Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

Olaplex 3 and hair loss?

Has anyone experience excessive shedding of hair after Olaplex 3 treatment??

I thought it was a coincidence the 1st time, but it happened after the 2nd and 3rd tx.

I used it weekly x 3, and the hair loss after the 3rd treatment is noticeable.

I will not use it again (and only used about 2/3 of 1 bottle).

No hair scalp itch or redness, to suggest an allergic reaction. 

Re: Olaplex 3 and hair loss?

Yup, You are not alone and it's NOT in your head ! Made this post three weeks ago but will repost it here. Honestly, this is not fun but I will work hard to try to get back my hair. Shame on olaplex !

OLAPLEX is causing me to LOSE ALL MY HAIR. HELP!!! (Before and after Pictures)

I have lost almost 1/2 my hair ! Last night I took pictures of the back of my hair and was SHOCKED.

My hair health: I have ALWAYS had thick (thin hair strands but a very fully head of hair) and healthy relaxed hair. I get compliments wherever I go and when my hair was longer persons would ask if I has in extensions or a wig. 

I have NEVER had to worry about my hair body.

I wouldn't have started Olaplex because I never needed it but my stylist started using is as treatment and suggested I purchase it. I just followed her lead because I trusted her guidance. I called her recently and told her what was happening she told me another client told her she experienced hairloss after using Olaplex product as well.

Now I have several HUGE  bald spots in the middle of my hair.  I am also losing hair along my hair line. I believe I have lost about 1/3 to 3/5 of my hair. It's simply falling out in my hand, on the bed , in the shower.  My hair pony tail is now perhaps less than half as thick as it usually is I hadn't realized how bad it was until recently. The most recent hair loss happened rather rapidly! I feel gaps and spaces on my scalp where there were none even 2 weeks ago. 

The only thing it could be was Olaplex. This hair loss aligns exactly with first Olaplex usage at salon and this latest significantly worsening hair loss exactly aligns with second Olaplex treatment at salon at the end of December 2022 and my own use for the first time of O and 3, and 8   since.

My hair is a texture I have never seen . It is showing symptoms of protein overload (whether of not Olaplex has protein in it or not is besides the point) my hair is now dry, lifeless, straw like, brittle and breaking. It doesn't fall down like it use to but hangs weirdly. I literally cannot wear my hair out. I had a trim at the end of December and barely three weeks later my hair ends were haggard, scrawny and knotty (this has never happened to me before.) I had to cut  1- 1/12 inches off the ends myself again.

Olaplex maybe great for some people but it definitely has not been for many. If I wasn't too engrossed in not trying to figure out how I fix my hair I'd be taking all my effort to confront the company there is some clear dishonesty going on here.

I'm 23 ! And now I'm having to figure out how to deal with potentially losing all my hair -- this is crazy! I wish my stylist never introduced my hair to this. 

britt7608_0-1643317941483.png

One spot showing hair loss

britt7608_1-1643317941556.png

Balding spot from Olaplex

britt7608_2-1643317941162.png

Hair post olaplex very thin (more hair has fallen out since this picture)

Pic before Olaplex was first used in my hair to show hair body/thickness then and now

britt7608_3-1643317941241.png

Hair thickness before Olaplex

britt7608_4-1643317941370.png

Going through the same thing right now and my hair loss looks a lot like yours! Wondering if you've made any progress in re-growing your hair? I am so scared that my loss will be permanent.

I am so sorry for your hair loss.:( 

I had the exact same experience with Olaplex. My hair had ringlets but after Olaplex, it was straight, brittle, broke off everywhere and a ton fell out/bald spots. I went to a beauty salon that recommended a natural based hair line called Eufora (wonderful products that saved my hair!). A year has gone by now and my ringlets are back. So don't you worry, your hair will all come back the way it used to be! 

