Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

Olaplex 3 and hair loss?

Has anyone experience excessive shedding of hair after Olaplex 3 treatment??

I thought it was a coincidence the 1st time, but it happened after the 2nd and 3rd tx.

I used it weekly x 3, and the hair loss after the 3rd treatment is noticeable.

I will not use it again (and only used about 2/3 of 1 bottle).

No hair scalp itch or redness, to suggest an allergic reaction. 

Re: Olaplex 3 and hair loss?

@hairloss Protein overload is actually a high likelihood cause protein overload encourages hair shedding and seals the cuticle from receiving any moisture making it dry and brittle.  Protein is included in so many products so it’s easy to overdo it- especially with hair that isn’t porous/damaged to begin with.  If you have virgin unporous/undamged hair your hair likely doesn’t need extra protein.  It’s more something for occasional treatment of super porous highly damaged hair that will still allow for moisture treatments to get through.
mixing a cup of water with 2tsp of apple cider vinegar and doing a rinse once a week should act as a clarifier and eliminate any product build up.  
If you suspect protein overload make sure not to use products that claim to contain coconut oil, kératine, amino acids.  
Also use a moisturizing cream on wet hair after your clarifying treatment and then seal it in with a hair oil until your hair is looking and feeling healthier.  

I am so sorry to hear this 😔 I would recommend contacting the FDA with the details of your experience and a link to this post so they can look into Olaplex ASAP and prevent another woman from going through what we’ve went though. Hang in there! 

I look exactly like Gollum too

Ok so after we clarify to get the olaplex out what is everyone using as an every wash shampoo and conditioner?? I have to switch from clarifying eventually to keep my hair from drying out completely but every review I read on shampoo and condition now has someone saying it’s terrible or is making their hair fall out. I’m so traumatized and scared to try something new but I need something. I have fine wavy hair that is highlighted … I used to have a lot of it before this whole ordeal so people would say I have thick hair but honestly it was fine just a lot. Any suggestions on something that will help with frizz softness moisture?????? 

Hi there,

How long did it take for you to see an improvement in the hair loss with using the clarifying shampoo?

How many times did you wash your hair in a week with the clarifying shampoo?

Did you have a greasy scalp after using Olaplex?

I have been using clarifying shampoo for a week and a half now, I have not seen any improvement. I have a greasy scalp from using Olaplex 6 weeks ago, it seems to be a protein overload causing hair loss from the root. Any information you have would help, thank you!

My hair loss started in October when I bought the entire line of Olaplex and started using it. I have been to the dermatologist. My scalp is fine. My blood work came back normal. I always do bloodwork so I know I don't have vitamin deficiency. I have no inflammation markers, hormone imbalance etc

The olaplex made my hair extremely dry. I couldn't get a brush through it after washing. I have lost over 60% of my hair. It was waist length and I cut it to my shoulders.  I can only wear wigs. There's nothing I can do to make it look normal.  I used clarifying shampoo 5 times- once every 4 days. I am now going to use moisture shampoo, conditioner and masks

Frederick Fekkai Shea Butter line. It is what i used to grow my hair to my waist. I never got greasy from Olaplex. Your body tried to balance out the drying effect of Olaplex- so it sounds. My hair loss has slowed by 80%. 

I am still losing a lot of hair but my hair is getting so dry from using the clarifying shampoo and ACV rinse that I need to mix something else in. I used to wash my hair every 3-4 days but I’ve been trying every other day to get more washes in. I wish the shedding would stop it’s so defeating. I guess I don’t know if it’s from the olaplex but I don’t know what else it could be. I’m waiting on an appointment with a dermatologist but I lose so much every day it’s a nightmare 

how long has it been going on? 

After using the ACV and clarifying shampoo, I’ve been using the brands Kerastase and MoroccanOil. Between the oils, shampoos/conditioners and hair masks I’ve had all positive outcomes. My hair is becoming healthier again and my hair loss has decreased quite a bit! Just a recommendation 🙂 

Hi there,

I have been using clarifying shampoo for about a week and a half now.... I have not noticed any improvement in my hair loss. My scalp is very greasy as well, after using Olaplex 6 weeks ago. I am losing about 130 strands a day, which is not normal for myself.

How long did it take for you to see improvement in your hair loss after using clarifying shampoo?

Good to hear that your hair is improving!

