaplex products for 9 months now and sadly I'm still losing hair, however not as much as the time I was using Olaplex. 

My bald patches are slowly but surely growing back SOME FEW hairs. My hair still looks flat when dry - something I am completely not familiar with, because before Olaplex my thick hair was very puffy. Oh an my curls are non existent still 😔

My hair texture is a little better (after cutting it 4x in the past 9 months), it's also not as brittle anymore. However It is still weaker than before I used Olaplex - still managing to get tangled whilst left to air dry.

I started using hair products with none to minimal chemicals in them. There was also a period of time I was so scared to wash my hair with anything but lukewarm water - I still do this often. I think I have PTSD from all this hair loss.

I think it will take a considerable amount of time for my hair to return to its natural and healthy "before Olaplex state". 

I hope your hair growth journey is a positive one! 🥰

813 Replies
testing