Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

Olaplex 3 and hair loss?

Has anyone experience excessive shedding of hair after Olaplex 3 treatment??

I thought it was a coincidence the 1st time, but it happened after the 2nd and 3rd tx.

I used it weekly x 3, and the hair loss after the 3rd treatment is noticeable.

I will not use it again (and only used about 2/3 of 1 bottle).

No hair scalp itch or redness, to suggest an allergic reaction. 

Re: Olaplex 3 and hair loss?

You are so right. I hate that this is such a mystery and I get so caught up in the fact that I can’t have an answer. I have such a type A personality that I have literally become obsessed with finding an answer that I will probably never get.

I totally understand how you feel, it is a very defeating situation. You feel like there is no hope, like it will never end. Hairloss is one of the most difficult things to deal with because it changes our appearance, our emotions, and our mentality. My hair has always been my pride and joy, seeing it fall out has taken a huge toll on me.

On top of that, you have people telling you it could be telogen effluvium, vitamin deficiency, stress induced, hormonal change, lack of sleep, etc. It is not only frustrating, but very confusing. Hair loss can be caused by so many things. However, like I said, trust yourself and what you believe. If you can rule out the blood work like I did, there really is only one key player left... Olaplex.

I am a very strong believer that Olaplex is causing my hair loss, I have medical documents and blood work to back me up.

Thank you so much for all of your advice and kind words it really had helped me today. I have had some many blood panels ran and they all came back normal. I know it’s not a deficiency. Could it be lack or sleep or stress? Well yea, I mean we are living through a pandemic …. I’m constantly worried about my family getting sick,  I miss me friends, and im a teacher which is a whole other added problem during this pandemic. I did try the shampoo everyone was recommending and I feel like maybe I had more normal hair loss today? I honestly don’t even know what is normal anymore…. I also still have to go comb it out which is definitely when I lose the most and my least favorite part of wash days. But honestly, thank you so much ☺️ 

Hi everyone, 

Update about my hair loss and my recovery for those interested

(between, I'm French so sorry about any English mistakes)

My post about my hair loss was posted the 20/09/21

I want to say that today my excessive hair loss (maybe 200 by day, I couldn't even touch my hair without having 5 hair in my hand) nearly stopped all because of the post of queenlia74 (11/03/21) about the tresemmé clarifying shampoo.

I bought it the 8 of November without having high hope and now I only regret not buying it sooner.

For the first time using it, I saw a difference. I literally cried from happiness. I knew the living hell was not over but it was hope so yeah it made me cry...

I have thick wavy hair that olaplex completely ruined. But with the tresemmé shampoo, my waves were back just after the first use, I was so happy. My hair become really thin because of olaplex, tresemmé helped a little, but I think I will see the real result next year when my hair will have had more growth.

I still have spot boldness of course, tresemmé stop the hair loss, it's not a miracle product who make hair grow in a week, but I know that the spot did not became more bold after using the clarifying shampoo as it was the case every week before I use tresemmé. And the clarifying shampoo helped with the volume of my hair so now I can at least hide the bold spot with my volume.

I also cut my hair to my shoulder last week and I know it also help.

For my hair routine, it's nothing much, I use the conditionner tresemmé once a month and the shampoo every week. It's been 2 months now, I know maybe I can stop using the clarifying shampoo, but I'm a little scared the hair loss will come back so I didn't have the courage to stop using it. Maybe soon, fingers crossed.

I know that since November, a lot of people posted about the tresemmé brand and saying it helped them, and I can only agree with them. I really really recommend it.

Some of their products like the clarifying shampoo are a little bit pricey (at least it's the case in France where I live, and I only could bought it on Amazon to have it fast, but I since bought it secondhand for less money, still with the plastic packaging so I know it was really new) but it's worth every penny..

I don't really know what to add other than yeah please try the tresemmé brand or any other clarifying shampoo. I don't really know if it's using that particular brand or just any clarifying shampoo that help so maybe try one or another but know there is hope.

I want to thank all of the post here, especially those who talked about their recovery and so the tresemmé brand, I think I would be bold by now if it was not for you ❤️

It's really sad that we can't get help from olaplex, they should be ashame of themselves

Again, don't loose hope please, I know it's hard, but their is products out there who can really help.

Don't hesitate to ask questions if you want, I will try to be as helpful than my pier before me.

Yess!! Your experience sounds EXACTLY like mine, I've written here before and I recommended the tressemme clarifying shampoo and shampoo + conditioner, I was so desperate I washed my hair every shower with both lol. But it did the job and my insane hairloss stopped! I do sometimes feel one day is more shedding than another but all in all I got nothing to complain about and hope my hair grows back and I get all my volume back. I now use the tressemme moisturizing shampoo which I also posted before and a shu uemura hair oil to give it extra moisture. I do think it is the Olaplex and it set something off, for me it started in the shower washing it out, NEVER had an issue before. But going to a dermatologist is like going to any other doctor the more doctors you go to the more opinions you get. So I'd say trust your guts. Most people here have almost identical experiences and this is not by coincidence. 