I don’t think all bond builders are bad @BellaBaron if used at the right frequency on hair that truly needs it. Clearly there is a common theme here of certain hair types / hair chemistries becoming overloaded and comprised and snapping off either at the root or within the shaft as a result of these ingredients. I would suggest proceeding with caution and really staying in tune with the health of your hair even after just one use! 

I also recommend the Shu Uemura Essence Absolute Hair Oil along with their Urban Moisture Shampoo, Conditioner and Mask. The brand IS a bit expensive but worth it to restore the health of your hair. I’m sure you’ll agree! 

Focus on moisture, moisture and more moisture, along with a clarifying shampoo and deep conditioning mask once or twice a week. Read ingredient lists carefully and avoid protein or bond building ingredients at all costs. Good luck!!! 

Oh no, are all bond builders bad? Of course I just ordered the K18 yesterday since I can no longer use my formerly beloved Olaplex. Damn,

Let us know if K18 works. I'm worried that it has proteins.

I'll start by saying my hair has always been very protein-sensitive, a little protien used by mistake will make it look like I have only about 10 very stiff, strawlike hairs on my head. So I was a little apprehensive about the K18, but so desperate to try SOMETHING since my hair is very wispy, and the minute humidity (or wind) hits it I look like the Cryptkeeper!

Anyway, I read all the reviews on K18 that I could find. A lot of "a little goes a long way", "use only a pea-sized drop". So that's what I did, the results were underwhelming, ends felt dry and tangled. That was a couple weeks ago. This morning I decided to try it again because all the feedback on it is so positive, but this time I decided to really coat my hair with it. My hair is shoulder length buy very thin now with a wispy texture - I started with a 1-inch line on my ends but it soaked in fast, so used another 1-inch line for midshaft to roots, let it soak in 4 minutes (could already see improvement in my texture at this point), added heat protectant and styled. My hair looks better than it has since all this started! It looks silkier instead of crinkly and wispy, and when I checked the back of my hair in the mirror it looked thicker, couldn't see my neck through the strands, and it actually swung when I moved my head from side to side! I am beyond thrilled, and will continue with the 6-day regimen to see what happens! (I used Purador shampoo, no conditioner, K18, and Oribe Tres Set). Good luck ladies!

Same, I also started reading all the reviews and there's always some that have hairloss in the reviews.

I'm going to shift at some point from the clarifying to a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner,I already bought one, from tresemme as well because I had a good experience with their clarifying shampoo in regards to the olaplex hairloss and will just stick to the same brand now. I haven't tried that out yet so I haven't posted or want to recommend it really.

But what I do recommend that's really good is the Shu Uemura Essence absolute Hair oil for moisturizing and not actually having your hair feel like its oily, its a little expensive but I bought it like 3 years ago at a salon and I JUST ran out! It's super long lasting and amazing for your hair, so I try to keep my moisture in my hair through that and it definitely works! Just re-bought it on sephora here and its on sale in a package if anyone is interested. 

Wishing all a non-hairloss 2022! Take care of yourselves 

Did you apply the Shu Uemura to your scalp directly?

Or did you only apply the oil to the ends of your hair?

Sorry I just saw this. I used the SHu umemura oil before my hair loss.... but I have been using more since so 3 times pressing the thing, it goes A REALLY long way. I usually do it when coming out of the shower after dabbing my hair dry with a towel and during that put most in my ends but also at the end of that: run whatever is left on my hands through my roots and scalp so its not a huge amount. and then when dried or after styling my hair I sometimes put some more extra into my ends again. I feel like it doesn't make your hair very oily anyway and the hair really absorbs it. They also have an overnight serum with the same oil type and I bought a set on sephora when they had a Christmas sale and it's pretty good as well!

@jamieh11 I personally apply the shu uemura oil from roots to ends pretty generously (2-3 pumps on my long but thin hair) so some product is getting on the scalp. I don’t intentionally apply directly to the scalp tho. Interested to see how others use it. Hope this helps in the meantime! 

Wishing you a non-hairloss 2022 also my friend! One can only hope this somehow doesn’t continue to other people’s beautiful heads of hair 😕

I am 3 shampoos in on the clarifying.  I am shampooing once every 5 days. I plan on using Davines. I have used it in the past.  I absolutely love Fekkai essential Shea butter mask. It is how I grew my hair to my waist. I plan on still using that for moisture treatments. I like Fekkai products. I buy directly from their website.  

testing