Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

Olaplex 3 and hair loss?

Has anyone experience excessive shedding of hair after Olaplex 3 treatment??

I thought it was a coincidence the 1st time, but it happened after the 2nd and 3rd tx.

I used it weekly x 3, and the hair loss after the 3rd treatment is noticeable.

I will not use it again (and only used about 2/3 of 1 bottle).

No hair scalp itch or redness, to suggest an allergic reaction. 

Re: Olaplex 3 and hair loss?

I just bought all that because I had good luck with the smoothing cream and bonding oil. I don’t use the shampoo and conditioner all the time, but now  I’m afraid to try it. Thanks for the warning. I’ve had enough stress this year and don’t want to lose my hair. I hope that everyone else’s hair grows back. I love Briogeo Don't Despair, Repair!™ Deep Conditioning Hair Mask 8 oz/ 237 mL , so I may just stick to that.

Yes. I've never experienced hair loss until the day I decided to give Olaplex a try. It was very noticeable as I washed it out of my hair (along with handfuls of my own hair). Very scary. I threw it away after that. This reminds me of the Wen lawsuits. I want in on the class action. lol

I read through a lot of these posts and I looked at a lot of these pictures and what these people are experiencing is called Telogen Effluvium. I know this because I have done nothing but read about this for the past four months because I got TE from rapid weight loss and stress, loosing nearly 70% of my 3c curls. Still battling it. I think it’s really important to note that this can be caused by a myriad of issues. Stress, food deficiencies, diets, childbirth, surgeries or viruses to name a few. I saw several mentions of Covid also. Covid is a WELL KNOWN and well documented cause of TE. High amounts of stress (we all experienced major stress last year with the pandemic) are also very common, death of a loved one, moving states etc. Just to let you know your trigger is typically 2 to 3 months before the actual hair starts falling out. The shedding typically lasts from 3 to 6 months. I also saw some pictures that are pretty classic symptoms of AGA in here also. That can be determined by a good derm or a trichologist  with a biopsy. 

I’m not trying to discredit people that are saying Olaplex is causing the hair loss I definitely think that it can if you are allergic to one or more of the ingredients. I also see a correlation most people are saying that it’s happening with the number 3 which I personally have not used but I do use the 4,5,6 which have been a godsend during my hair loss! TE changes the texture of your hair as well. 

If you’re experiencing large amounts of hair shedding I first suggest you go take a Covid antibody test so you can see if maybe you were asymptomatic Covid. There are some ppl suggesting the vaccine caused their shedding but I am skeptical unless you had a reaction (I had both Pizer and booster w/no reaction). And then go get your blood work done including ferritin (all of the irons actually) vitamin D, thyroid specifically but run them all. Good luck everyone. Know that once TE starts it will only stop once you correct the trigger or it runs it course of 3-6 months. If stopping olaplex works for you GREAT! For me it’s the only way I can brush through what’s left as it dreads itself. Some ppl report a year for their TE to stop but average is 3-6 months. It can become chronic TE vs acute TE so again why it’s important to get bloodwork done to rule out any body issues. There’s also some great FB groups for TE! Hope that helps. 

@soflosquidvi 

Thanks for writing this all out.  Even if OP's hair loss is product-induced, now this reply is available to anyone who searches the topic.  I wanted to add a note from my own experience, which is that TE can also be a medication side effect.  It's a listed possible side effect for lots of drugs, but I don't think cis females necessarily pay attention to that, as we tend to consider hair loss a male problem until it happens to us.  After going on a prescription blood thinner, I experienced some severe hair loss--hairballs every time I brushed, clogged drains with every shower even though I brushed beforehand, and once I even had a clump come out of my scalp as I squeezed the water out of my hair post-shower.  At that point I understood something was VERY wrong and was able to trace it to the medication.  Luckily, my doctor switched me to a different prescription that did not cause loss.

I'm still struggling from random periods of TE due to the hormonal fluctuations of perimenopause.  Unfortunately, because I have had blood clots, I can't take estrogen to even things out.

I absolutely agree that many things should be taken into account when tracing the source of hair loss, and I believe that concern for one's health should always take priority.  People who are skittish about going to the doctor might get over it if they'd realize how important those blood tests are to their hair and skin!  

As for products notorious for causing hair loss, the WEN system by Chaz Dean is a famous example, and I have heard much buzz about both Olaplex and Living Proof.  But thank you for reminding people that even if you can trace hair loss to a product, it doesn't mean that other factors aren't at play.  Just because Olaplex is causing hair loss in some people doesn't mean that they are perfectly healthy, and good preventative healthcare and regular blood tests are always a good idea and should ideally be available to everyone.  

Ultimately, understanding the complexity of health issues benefits everyone and I don't understand the angry responses to your effort to share information you have learned.  After all, the more we know, the more healthy hair we grow!

So for everyone losing hair from the root, does Olaplex somehow send you into Telogen Effluvium? I am still trying to figure out if my hair loss is from Olaplex or COVID, as I have been exposed to both. I have probably lost 70% of my hair, the hairs I lost felt very thin, almost invisible, and has a small root bulb attached. I posted on my local Facebook "Word of Mouth" page and have had responses from 100+ women losing hair after COVID - and I live in a REALLY small town. Confused. 😞

I have managed to stop 95% of the shedding by using Hair Envy oil (massage a few drops into scalp before bed, wash in the morning), and using Purador Advanced Therapy Shampoo. Also taking Nutrafol and Biotin gummies., and using my laser cap every other day. I have a ton of baby hairs coming in, so there is hope. I just wish there was an answer!

Also, had dinner with a family member who is an MD - said post-COVID Thyroiditis is common and cause hair loss like this. Said they don't usually treat it as it will resolve itself in a month or two.

