Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

Olaplex 3 and hair loss?

Has anyone experience excessive shedding of hair after Olaplex 3 treatment??

I thought it was a coincidence the 1st time, but it happened after the 2nd and 3rd tx.

I used it weekly x 3, and the hair loss after the 3rd treatment is noticeable.

I will not use it again (and only used about 2/3 of 1 bottle).

No hair scalp itch or redness, to suggest an allergic reaction. 

Re: Olaplex 3 and hair loss?

I am wondering if olaplex changed the ph balance of the scalp. ? 

Same. The truth will come out. It will reach a tipping point with consumers and they will have to pull the products and/or change the formula.  I would like to save anyone the trama of this experience.  

There is a same thread on a german site (hot-port.de). Are women imagine all around the world? 😂 I followed a few complaining threads on olaplex facebook page, but they disappeared. (By the way, where is stylistkelly's post? 🙃) They can change their formula,but i'm also shivering from the word "olaplex". Never again!!! 

Not for millions of dollars!! The trauma 💔 

I dug in a bit deeper on getting rid of the protein ASAP.  I've been using sulfate shampoo like Pantene and it HAS been working but the junk from Olaplex takes awhile to get rid of.  I've also learned not to believe all of the anti-sulfate nonsense.  Right now that is what our hair needs.  I wish I would have known that months ago.

I have heard that ACV rinse (a few tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar and the rest pure water in water bottle) and leave it in your hair for just a few minutes.  The apple cider vinegar will break down the Olaplex and then put in Moroccan Oil overnight.  Also, do not use Coconut Oil  Apparently, it'll make it worse.  The trick is to break down the Olaplex/protein overload and then condition.  The other option is pineapple juice with yogurt?  I'm really ready to try anything.  Even Mayonaise or pure butter overnight after some fruit rinse to break down this garbage off my hair.  I'll end up smelling like a fruit salad but I hope to stop this porcupine look.

Have you tried this? I’m scared to put anything in my at this point but I might if it worked for someone.  I have used olaplex for 2 years and  I originally loved it but then the last few months I have had so much hair loss. I now have a bald spot on the back of my head! I don’t even know what to do so much falls out every day it’s defeating. I gave up olaplex but I have read that I could have protein overload. I have a clarifying shampoo now which maybe might be helping but I need to add some moisture back in and every shampoo/conditioner I try to use has protein in it. Does anyone have any good suggestions? I’m so sad and to top it off Sephora wouldn’t take my unopened olaplex back because it had been too long since purchase. I can’t believe I have spent so much money to just ruin my hair and my confidence and my mental health 

Also, had I known that ACV was the antidote I would have taken a bath in it for a month after the first shredding/breakage of hair due to Olaplex.  Even the crazy broken pieces of hair are shinier and lay flat so I don't look super crazy.  I might do the ACV every other day until all of the chemicals are gone.  I have to say though that the toxic chemicals of Olaplex are pretty potent given all you have to do to remove it so points for perseverence go to Olaplex.  If it's shredding your hair, like it did to mine, douse your hair in ACV + water, clarify shampoo IMMEDIATELY, and stick a protein free moisturizing mask in your hair overnight.  Had I done that, the last 5 months and six inches of hair would have looked dramatically different.  😞

I tried it on Tuesday night for 10 minutes because I am now scared to death about my hair.  I noticed a HUGE improvement.  Then I left it in for 30 minutes last night and 10 minutes this morning, pre-shampoo.  Good gracious, my hair hasn't looked this good in months.  The ACV removes the chemicals that Olaplex left on the hair. It'll take awhile, but I may do this rinse at least 3 times a week.  I didn't even have to put in any extra hair oil.  My hair is shiny and bouncy yet it's not like its former glory.  It'll take a while but this is a 70% improvement.  

Did you mix the ACV with water? Did you apply it to the entire hair or just the scalp? You do it pre shampoo or post shampoo? Online it says it kid 2part water with 1 part ACV and then do it after shampooing? I am just not sure that is what works best in this situation 

If acv helps, I believe that olaplex changes the ph of the scalp. Acv did help me mildly. I actually am terrified of doing too much of anything. I had a huge huge chunk come out the day before yesterday.  I am an estetician and know how important ph is for skin/hair. Our body's ph is also critical to stay healthy. 

I left the ACV in for an hour today and even more improvement! Olaplex ruined the ph for sure. Thats exactly why the breakage. Also get rid of all protein based or bonding shampoo and conditioner.  I can actually run my fingers through my hair!  I'm going to do it a few days a week to really reverse Olaplex. 

Omg thank you! Trying this tonight!! 

I used apple cider vinegar scrub and then drenched head in jojoba oil. I feel like I will not end up bald which is how I felt for 3 weeks. It definitely changed the trajectory. Reddit has threads about olaplex. Whattoexpect,  the mom site,  has a thread about our situation too. I bought nutrafol oil growth activator. It arrived today. 

I have lost over 50% of my hair over the past month. I had COVID in September, but I am also a long-term Olaplex 3,4,5,6 user and had a professional (1,2) Olaplex treatment in October with my color. I never had an issue with the Olaplex, and believe it was the only reason I was able to grow out my fine, flyaway hair - however, now I question if my hair loss is due to COVID or Olaplex? How do you tell? It feels so thin and wispy now I am tempted to break out my 4,5 and 6 at least and try to regrow, but I am also afraid I will lose what little I have left. Pic 1 is Sept 2021, recovering from COVID. Pic 2 Oct 2021 after Olaplex 1 and 2 and color. Pic 3 is Dec 2021. So upset, looking for any insight!

covidhair.1.jpgcovidhair.2.jpgcovidhair.3.jpg

@BellaBaron 

Are you losing hair in places other than your head?  The easiest place to tell is usually your eyelashes.  Do they seem less thick than usual?  Are you finding more loose eyelashes than you normally would?  If so, your hair loss is global and not caused by Olaplex.  But honestly, if COVID damaged your hair, it may not like Olaplex as much as it used to.  I'm so sorry about your thick gorgeous hair!

@BellaBaron  I'm so glad you are getting good regrowth!!

My eyelashes seem normal, and my brows are growing in nice and thick - presumably from all the hair vitamins I'm taking. The top of my scalp is filling in nicely, can't see bare patches anymore, so I'm confident my hair is growing back. I just wish I knew if it was Olaplex or COVID because Olaplex was the reason I was able to grow my hair to begin with, but not taking a chance right now even though I am so tempted!

It’s Covid. Telogen Effluvium. Very common post Covid. Must run its course 3-6 months. 

I would definitely hope for covid hair loss. It will grow back. Whatever chemical reaction happens with Olaplex can cause permanent hair loss. It falls out with root attached. Keep us posted. 

Omg your hair is absolutely gorgeous! I’m so sorry you’re also dealing with this. Just based off of personal experience, I would advise you to use something other than Olaplex to try and make your hair regrow and healthy again! Obviously I have no certain answers but your hair issues look/sound similar to mine and many others who have suffered hair loss from Olaplex!! 

754 Replies
testing