Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

Olaplex 3 and hair loss?

Has anyone experience excessive shedding of hair after Olaplex 3 treatment??

I thought it was a coincidence the 1st time, but it happened after the 2nd and 3rd tx.

I used it weekly x 3, and the hair loss after the 3rd treatment is noticeable.

I will not use it again (and only used about 2/3 of 1 bottle).

No hair scalp itch or redness, to suggest an allergic reaction. 

Re: Olaplex 3 and hair loss?

Thank you!!

Do you use any treatment?

Although I should have tried harder, I didn’t use too many treatments or stick with anything very long. (I was so depressed from this, I just got lazy)  So I think for my case, it naturally stopped, that’s why I wanted to let people know my process was about 5 months! 

I did do a Apple cider vinegar hair mask and clarifying shampoo to get rid of the proteins in my hair. But then that dried out my scalp super bad. So then I used Head and Shoulders (I know not the best but it really works for your scalp), Moroccan Oil, and Kerastase products. All of which helped the hair loss not increase. 

I would definitely advise anyone to take the time to read other peoples opinions and stories on this thread for advice. I think some people have some great ways to help make this horrifying journey stop faster than 5 months! 

Wow your experience is so similar to mine! The exact same thing happened and I'm also almost now at the 5 month mark, I too did not stick to any treatment really and now it's way better than when I first posted about it and there is def hope, I'm just glad I only used it once and now know how awful it is!

If only I’d known others were having the same issues as me. My concern is breakage with some  hair loss. I’ve used Olaplex for about a year & couldn’t figure out why my hair was breaking so much until my stylist just informed me that some people are having horrible results from it. I’ve now  went back to a trusted treatment system that I had great success with when a new medication caused excessive hair loss & thinning. It’s called Surface Awaken. Guess we’re all members of the Olaplex hair looks like crap club. 

I had a lot of hairloss and didn't even notice the breakage in the beginning cause I was so shocked and paranoid by the strands falling out until I realized that my hair is many many inches shorter and still breaking... I had an issue with hairloss from the first week November on until mid/end December when it finally stopped! But so SCARY! My hair is still WAY shorter than before, and so thinned out. So sad! I do have small hairs all over coming back, some are growing. 

I also feel like every time I let my hair get a little greasy the next day I had / still sometimes feel like I have more hairs falling out than usually. Anyone else feel that way and observed that?

I'd also like to recommend everyone to watch "not so pretty' an eye-opening documentary on HBO about the cosmetics industry!!!!!!! 

my hair loss started about a week ago.. i had used olaplex n3 and my hair is falling out so bad my hairline is almost bald i know it’s from olaplex because i have never experienced any hair loss before. i bought sauve clarifying shampoo because i’ve seen other people saying you need to remove the protein from your hair. i’m losing sleep from all the worry that i’m going to lose all my hair. i’ve already lost 120+ hairs in the matter of 5-6 hours.  i regret using it so much i think i’m going to go for a big chop because my hair is so frizzy and ugly.. please help i’m only 18 someone help me i’m so scared 😞 

Get a great haircut and remove as much of the damaged hair as you can stomach. I chopped 6 inches off initially and have been keeping my hair chin length ever since, getting 1/2 inch trims regularly. I found that no matter what I did I could not get my hair to recover from the chemical/bonding damage that Olaplex caused. I had to simply remove it, and believe me, I spared no expense in trying. I am just starting to see some of my old curls and better hair movement after 9 months!! There is still this weird cobweb hair on the bottom portion of my strands but I am dealing with it. I keep checking these posts because I am hoping eventually someone will reveal the reason this happened to all of us or at least a class action suit will develop. 

I feel your pain 😥 The same thing happened to me when I started using Olaplex. U can see how badly my hairline is thinning ever since I started using it. I’ve never had this problem before either & I’m 40. I stopped using it & hoping my hair will come back the way it always was.

I am so sorry!

Please go and see a dermatologist. I have been losing a lot of hair and I understand you.

I wanted to come on here and share my experience as i beleive and hope that my olaplex hair loss is coming to an end. I recieved olaplex shapoo and conditioner, purple shampoo, and n0 and n6 for christmas - worst christmas gift ive ever recieved. I used these products (the shampoo and conditioner 3/4 times a week and n0 or n6 about once a week. The first week of march I began to notice my hair was falling out - I had just run out of the olaplex shampoo and conditioner thankfully so that is when I stopped using it - after many nights sobbing, clumps of my beautiful hair falling out i did some research and determined olaplex did this to me. I had insanely thick hair that barely shed - all my life people and hair stylists were taken aback by how thick my hair was - now it is incredibly thin and I had to cut several inches off - it is not growing much. I have probably lost 65% of my hair. However i am here to help those going through what i did THERE IS HOPE. Currently im losing 50 strands of hair a day (the normal amount of hair lost in a day is 50-100) and just a few hairs maybe 10-20 are coming out in the shower and its decreasing with each shower i take. Here is what i did: make sure none of the products you use contain protein - i was in protein overload with the olaplex, the hair oil i used had protien, the heat protectant i used had protien, the growth spray i used had protein, and i was taking hair gummys with keratin and collagen and biotin which all act as proteins. i avoid taking keratin,collagen, and biotin because i felt it added more protein to my hair and made things worse. HERE IS WHAT YOU NEED TO DO: get the Mizani Moisture Fusion Gentle clarifying shampoo and used this to get the protein out of your hair, then follow up with the amika soulfood nourishing mask and let that sit for about 10-15 min, rinse your hair out and apply a protein free hair oil - i used the ouai one. wash your hair every 5-6 days and avoid brushing it when wet, brush starting at your ends and be as gentle as possible, use a silk pillow case and microfiber towel, eat protein in each meal in your day and plenty of fruits and vegetables, after about 5 washes with the clarifying shampoo i noticed improvement, i have started to use rosemary water (google a tutorial on how to make it) and spray it on my hair 2 time a day, and use a rosemary oil that is mixed with a carrier oil on my hair 3 hours before i shower, now when i shower i use the mizani shampoo and then the mielle rosemary moisturizing shampoo, amika hair mask, and the oaui or rosemary oil. my hair loss is significantly less. try and not stress there is a light at the end of the tunnel. do go to your dermatologist - i did and got bloodwork done and my labs all came back completely normal but it is good to play it safe. i take vitamin d, b12, and fish oil just to feel better. there is hope and try to not stress that will make things worse!! you will not go bald and after a month or three your hair will be normal