My hair looks very similar to this with the bald spots. I have Caucasian hair but it was always very wavy and healthy. Olaplex destroyed my hair. I stopped using it 2 months ago and although my hair fall/shedding has decreasing it is still significantly more than normal. I have been using a clarifying shampoo suggested on this page, moisture masks, hair envy hair oil on my scalp, and I even got steroid injections from my dermatologist into the bald spot. I have tiny little spikey hairs growing on the bald spot but like I said my hair is still shedding all over. I have lost at least 50% of my volume. I had all my labs done and everything came back optimal so the doctors chalk it up to stress but I know in my heart it was the olaplex. I just wish I knew how to make the hair fall stop 

I tried Olaplex yesterday for the first time! Bad idea! I used Number 0 & 3 I tried to wash it out and detangle in the shower but then my hair started to shed and come out from the root in my detangling brush! I kind of started to panic but then decided to stop detangling before it got worse. I’m pretty knowledgeable about hair so I knew I was having a bad reaction to the product. I immediately grabbed my clarifying shampoo ( melanin reviving shampoo) and washed my hair twice! That immediately helped but my hair was still reacting to the product. So I decided to make my own low protein deep conditioner to balance my scalps ph. I combined a whole avocado, avocado oil, Mayo, and egg, and hair growth oil ( curly Proverbz fenugreek elixir) I first coated my scalp with the oil, and then I coated my entire head with the mixture with out detangling, covered it with a plastic cap and let it sit for an hour. When I tell you, this saved my hair!!! obviously there is still damage but it minimize any further damage that would of occurred! I did loss a lot of hair but my hair hasn’t Suffered any more damage and the shedding has stopped for now! Also I would put my hair in a style that doesn’t require constant manipulation, your hair is fragile right now and over washing could create more damage! This worked for me and I will provide updates when I rewash my hair! Try this if you can, it doesn’t  hurt to try!  

Update: I washed my hair yesterday again, it has been 2 week since I used Olaplex. The shedding is still more then usual but less then the first time. I used the clarifying shampoo and my homemade low protein treatment. I think that for me I loss more hair when I detangle in the shower then when my hair is damp. Not sure if it’s a water ph thing or not. But next time I will detangle after my hair is damp and not soaking wet to see if that makes a difference. Will provide an update in two weeks. 

Oh my gosh I got this because I die my hair blonde and everyone told me not to use Monat but the texture of my hair is terrible now and it’s breaking left n right and so dry!!! Everyone told me this was the best I have gone through the whole large shampoo conditioner and Olaplex no 3!!!😭 and just got out of the shower my hair felt so funny and that’s all I used so decided to Google just in case and seeing all of this OH MY GOSH!!!!  Well at least I know what it is now!!!! But my gosh there’s sooooo much damage down and I literally have about 1/4 of the hair I used to!

I have spent around $600 using olaplex for the last eight months straight. I spent an hour in the bathroom last night looking into the mirror and crying my eyes out, because my hair is falling out. The only thing I have done differently is using olaplex. My hair is around 15 inches long, but the entire top portion of my hair, around the crown Is now only one inches, to 4 inches long. It’s different lengths all around the top of my head and next to my ears. Olaplex  destroyed my hair. I never had breakage, ever. During Covid I stopped straightening my hair before any Trues to make excuses  for olaplex, and Blame my breakage on heat. I’ve only had one balayage in the last 6 years, no other hair dying or damaging  chemicals and i don’t have any thyroid issues. 

everyone follows olaplex like a cult, i was conned into thinking it was going to make my hair healthier, instead it broke my hair off!! My hair is dry, brittle, and my beautiful natural curls are almost straight now! 

I followed the directions to their entire line, i made absolutely NO shortcuts, not ever! 

olaplex was the worst decision I’ve ever made for my hair. 

I want to report that olaplex has caused sever sever hair loss.  I checked if its authentic by looking on the bottom of the bottle and it does have a QR code.

Has anyone else experience this.

Everyone should report hair loss with Olaplex

I am so happy I have found this thread! I’ve felt like I’m going crazy because I’ve noticed tremendous hair loss ever since I started using Olaplex and everyone has tried to convince me it’s not that. When I read the one comment about a tingling scalp I almost screamed because I have been experiencing the same thing! I thought it was in my head, but now after reading all these comments I feel like I’m not nuts lol. Also, idk who their PR people are, but they must do an amazing job at covering it all up because this is the only site that actually talks about it and let’s people post!

