Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

Olaplex 3 and hair loss?

Has anyone experience excessive shedding of hair after Olaplex 3 treatment??

I thought it was a coincidence the 1st time, but it happened after the 2nd and 3rd tx.

I used it weekly x 3, and the hair loss after the 3rd treatment is noticeable.

I will not use it again (and only used about 2/3 of 1 bottle).

No hair scalp itch or redness, to suggest an allergic reaction. 

Re: Olaplex 3 and hair loss?

I wish there was just a way to know for sure so I could know what to be doing to make it better. It feels like the clarifying shampoo is working but when do I switch to something else so I don’t strip my hair of all moisture. I wish there were more people on here talking about how their hair recovered lol I try to ask people who post a year ago but they never answer. Sending positive vibes your way…. 

Exactly.  To you too! Hang in there. This too shall pass. 

I am so glad to hear you're doing the clarifying shampoo and ACV rinse and it's working!!  I almost cried when I saw that it was getting rid of the Olaplex.  I also started using the Kerastase Elixir Oil and it does a nice job.  We need to all file a lawsuit.

It’s definitely making my hair feel better but I’m still shedding so much I’m scared I’m going to go completely bald before it stops. I really hope it stops soon I’m still loosing over 100 strands a day. Today I bought hair fibers to cover up the bald spot on the back of my head so I can wear my hair down again but I’m still so self conscious. This is like a bad dream …I want a lawsuit too 

I hope you were able to resolve your shedding issues. It sounds like you had an issue going on with your scalp. Did you ever try a caffeine tea rinse? Caffeine can stop shedding in its tracks. I would also see a derm if it keeps up.  

I’ve seen a derm but no real answers and still shedding 

The only thing that stopped my shedding was Hair Envy by Vitality Extracts oil (massage a few drops into scalp before bed, shampoo in the morning) and Purador Advanced Therapy Shampoo. The Hair Envy cut the shedding by 75%, when I added the Purador it took a day or two but shedding is down to maybe 10 strands a day for several weeks now. I wish I had found them before I lost 70% of my hair, but now focusing on regrowth. I purchased both on Amazon although both manufacturers have websites.

Also do you feel like these products are authentic off of Amazon 

I ordered from Amazon for same day shipping as I was frantic from losing so much hair! I have since ordered a 3-pack of the Hair Envy from Vitality Extracts and I don't notice a difference in the packaging or product. I can't speak to the Purador, but my shedding has stopped. When I reorder I will order direct from mfr and compare. 

Thank you I will look these up.

Im so glad I found this feed because I am experiencing similar issues. I got my hair cut along with the treatment late October. I noticed excessive hair loss mid November through now (Dec 21st). I lose so much hair especially after showering. I normally shed alot but not this much! Its too much to the point where I need to visit the doctor and see what the hell is going on.  I totally saw the difference after French braiding my hair the other day. I will have to try using clarifying shampoo as mentioned from dozens of customers. I hope the stylists know about this problem and should stop trying to push this treatment on clients who are unaware of the possible risks. Hopefully no other serious damage to our health from this treatment/product will turn up in the future. I also want to mention that I am physically active 5 days/week, eat healthy, & endure normal day to day stress as a teacher. 

Has anyone heard from someone who suffered  from olaplex hair loss last year? I wonder what happened and if hair grew back?

I had lots of hair loss this year, due to stress.

Now I have cancer, so not so

much of a worry. 
I use to use oliplex 3 with a serum underneath over night as advised by my old  hair dresser it worked at first but stree toot it toil on my hair and more and more fell out.

I love oleplex but it mane my hair didn’t like or need it causing more damage.

I'm sorry to hear about your cancer.  I wish you the best possible outcome.

Following because I would like to know also… I feel like I have some hair growing back when I rub my hand over the bald spot I can feel tiny spikey hairs but it’s hard to tell I would love some reassurance that this is permanent 

I went to a wig store today and the older woman working there asked if I was going through treatment. I look exactly like the crypt keeper. It sounds like I have lost the most. I've lost 60 to 70% of my hair. I'm hoping that the wigs are only for a couple years until I can wear a short Bob.

PLEASE HELP!!! 

I am going through the same thing, I have experienced excessive hair loss for 4 weeks now. What do I do to get rid of the overload of protein in my hair?

Do I use ACV rinse and then shampoo with a clarifying shampoo immediately after? Should I wash my hair daily or every other day?

How long did it take to see improvement afterwards?

Hey, I have the same thing that started for me in the first week of November, only used Olaplex twice because I saw it in the reviews, but since I used olaplex successfully without issues in the past, last time 2 years ago I thought that wouldn't happen to me! And I wrote my story here 2-3 weeks ago in the forum.

My hair was falling out at the root, and I could literally pull out strands and strands of hair without pulling. My hairloss was always the worst after showering, I would barely touch it the rest of the time, and I since the hairloss I started showering only every 3-5 days and otherwise kept my hair up in a loose bun with a soft oversized scrunchie. 