Not really but it is very good anyone who have the same kinds of ...

I agree.  Thanks to the wonderful women on this post who did the research and came up with clarifying shampoo to stop the Olaplex hair loss!! I went to the closest store and bought Alberto V05 clarifying because I had nothing to lose. If my hair loss trajectory didn't stop; I would be bald. Within a month of using I am back to normal shedding. I am still experiencing breakage as the hair I am left with is destroyed.  Here's hoping for new hair growth! I have bald spots ( some the size of a dime) all over my head. I will post if my hair grows back and what that hair is like.  

I have been using Paul Mitchell shampoo 2 for over a month which the girl at Ulta told me was a clarifying shampoo and when I look this up it does seem to be a clarifying shampoo but my hair is still shedding!!! Maybe this clarifying shampoo is not strong enough? I am getting really defeated here. 

I would like to recommend a very gentle and natural clarifying shampoo called Eufora: Nourish, Urgent Repair Shampoo. You can buy this at --- . their whole hair care line is natural based and does not harm your hair. This hair care line saved my hair! I have been using this line for a little over one year after I stopped Olaplex and my hair is now back to normal and maybe even better!

Try a different clarifying shampoo.

Yea I’m going to try that.

my dermatologist is so Insistent that it’s not the olaplex I don’t even know what to try anymore. 

she thinks that it from stress or a reaction from the vaccine. This mystery is taking the biggest toll on my mental health every day

I understand, I was so depressed with my hair loss...

I agree with the answer above, try another clarifying shampoo. I still recommend the "Tresemmé deep cleansing for all hair type" shampoo. Give it a go for a month and tell us if it helped. Don't loose hope, we didn't and we are better, there is still hope for you too

Thank you. I am going to try and buy that shampoo tomorrow. 

Yes. Don't give up hope. Keep trying and stay positive.  Olaplex needs to be sued off the face of the planet. Keep us posted.  🙏 I'll let you know if any of my hair starts to grow back. 

I will … it’s still my gut feeling that this is olaplex fault even if my dermatologist doesn’t believe it. 

I posted a while back as my hair loss started liver a year ago. I saw a dermatologist that specializes in hair loss after getting the regular blood work and seeing my doctor. The dermatologist agreed was from Olaplex and gave me steroid cream for my scalp. I went through two prescriptions. I had cut my hair short and she said to refrain from any processing for a while. After couple months I got the green light that processing was ok. My hair seemed to be getting better but had a turn back. She said the fall out is from the product but the breakage is processing on the damaged hair. 
I saw the question about oily scalp. I for sure had that. My hair would look like hadn’t been washed in long time but had just been washed. I also experienced tingling on the crown. All of that went away and hasn’t come back.  My key will be to watch the processing as my hair is still extremely more fragile than before. I currently have hair extensions to try and give most of it a break. They have been in 2.5 months. This allows processing only on top and hopefully heat from styling is mostly on the extensions. I don’t live the extensions but was desperate. The dermatologist also suggested PRP, which I decided not to do but could be worth looking into. 

You said you posted a while back? What kind of time line are we looking at?? I need to know when my hair will stop shedding 

I used Olaplex from Aug 2020 - Dec 2020. Hair loss, lots of hair falling out, bald spots, really bad breakage all over, scalp was not happy one bit.

Before Olaplex, I had thick ringlets. After Olaplex, my hair was thin/straight and would not curl at all. My hair was down to the middle of my back and I made the decision to cut most of it off (up to the nape of my neck) around the end of December 2020.

The salon I went to recommended the natural based Eufora hair care line. I started using the --- hair care line and it took about 4-6 months before my hair started to look and feel the way it used to.

Now, a little over a year later, all of my ringlets are back with a vengeance and my hair is better than it was before I started using that toxic poison (Olaplex).

Eufora literally saved my hair. My daughters are now using the Eufora hair care line as well and say they can't believe how healthy their hair is now! 

Just have patience! 🙂

I used Olaplex Dec 2020 and January 2021. Quit and cut off hair. It took only a few months for hair to seem better but not the same. I use Davines Momo shampoo and conditioner and stay clear of anything else (I’ve used that for years so know my hair likes it). 

Did you have inflammation on your scalp? ( reason for steroid cream) Olaplex needs to be sued out of business.  !! 

What kind of steroid cream did you use? 

2 Replies
testing