Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

Olaplex 3 and hair loss?

Has anyone experience excessive shedding of hair after Olaplex 3 treatment??

I thought it was a coincidence the 1st time, but it happened after the 2nd and 3rd tx.

I used it weekly x 3, and the hair loss after the 3rd treatment is noticeable.

I will not use it again (and only used about 2/3 of 1 bottle).

No hair scalp itch or redness, to suggest an allergic reaction. 

Re: Olaplex 3 and hair loss?

I would recommend filing a complaint with the FDA with your experience and make sure to share the pictures you took. I was in so much shock and insecure during my worst days of hair fallout that I never snapped any pictures which I regret. 

Cutting out all Olaplex and protein rich products in favor of moisture, moisture and more moisture has been helping my hair recover somewhat over the last 5 months. But it’s going to take years probably to get it back to where it was : (

I hope your hair returns to good health soon!

I have been a hair professional for 46 years, behind the Chair, a instructor, educator for some major companies, a color educator now and a product developer, I have used Olaplex since it was released, about 98% of my business is color and Olaplex is used in every single one and every guest uses the Olaplex line at home for maintenance, I have a guest book of hundreds and never not once has a guest experience hair loss.. Olaplex is a wonderful company and the products are the best I have ever used I would suggest going to the website and speaking with one of the wonderful educators and they can absolutely help you.. but I can assure you I know every Ingredient in this line and nothing can cause this problem, if it did I  would not be booking guest a year in advance and have a waiting list..

Ok, so because hundreds of your clients are okay, that automatically mean the hundreds of people here are liars or don't know their hair ? do you know EVERY users or past users of olaplex ? don't you think that your experiences and your clients experiences where they only had ONE time olaplex on their head with you is a lot different that us that have use it more that once ? or don't you think that some of your clients could have experienced hair loss after you'd use it on them but said nothing to you because of fear, anxiety or shame ? or because maybe they didn't thought it was a product use by a professional that could harm them and thought it was something they did themselves and so never came to talk to you about it ? did you took the time to even read some of the answers here ? seriously, why did you even came here ? it's a forum for people losing their hair because of olaplex and being traumatised by it. If you are not a victim of it or wanting to help victims, then why come here to say to victims that they don't know what they're talking about ? you and other olaplex advocates should continue to make dirty money selling olaplex elsewhere and leave us alone

I’m sorry but you’re so wrong to say this, especially if you read any of our stories and the absolute trauma we have gone through. I had very thick, beautiful, I’m mean BEAUTIFUL long healthy hair. I didn’t change anything other than the fact that i used Olaplex 0 & 3 once for the first time. Immediately after washing it out, chunks and chunks of hair fell out. I’m going on a month and it’s still falling out and my hair is completely damaged for the first time ever. So how are you going to tell me it’s not Olaplex? Sounds like they paid you to post this.

I don’t think it’s fair or accurate for you to say that nothing in the Olaplex line can cause damage to hair. If protein and bonding products are used on protein sensitive hair they can 100% cause breakage and damage. Many consumers are not aware of this and should be warned on the packaging. Or… these products should only be used by professionals like you who know how to use them properly. 

I'm not an old member here, but I signed in because I found this forum regarding the olaplex hair loss and wanted to share my issue with Olaplex No 3! I used Olaplex years ago over periods of times no 3 and the shampoo+conditioner and loved it, never had an issue. This time before buying I saw some of the reviews citing hair loss but I used it successful before so I assumed I should be fine - which is NOT the case! I used it twice, once a week each time and have major hair loss since! It literally started in the shower the first time using it and I was just thinking no way and thought maybe I'm just paranoid about it now, but then during that week doing my hair I thought I became less and a week later I was like - wow it is really happening and it is the olaplex - so I obviously directly stopped since then.