There’s Also some threads in Reddit, what to expect, and a Facebook group 

Omg I can’t believe this!!! I thought I was crazy cause I have been losing a ton of hair ever since starting olaplex. It’s been a huge stress of mine. I’ve never had issues with my hair and now it looks absolutely terrible. 

I have severe hair loss due to Olaplex.  My dermatologist prescribed cortisone liquid to help.  

Has anyone else experienced this?  It was also accompanied by itchy scalp.  I have no dandruff.

Has anyone experienced itchy scalp and hair loss with Olaplex?

I have, my dermatologist prescribed steroid injections now. She originally said this was TE from stress but now she thinks there may be inflammation but will not admit that it could be from olaplex. I am so desperate I think I may try the injections 

There are posts on a site with pics of red faces and shoulders from the olaplex. I can't remember if it's on here or somewhere else. I saw them during my research . Obviously, like any other thing, a portion of population will have a bad reaction. I'm so sorry that this is not resolved for you. 

Hey,

I noticed you mentioned inflammation of the scalp. I have been to multiple dermatologist at this point and I also believe my scalp is inflamed. I was prescribed a shampoo called Ketoconzolye, to get rid of my extremely oily scalp and dandruff. So far, there has been no improvement, I am losing the same amount of hair.

Also, to mention, my scalp is so extremely oily... not even a couple hours after washing my hair, it gets back to its oilyness. I wash my hair everyother day, I have been doing this my entire life and never experienced an oily scalp like this. My scalp is also extremely itchy with dandruff (I have never had dandruff in my life until I put Olaplex in my hair).

I believe Olaplex has caused my scalp to become inflamed, I am going to try this prescribed shampoo and rotate it between clarifying shampoo as well. I will keep you all updated on my hair loss.

Also, I am getting a scalp biopsy done soon.

My dermatologist said that this will for sure tell me what is causing my hair loss. Ranging from TE, to inflammation of the scalp, etc. I have already got every category of blood taken, it has all come back perfect. I have had more than 3 opinions on my blood work, everyone says it’s perfect.

The scalp biopsy will be my evidence against Olaplex. I am way too young to be experiencing hair loss like this, I know that my hair loss is all because I used Olaplex.

I am so curious if you got your biopsy results back 🙏

Very very curious to see what your results are going to be considering I’m having the same issues! Thanks for the updates. Good luck on the scalp biopsy! 

Yes my dermatologist will not admit it’s olaplex, but she uses olaplex herself!!! Her theories are either TE from stress and lack of sleep,  alopecia areata developed from an immune response from my Covid vaccine, or inflammation from an unknown cause? She offered a scalp biopsy but I declined for now as my insurance has $1000 deductible that I would have to pay first and I just can’t afford that at the moment. She said the steroid shots are used to treat inflammation and alopecia areata so I may give them a try. I keep telling her there cannot me so many people like me in this group that have the same symptoms after using olaplex but she keeps going back to is this a correlation or a causation? She says the hair loss appointments have sky rockets this passed year becasue Covid causes hair loss, the vaccines can cause hair loss, stress and lack of sleep cause hair loss…. That it’s just a coincidence that I was using olaplex at the time this all started. I am very interested to know how your biopsy comes back… please update us when you get the results. I will update if I decide to get the shots and if they help at all

I believe that the dermatologist saying that “Olaplex can’t cause hairloss” is because there is little to no research behind this product. Olaplex came out in 2014, meaning it is still a fairly new product.

The dermatologist are standing by the medical perspective, they did not study Olaplex in medical school. That is why they are trying to say our hairloss is caused by something other than Olaplex... however, you cannot deny the facts when every woman is experiencing the exact same symptoms after using this product. 

I would say trust your self and what you believe. Remember, the people you talk to are only giving their opinions and input on the situation. However, at the end of the day, you are the one to decide what you should do. If you believe the root cause is Olaplex, trust that feeling.

I will definitely keep you updated when I get my scalp biopsy done! I have also heard about the steroid injections, to help with the inflammation. It may be worth a shot.

testing