Sounds like you’re on the right track. Covid is SOOOOO common as a trigger for TE. There’s an entire FB group about it actually with FAB info. Also keep in mind all shedded hairs will have a bulb. I recently learned this. So hairs that naturally shed will have the bulb, that’s just the life-stage of hair as another pushes in behind it. Since you’re slowing then I’d say your close to the end of your hair loss situation but it can have flux. I’ve been shedding less every few days (wash days) but today was more than the last few again. It IS VERY FRUSTRATING, demoralizing and stressful AF. Nutrafoil is very popular and seems to be helpful to many ppl in my FB groups. Hang in there!!! 

"we" all didn't experience major stress last year from the pandemic.  That is a manipulative statement to put us in a collective boat. I would never assume someone else's circumstances.  

If you don’t think the whole world shutting down because of a global pandemic didn’t cause some level for stress for everyone… well I don’t know what to tell you. 

But you have no problem accusing someone of being manipulative for pointing out that the "pan-" in pandemic literally means "all?"  That's a very rude response to someone employing empathy while sharing the results of their research in response to someone else's crisis.

If you've never experienced hair loss before (i.e. me) and one day, you decide to give Olaplex a try, only to find out that immediately after washing it out of your hair comes HANDFULS of hair, then it's probably not "Telogen Effluvium" or covid. To say that it's anything other than Olaplex in that situation is a HUGE stretch. This post sounds like it's written by an Olaplex PR rep. lol

Are you saying I am a olaplex rep? Lmfao. I can guarantee you I am not. This is one wash from my TE from stress and weight loss as mentioned before. It’s gotten a little better thankfully but not close to stopping yet. When this started up in Sept I read literally EVERYTHING, went to a derm, endocrinologist and my primary. I’m a bit of a science nerd so I threw myself into understanding this to ease my anxiety that I already struggle with. I also Had every bit of bloodwork done and I joined groups to learn more about this situation. I only started using olaplex when my TE because my hair was so dry and angry. It HAS helped me personally but I am in no way advocating for or against it because everyone is completely different. TBH I am stopping the shampoo. It’s drying me out too much. The #6 however is really helping my hair not dread up and keeping it under control. The fact that we know Covid causes this also and with so many positive cases and the high numbers of TE doctors are a experiencing is a correlation including asymptomatic Covid which unfortunately for me I was too far into TE to test for antibodies. I still don’t know for certain if maybe mine was triggered by asymptomatic Covid or not but my final diag was high stress and weight loss that made the perfect storm. 

EC378DB2-73B5-40CB-A021-DE5FD35CDEEE.jpeg

Wrong. Go back and read the comments and look at the pictures again. What most people

are experiencing is extreme hair loss and damage from the hair becoming compromised and snapping off, not hair loss at the scalp (although a small portion have experienced hair loss at the scalp, as well).

TE is just a fancy word for hair loss. My TE is caused by Olaplex. 🤪😭😭

Already checked that out.  Nope.  Directly related to Olaplex.  My first breakage happened within hours of using it.

I am wondering if olaplex changed the ph balance of the scalp. ? 

Same. The truth will come out. It will reach a tipping point with consumers and they will have to pull the products and/or change the formula.  I would like to save anyone the trama of this experience.  

There is a same thread on a german site (hot-port.de). Are women imagine all around the world? 😂 I followed a few complaining threads on olaplex facebook page, but they disappeared. (By the way, where is stylistkelly's post? 🙃) They can change their formula,but i'm also shivering from the word "olaplex". Never again!!! 

Not for millions of dollars!! The trauma 💔 

I dug in a bit deeper on getting rid of the protein ASAP.  I've been using sulfate shampoo like Pantene and it HAS been working but the junk from Olaplex takes awhile to get rid of.  I've also learned not to believe all of the anti-sulfate nonsense.  Right now that is what our hair needs.  I wish I would have known that months ago.

I have heard that ACV rinse (a few tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar and the rest pure water in water bottle) and leave it in your hair for just a few minutes.  The apple cider vinegar will break down the Olaplex and then put in Moroccan Oil overnight.  Also, do not use Coconut Oil  Apparently, it'll make it worse.  The trick is to break down the Olaplex/protein overload and then condition.  The other option is pineapple juice with yogurt?  I'm really ready to try anything.  Even Mayonaise or pure butter overnight after some fruit rinse to break down this garbage off my hair.  I'll end up smelling like a fruit salad but I hope to stop this porcupine look.

Have you tried this? I’m scared to put anything in my at this point but I might if it worked for someone.  I have used olaplex for 2 years and  I originally loved it but then the last few months I have had so much hair loss. I now have a bald spot on the back of my head! I don’t even know what to do so much falls out every day it’s defeating. I gave up olaplex but I have read that I could have protein overload. I have a clarifying shampoo now which maybe might be helping but I need to add some moisture back in and every shampoo/conditioner I try to use has protein in it. Does anyone have any good suggestions? I’m so sad and to top it off Sephora wouldn’t take my unopened olaplex back because it had been too long since purchase. I can’t believe I have spent so much money to just ruin my hair and my confidence and my mental health 

Also, had I known that ACV was the antidote I would have taken a bath in it for a month after the first shredding/breakage of hair due to Olaplex.  Even the crazy broken pieces of hair are shinier and lay flat so I don't look super crazy.  I might do the ACV every other day until all of the chemicals are gone.  I have to say though that the toxic chemicals of Olaplex are pretty potent given all you have to do to remove it so points for perseverence go to Olaplex.  If it's shredding your hair, like it did to mine, douse your hair in ACV + water, clarify shampoo IMMEDIATELY, and stick a protein free moisturizing mask in your hair overnight.  Had I done that, the last 5 months and six inches of hair would have looked dramatically different.  😞

testing