It's been 2 weeks since and it's still going on. I'm so afraid I'm losing all my hair! I stopped brushing or even touching my hair unless I have to go somewhere which is not a lot anyway except work here and there! I also started counting hairs today because the internet and people said its normal to lose 100hairs a day... but for my mental health I stopped counting at 170+ hairs just today and in opposite to before it is WAY more than I normally loose! Like I can pull strand out of my hair without pulling, with no pressure, my hair is not broken either - it just comes out at the root!!! So scary! And I didn't even rub the Olaplex into my roots 😧

I tried joining the Facebook group but no one accepted my request there yet, please if anyone here is on there take me in, I'm also up for a lawsuit. I'm modeling professionally and cannot lose my hair and with that literally my whole livelihood because of two 1 hour treatments without official warning that this can even happen during a 'repair treatment' - it's crazy! And I'm so disappointed. 

I wish people would keep this forum updated when their hair loss stopped or if it just keeps going on?? I'm honestly shocked, I never had hair loss in my life. I am not allergic to any products or foods, or anything for that matter! I never even had a rash ever. So I'd def recommend DO NOT BUY - it's not worth it if you're one of the unlucky ones and lose your hair for who knows how long!

Also I kept reading the older posts in this forum and there are people saying this is a conspiracy of sorts (?) it is absolutely not, people just came here like me googling what it could be and trying to find help and just need this to stop!

Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 5.00.30 PM.png

I lost half of my hair over the course of 3 weeks. I have gone to the dermatologist and had bloodwork done. The only thing I changed was I switched to all Olaplex products. I had beautiful strong shiny waist length hair. It is now shoulder length and feels like straw. I have to wear a wig because I have chunks missing on the top. We need to contact the FDA. I have pictures of what is happening. We need to sue. 

OMG reading your story made me think I was typing it because this is EXACTLY how everything went for me. I’m just now back to brushing my hair. So I am going on 4 1/2 weeks and the hair loss has finally started to slow down. It’s still more than average but not as bad. So I’m finally feeling like there is hope!!! 

Just a recommendation, I started making some natural masks because Olaplex made me scared to use any chemical mask no matter the reputation! Highly recommend coconut oil, castor oil, and Greek yogurt. After using the mask I noticed my super damaged hair at least started to feel softer again. 

Also, looks like some other people wrote a complaint to the FDA, so I’m going to at least do that. I just wish we could get more people aware of the situation before they have to experience this trauma! 

Thank you for replying! Yes I'm probably going to try those oils - I've used them before. I'm just afraid to make my hair and scalp more upset right now. I started using my boyfriends shampoo out of sheer despair today which is a therapeutic one. But I'll definitely keep updating this forum if it does help, if I find something else, my timeline and when/if it hopefully stops. But you gave me some hope! I hope we can rid this soon! Thank you! 💗

Can you give an update on your hair? A chemical reaction can cause permanent hair loss. 

I’ve been using the shampoo and conditioner ever since getting a balayage in june 2020. I will alternate sometimes with prose, or davines. In the last year  or so I felt like I was getting significantly more hair fallout. Every time I touch it, I can get at least 20 stands falling out. I have piles of hair around my work from home desk and just kept thinking well, maybe it’s new medications. And it could very well be part of it, bc i have a lot meds that have changed in the last 6 months. But now I feel like it’s the olaplex since i use it so consistently. I also tried the no. 3 within the past 6 months thinking i wasn’t doing enough and it was dried out. Sike i guess. I used to have super thick hair and now I really notice how thin my ponytail is. I had also started using only silk scrunchies, barely using heat, only using a tangle teezer brush, basically trying anything to stop the fallout. Now im freaking out thinking the olaplex was working against me the whole time. Does anyone know of a replacement for olaplex for blonde hair? 

It INFURIATES me that a product like this is on the shelves when so many women are experiencing hair damage and loss from Olaplex!!!

How are Sephora and other retailers not pulling this off of the shelves immediately?!? And how do we as a group get them to?!?

Back in July I started using the Olaplex system at the advice of my cousin who is a new hairstylist. I don’t blame her, Olaplex is hyped up by so many stylists.

After a couple weeks of use my hair started to fall out uncontrollably. There was a solid 5 day period where there was nothing I could do. Every time I touched it it broke off or fell out. The fine hairs around my face literally disintegrated between my finger tips when I touched them after the shower one morning.

