Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

Olaplex 3 and hair loss?

Has anyone experience excessive shedding of hair after Olaplex 3 treatment??

I thought it was a coincidence the 1st time, but it happened after the 2nd and 3rd tx.

I used it weekly x 3, and the hair loss after the 3rd treatment is noticeable.

I will not use it again (and only used about 2/3 of 1 bottle).

No hair scalp itch or redness, to suggest an allergic reaction. 

Re: Olaplex 3 and hair loss?

Yes I started taking vitamins, too even though I don't think that's the issue for me personally. I eat really well and never had any issue like this in my life nor any other issue, or allergies and what are the odds it started for me and some others while washing the olaplex out, so I think there's a direct correlation!

And if it didn't happen to you before then maybe it randomly started from a certain point on, I was also wondering if they changed the formulation cause I used olaplex for years in the past, I even slept with it on my hair at night back in the day and never had an issue, my hair was always great after and then beginning of November I use it twice and there are tumble weeds of hair rolling through my bathroom floor, it was insane. And I felt so helpless. And I'm so sorry you're going through this as well!

I'm a little more relaxed since the last shower and it seemed to have suddenly stopped. I started brushing my hair again, but before I would literally during and after every shower go softly (as careful as possible) with my hands through my hair and strand and strands just coming out so I started counting them that way, and did this a few times a day and kept counting... The thing was I have really long hair, so 5 hairs piled up look like a lot more than it may be just because of the length... so I thought just to keep an eye on it instead of make things up in my head I need to count them, also apparently it's normal to loose up to 100 hairs a day, which I don't think I ever lost that many ever.  I loose around 20-30 hairs per day in the last 2 days which now it seems back to normal times. Last week when I felt my hairloss was still properly going on it was 120-150 hairs every time I would 'check'.

Other than that I  had my hair in a bun a lot and didn't even touch it until I showered again for the first weeks cause I was terrified for every hair that just fell out of my scalp. I also read somewhere that there is a normal shedding season in around October and also in around April - I don't know if this is true... But I never had this issue ever like this during any time of the year in 31 years.  So counting for me made sense to see exactly how much I was losing a day, I also put the hair in a plastic bag as 'evidence' and may send it to Olaplex, or use it in court if this is ever happening, they can test them(?), and I also kept the olaplex lotion I used just in case.  

I am going to start doing this. I also eat really well and never had any Issues like this before. I am 36 and all my labs came back normal so it has to be the olaplex. I’m just so sad I cry all day about it, I can’t stop looking in the mirror…. I know I’m making it worse but I can’t stop. I only wash my hair twice a week but maybe I will try to wash it more to get more clarifying shampoos in. To top it all off I always keep back ups and I tried to return to Sephora and they wouldn’t take them back because it had been over 30 days …. So I have $100 in product that I can’t use just sitting there… the girl at Sephora told me I could sell it… I told her I would never wish this product on to anyone else

Yeah it's ridiculous they don't take them back! 30 days who cares when one loses hair continuously, it's shocking that olaplex nor sephora think they need to act or look into it. Unless they know and let it just go on to make more money until the house of cards falls....

I hate to be stupid but what is ACV? I had the same problem with Olaplex

Apple cider vinegar rinse you can google or you tube how to do it 

we all need to contact the FDA

I have been losing hair for about 7 weeks now. I have to wear a wig. Nothing has helped. I think olaplex caused a chemical reaction. I'm not sure about protein overload but sounds possible.  I did try acv but then lost a huge huge chunk of hair. Nothing has helped me so far. I look like the crypt keeper. 

Have you tried a clarifying shampoo? 

I have not tried clarifying shampoo. I will. I'm just terrified to try something new.  

I was terrified as well to make it worse, but maybe give it a go, it seems quite a bunch of women here had good experiences with it. Including me. The clarifying shampoos really helped me and my hair loss stopped like 90% since my last shower, which was the 4-6th time using it in the last 2weeks. I only wash my hair once every 3-5 days since the hair loss to not stress my hair too much and otherwise just kept it in a bun. I didn't even brush my hair anymore at a normal day in between showers to not to loose more than I have to. 💔 I wrote a longer thing above with a picture of the shampoos I used that someone recommended a while ago on here, and a hair oil. I hope it's gonna stop for you soon and all our hair grows back as well 💗🙏

I was so excited  also to use this  so called miracle #3 treatment.  I noticed long strands coming out at first, I thought  maybe  it was dead. hair. After multiple  uses  my hair also start  coming  out in chunks from the root! I'm disgusted! I had to get hair peice, the halo. I put the AVC in my hair then used suave clarifying shampoo. Noticed difference immediately thank god! I'll continue  the AVC without  overdoing. Getting biotin and and vitamin D. I'm so frickin pissed  what olaplec did toy hair!!!!

I agree with you the same has happened to me. I have used a clarifying shampoo but it’s still shedding. What shampoo/condition do I use after the clarifying? I heard my hair may be in protein overload but it’s so hard to find products without protein? Also How does ACV ronde work? Is there any way this could hurt my hair more 

ACV  balances pH level, less breakage . It's helped mine after 2 use I noticed, dilute with water and massage into scalp, also taking biotene and vitamin D. I'm so pissed about this!!!

Did you notice less hair loss after using the ACV rinse? Do you use ACV rinse and then shampoo with a clarifying shampoo afterwards?

No so far, I'm using sauve clarifying shampoo, crossing  my fingers 

I have noticed  a difference. I read your question wrong. Also using Moroccan oil. Only Moroccan oil they say. Fingers crossed. I'm sticking  with clarifying  shampoo for a while 

Thank you so much for the response! 
How long did it take for you to see results? As in how long did it take for your hair to stop falling out excessively by using clarifying shampoo?

I'm gonna start  using Biolage  advanced full density for thin hair, I'll let u know 

Thank you. I am not even pissed I’m just sad all I do it look in the mirror and cry. I hope this works… I legit have a bald spot on the crown of my head with no end in sight 

i also have used olaplex 3 once a month and 4 and 5 daily for like 2 years the hair lost started this summer but I couldn’t pin point the reason until recently. I am not sure what changed I never had this problem before 

I'm sad myself!

I've tried Olaplex no 0, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. It definitely improved the condition of my hair. It is smooth, shiny and bouncy. However, my scalp would become red and itchy when using no 0 and 3 (applied from roots to ends), but that did not stop me from using it. I remember that no 0 got on my forehead and the skin was red right away. When I noticed that my hair was falling more than usual I did not think it was Olapex right away so I kept using it. I have thick hair, so it was not so noticeable. My hair continued to fall. The hair would fall from the roots. I think that the shampoo and maybe conditioner were also causing hair loss. I stopped using Olapex for a while and my hair loss decreased significantly. So, for some of us Olaplex can cause such a reaction.

813 Replies
testing