Yes, I’ve been using this shampoo, conditioner and bond treatment for a few months and losing an extreme amount of hair.  I shampoo twice a week and naturally dry my hair, with no use of a blow dryer.  

I do not use other product applications such as gels and spray;  and have always used fairly inexpensive shampoos, due to my hair being extremely healthy and very thick. 

I lost hair from the beginning of using this product and believe something in its formula does cause hair loss to those who say they’ve lost hair.  

I believe 100% its this product causing my hair loss.

Yes! When I first saw that olaplex caused hair loss, I was like no way. Let’s just say I ate my words on that one. I’ve been using olaplex since January, I only wash my hair twice a week and had to dye my hair multiple times in the span of a week (don’t ask), so I definitely had pretty damaged hair. However, I went on vacation end of April and got chlorine in my hair and it just felt fried from the vacation. I decided to use olaplex twice a week and some weeks would use no.3 once or twice depending on how my hair was feeling. I began losing a lot more strands in the shower than was normal for me and a lot when brushing my hair wet. I didn’t notice any more hair loss during the day like others have said. I haven’t had as much hair loss as some people here maybe in total like 10-15% of my hair but it’s still so disappointing. Last night was my last time using those products and I will be switching back to my drugstore shampoo. I’m going to rewash my hair tonight because I don’t want olaplex to sit in my hair and cause any further breakage. I think I’m one of the very lucky cases where I can definitely get my hair back on track soon. I will update this after showering without olaplex since a lot of people said they noticed the hair loss decrease right away, so sorry this happening to everyone and I hope you’re all dealing with it okay because I understand how hard it is! 

Yes. I lost a ton of hair over about three months from using Olaplex shampoo/conditioner and the no. 3 treatment. Stopped using it and now my hair is growing back but I’m devastated at how much I lost. It’s SO thin. I’ve never had hair loss from a hair product before this. My sister has none of these issues from Olaplex so it’s just some people who it affects this way. 

I saw this thread AFTER I bought #Olaplex. I just used #O as a pretreatment,#4 shampoo,#5 conditioner, #6 smoothing cream with a bit of #7 oil. My hair didn’t feel great, but it didn’t fall out. I usually get a blow out once a week, so my hair is in good condition. I wish I listened to myself to this back when I had the window of time to return it. BMW-Big money and time wasted. 😒

I stopped using Olaplex 0 and 3 a month ago and I am loosing all my hair si fast. Did anyone use steroid cream?

I think is getting worse, please somebody help.

I just move here 2 months ago, I don't know what to do

Are you asking if it’s getting worse after using steroid cream? 
It was the case for me. I tried steroid solution to stop the hair shedding and itching scalp but I thought  it made it worse… it’s a mystery for me what olaplex has done to my hair that even steroids don’t help… 

The dermatologist sent me Clobetasol cream and is itching more

Thank you for your answer.

Yes, that was my question.

So, what are you doing to stop these. I am so affraid to lose all my hair

clobetasol propionate made it much worse for me… my hair started to shed even more…  I wish to know what to do…

YESS!!! Hair fell out!!! I tried Olaplex for the first time last month. I purchased No.0 Bond Builder, No.3 Hair Perfector, No.4 Bond Shampoo, No.5 Bond Conditioner and No.6 Bond Smoother from Salon Centric in Spokane, WA. I used the No.0 and No.3 together as per the directions. After the recommended conditioning time, I Shampooed  with No.4 and followed with No.5 conditioner, towel dried and applied No.6 smoother. Upon drying my hair I noticed SIGNIFICANT damage to my hair. There was breakage from the ends and a lot of hair shedding into my brush. It was shocking to say the least! I began researching reviews regarding the product and discovered many of the same complaints. I called the manager at Salon Centric and explained my concern and she offered to issue a full refund. 🙏🏻 I would Highly suggest anyone interested in this product to go in with extreme caution if you have fine or processed hair. In fact, I do NOT recommend this product. Period. 

Oh lord. I started using Olaplex a little over a year ago. I noticed a few weeks ago one side of my forehead are is receding and bald spots are under there. I have very thick hair too. I have been using 3, 4, 5, 6,7 & 9. Yesterday I was touching up my vivid color between salon visits and handfuls of hair was falling out. All of my products are full. I just spent 300$ refilling everything. Now I found this. jesus.

2 Replies
testing