I was extremely distraught, depressed, insecure and panicked. My poor husband had to watch me cry night after night.

I spent THOUSANDS of dollar on in salon treatments, services, high end hair care products, new styling tools, etc… to find ANYTHING that would stop the bleeding but it was too late!

I’m going on 5 months of dealing with this and I’m becoming fearful my hair will never recover. I’m doing everything I can but it is still scraggly and broken beyond repair. The hair just continues to split up the shaft. Impacting even the regrowth.

We have fo find away to prevent other women from experiencing the same trauma we did.

Any ideas?!

Any updates on your hair? A chemical reaction can cause permanent hair loss 

Im experiencing the same thing. 

I pray to God this isn’t permanent but it’s only been about 5 months so I’m still assessing the damage. I feel like I’ve been able to stop the bleeding a bit with a couple things: super moisturizing shampoo (without protein!!!) and moisturizing masks 2 times a week, hair oil and heat protectant before styling, plus regular trims. You even need to trim the short broken pieces to make sure they don’t continue breaking up the shaft. As far as specific products go: everyone’s hair is different but Shu Uemuras Urban Moisture products and hair oil has worked wonders plus Bumble and Bumble’s priming spray. Hope this helps! Would love to hear what others are doing to get their healthy hair back. 

Has anyone contacted the FDA. Once they have enough complaints, they open a case. It only takes a handful of complaints.  If there is an FDA investigation, an attorney can get involved for class action. 

Sigh. 

I wish I saw this thread earlier. I have been using the olaplaex ENTIRE line faithfully for the past several months in a desperate attempt to save my hair with continued shedding.  My hair is now nearly nonexistent. I don't have bald patches but I have lost so much hair that I feel VERY insecure and really I cant do anything with it style wise.  Looks ridiculous in a pony tail even because there is no bulk. Im throwing everything in the trash. 

😞

Any update on your hair?  I'm wondering if if grows back or chemical reaction caused permanent hair loss??

I just wanted to add that I think you can definitely over-bond your hair, so to speak. 

The first time I did it, last year, was with the Punky Color Intrabond mask.  The first time I used it, it made my hair feel wonderful. So I used it again the next wash and noticed that some blonde highlighted pieces broke off.

Just this month, I forgot that my hairdresser used Olexplex 1 on me after my highlighting treatment.  I used my Schwartzkopf Blondme bonding mask after my next wash without thinking, and again, for the second time, little blonde pieces broke off.

It's two weeks later and I just used Olaplex 0 with Olaplex 3 and everything went fine.

I think bonding products definitely need to be used in moderation. I love them, so it's hard not to use them too often. For me, every third wash  seems to be better.

I've always lost a lot of hair when I wash - it's curly, so I only wash twice a week, and I don't comb or brush it in between washes.  I've noticed that I lose less hair when I use the Kérastase Genesis Anti Hair-Fall Fortifying Conditioner I actually purchased the liter size.  It's expensive, but Olaplex is expensive, too. The Kerastase also seems to soothe some psoriasis on my scalp for a day or two.

I hope this helps!

Okay we’re going on week 3 and I’m still losing excessive amounts of hair.

Just curious, when did the excessive shedding stop for any of you and what have you tried to make it stop??? I’m now taking biotin supplements and using shampoo for super super dry, damaged hair. 

This chat is like my support group… I feel like people need to be warned about the truths of Olaplex considering it’s so popular. 

I thank God I found this group.  My hair looks like a 4 year old got a hold of a machete and attacked my hair.  It's DEFINITELY the Olaplex.  Ruined the texture of my fine hair and left it like a cross between a Twizzler and straw.  Really weird.  Months later the breaking is finally stopping but I'm gonna look like a mad woman for awhile so I just throw it up in a bun.  Had to cut off 6 inches. That's FUN.  If anyone wants to group together for a Class Action Lawsuit, I think we've got enough amunition.

Have you contacted the FDA? 

2 Replies
testing