I also counted hair so I knew approx. how much I actually loose - the first two days, literally it started in the shower when using the Olaplex the first time I lost SO much hair in hindsight and I just thought I was paranoid! But since then I counted and on my worst day I lost 170+ hairs and just stopped counting cause I couldn't take it anymore.

After that it went down to 160, then 120 ... and I took the advice from some other people in the forum - which I wish I would've directly done, but I honestly was afraid to use a new shampoo AGAIN, and make it worse, but obviously it wasn't getting better on its own, so I used:

the Tressemme clarifying shampooS that were recommended here on the forum, it took 4-5 washes, but for the first time in my last 2 showers I only had a hand full of hair coming out during the shower, but after my second last shower still a lot of hair loss, even though less than initially..and then after the last shower my hair loss was basically reduced 90% !

So for now I think I made it over the worst! I believe the clarifying shampoos helped absolutely and we need to get rid of whatever is left of the olaplex on our hair. I actually was so desperate that in every shower I used both clarifying shampoos , first the one that's just shampoo and then the one that's shampoo and conditioner together!

I also used my Shu Umera hair oil after which makes my hair finally feel good again. 

And I will probably switch after the next few hair washes if it stays like this to a moisturizing shampoo that I bought. 

I agree with others, do not use anything that got protein in it, just in case. Screen Shot 2021-12-19 at 11.27.12 AM.png

What had helped me 

So you would say 4-5 washes until you noticed a difference. I’ve done two washes with clarifying shampoo and one ACV rinse…. I have used olaplex for a very long time tho…. Probably 2 years if the shampoo and conditioner but I never had hair loss like this until this past fall. I went to the doctor and there are no underlying causes of hair loss so I just keep thinking it just be the olaplex tho I don’t know why I could use it so long before with no problems. I wonder if I’m right and it is the olaplex that it will take more shampoos to get it out of my hair since I used it for so long…. I’m so sad I just ordered hair fibers to cover up the bald spot On the back of my head 

Yes, it took 4-5, maybe 6 showers with clarifying shampoo for mine to stop - but also I only used olaplex TWICE until I directly stopped using it cause I knew the hairloss must be from it. And I didn't stop after the first time use and shower when my hair fell out because I thought I was paranoid from reading some reviews talking about hairloss, but after the second time and the time in between it was undeniable it was happening and badly! ....so I don't know if this will make a huge difference if you only used olaplex a few times or often / over longer periods of time... I guess it could take longer the longer /more often you use it cause there's more product/ build up on the hair. 

I did wish I would've directly ran to the store and bought the clarifying shampoos when it all started. So I recommend DONT WAIT, try it in case it works for you. People are different, so this may not be the solution for everyone, but I tried waiting and thought it may calm down on it's own, but I may just have lost more hair for a longer time, and it just didn't stop at all! I definitely waited for ca. 3weeks and then there was also a part of me that was still in disbelief even though so much of my hair just literally fell out of my head. Scary! I easily lost like 20% of my hair/volume in the last 1.5 months.

I want to join this Facebook hairloss group but still no one accepted my request!!  But I'd be interested in making a spread sheet to see how long hairloss lasted for different people, how long/often they used olaplex and what helped them etc.

But now since my last shower 2-3 days ago it's been a huge change. I literally started crying cause I was so happy that my hair didn't fall out like before when I ran my fingers through my hair, dried it and super carefully brushed it. I will still keep counting my hair so I know what's going on.  

I don't want to praise the day before the evening, but I really do notice a difference...  

I have not done the Apple Cider Vinegar rinse, and now that I'm back to nearly normal times I maybe don't want to stress my poor hair/head more. I just keep using the clarifying shampoo for a few more showers to get rid of it all, and then switch to a moisturizing shampoo, and see what happens.

I do believe our hair will eventually grow back and I also think we all have to be positive - even though it's really hard in this situation and so traumatic and sad!

The other problem is now when I look around for shampoos I read the reviews and there are many products where people report hairloss, even the biolage shampoo I saw it on the reviews, so I didn't buy it. But the tresseme worked well for me, that's why I also bought a moisturizing shampoo from them. 

Thank you so much for all this information. I tried to join the Facebook group too but they also didn’t accept my request. I am going to continue the clarifying shampoo and just try to stay positive. I wish I stopped using olaplex sooner but I had no idea that was cause becasue I had been using it for so long without this happening. I wonder if they changed the formulation or maybe it was just built up over time I have no idea. I have read places about protein overload in your hair but some people say olaplex is loaded with protein and others say it has none so I am so confused by the ingredient list becasue they all sound like chemicals to me. Becasue if this I’m trying to find a shampoo and conditioner  to use after the clarifying that doesn’t have protein but is moisturizing which is super hard. Everything has some sneaky protein hiding in it. I have been putting morrocan oil in my hair and taking anti hair loss supplements from Bondiboost, a multivitamin, and ashwaganda gummies with zinc and vitamin d.  I just hope it stops shesdding soon, some days I feel like it’s better but it’s so hard to tell, I don’t know how you count every strand.

2 Replies
testing