Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

Olaplex 3 and hair loss?

Has anyone experience excessive shedding of hair after Olaplex 3 treatment??

I thought it was a coincidence the 1st time, but it happened after the 2nd and 3rd tx.

I used it weekly x 3, and the hair loss after the 3rd treatment is noticeable.

I will not use it again (and only used about 2/3 of 1 bottle).

No hair scalp itch or redness, to suggest an allergic reaction. 

Re: Olaplex 3 and hair loss?

I tried it on Tuesday night for 10 minutes because I am now scared to death about my hair.  I noticed a HUGE improvement.  Then I left it in for 30 minutes last night and 10 minutes this morning, pre-shampoo.  Good gracious, my hair hasn't looked this good in months.  The ACV removes the chemicals that Olaplex left on the hair. It'll take awhile, but I may do this rinse at least 3 times a week.  I didn't even have to put in any extra hair oil.  My hair is shiny and bouncy yet it's not like its former glory.  It'll take a while but this is a 70% improvement.  

Did you mix the ACV with water? Did you apply it to the entire hair or just the scalp? You do it pre shampoo or post shampoo? Online it says it kid 2part water with 1 part ACV and then do it after shampooing? I am just not sure that is what works best in this situation 

If acv helps, I believe that olaplex changes the ph of the scalp. Acv did help me mildly. I actually am terrified of doing too much of anything. I had a huge huge chunk come out the day before yesterday.  I am an estetician and know how important ph is for skin/hair. Our body's ph is also critical to stay healthy. 

I left the ACV in for an hour today and even more improvement! Olaplex ruined the ph for sure. Thats exactly why the breakage. Also get rid of all protein based or bonding shampoo and conditioner.  I can actually run my fingers through my hair!  I'm going to do it a few days a week to really reverse Olaplex. 

Omg thank you! Trying this tonight!! 

I used apple cider vinegar scrub and then drenched head in jojoba oil. I feel like I will not end up bald which is how I felt for 3 weeks. It definitely changed the trajectory. Reddit has threads about olaplex. Whattoexpect,  the mom site,  has a thread about our situation too. I bought nutrafol oil growth activator. It arrived today. 

I have lost over 50% of my hair over the past month. I had COVID in September, but I am also a long-term Olaplex 3,4,5,6 user and had a professional (1,2) Olaplex treatment in October with my color. I never had an issue with the Olaplex, and believe it was the only reason I was able to grow out my fine, flyaway hair - however, now I question if my hair loss is due to COVID or Olaplex? How do you tell? It feels so thin and wispy now I am tempted to break out my 4,5 and 6 at least and try to regrow, but I am also afraid I will lose what little I have left. Pic 1 is Sept 2021, recovering from COVID. Pic 2 Oct 2021 after Olaplex 1 and 2 and color. Pic 3 is Dec 2021. So upset, looking for any insight!

covidhair.1.jpgcovidhair.2.jpgcovidhair.3.jpg

@BellaBaron 

Are you losing hair in places other than your head?  The easiest place to tell is usually your eyelashes.  Do they seem less thick than usual?  Are you finding more loose eyelashes than you normally would?  If so, your hair loss is global and not caused by Olaplex.  But honestly, if COVID damaged your hair, it may not like Olaplex as much as it used to.  I'm so sorry about your thick gorgeous hair!

@BellaBaron  I'm so glad you are getting good regrowth!!

My eyelashes seem normal, and my brows are growing in nice and thick - presumably from all the hair vitamins I'm taking. The top of my scalp is filling in nicely, can't see bare patches anymore, so I'm confident my hair is growing back. I just wish I knew if it was Olaplex or COVID because Olaplex was the reason I was able to grow my hair to begin with, but not taking a chance right now even though I am so tempted!

It’s Covid. Telogen Effluvium. Very common post Covid. Must run its course 3-6 months. 

I would definitely hope for covid hair loss. It will grow back. Whatever chemical reaction happens with Olaplex can cause permanent hair loss. It falls out with root attached. Keep us posted. 

Omg your hair is absolutely gorgeous! I’m so sorry you’re also dealing with this. Just based off of personal experience, I would advise you to use something other than Olaplex to try and make your hair regrow and healthy again! Obviously I have no certain answers but your hair issues look/sound similar to mine and many others who have suffered hair loss from Olaplex!! 

Thank you - this has been devastating! I go between this thread and the COVID hairloss threads, and I'm not entirely sure which I am experiencing since I have had/used both. When I got my color done in pic 2 the stylist used Olaplex 1 and 2 - two weeks later my hiar started falling out, and still is. So though I'm tempted I'm not going to take the chance on losing what little I have left. This just sucks!

Screenshot_20211118-112535_Messages.jpg

Screenshot_20211118-112522_Messages.jpg

Olaplex stripped my hair of color. It looks like your color is stripped or does it always wash out? I'll post pics of mine. 

A viral reaction will cause hair loss. It will not completely change the texture of the hair. It will not cause the hair to become like straw and break. What is happ6woth yours? I lost half of my hair in a 3 week period after buying the entire line of Olaplex from Sephora.  

I had COVID in Sept, had hair cut and colored in Oct along with Olaplex 1 and 2 treatment, in Nov hair started falling out by the handfull! My color usually fades fast, but I have also been using all kinds of hair loss shampoos and treatments to try to save what little I have left - doubt they are color safe.

BTW your pre Olaplex hair is GORGEOUS. I was just admiring it!  It is STUNNING!

I only kept my olaplex in case this goes to Class Action Suit.  I do not use any of it.

4 Replies
testing