Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

Olaplex 3 and hair loss?

Has anyone experience excessive shedding of hair after Olaplex 3 treatment??

I thought it was a coincidence the 1st time, but it happened after the 2nd and 3rd tx.

I used it weekly x 3, and the hair loss after the 3rd treatment is noticeable.

I will not use it again (and only used about 2/3 of 1 bottle).

No hair scalp itch or redness, to suggest an allergic reaction. 

Re: Olaplex 3 and hair loss?

I personally did not like the Olaplex product line.  I tried all the numbers, spent a lot of money on it and did not notice any change in my hair. I used this product last year so I don't remember how much hair loss I had with it but all I do remember is it did nothing for my hair.  I like the oil because I use oils a lot for my dry hair but only because it's an oil, not because it worked.  I would not recommend Olaplex.

10/28: Here's how much hair I lost within 30 minutes of washing out Olaplex No. 3 after leaving it on for 90 minutes. The youtube video on how to apply this product on their channel says leaving it on longer won't harm your hair. I've never lost this much hair before in my life. I was reading through this thread in tears and collecting all the strands slipping effortlessly off my scalp until I had a creepy collection like Joe Goldberg would, hoping it wouldn't continue for weeks the way it had for others. I also felt a tingling sensation in one particular spot near the crown. Olaplex's response, if you contact them for an explanation, is that you might have allergies. This is super disingenuous because they'll only recommend you take an allergy test AFTER you report side effects, implying that they know this product isn't necessarily safe for everyone's scalps. Yet all other messaging they spread is that it's impossible for this product to harm your hair. I used this product on their word that it can't possibly damage hair which I assumed meant it also wouldn't make it fall out. Have they considered that the hair is attached to the scalp and it doesn't do much good if all that soft, "unharmed" hair is chilling on the f***king floor?

When I messaged them, there wasn't a hint of accountability, just some BS about mineral buildup. In fact, they even recommended that I buy another one of their products to fix whatever damage this one had caused. Absolutely jaw-droppingly horrible customer service.

From them: Here is a link to our MSDS sheets that you can take to your medical professional

hair.jpg

Update (10/30): I'm happy to say my hair didn't continue falling out the next day, it's pretty much back to normal rates of shedding. But there's a spot on my scalp that was tingling for an hour after washing out Olaplex 3, and today it's even more tender to the touch. Going to ask someone to double check I didn't get some chemical burn.

That’s odd. I get the same thing and have using this treatment for a while. I actually just cut my hair about five inches off because it was so bad. Does anyone know if Sephora takes this back months later without a receipt- scared to use it now!

I have been using olaplex for about 3 months 3, 4, and 8 . I have noticed far more shedding than usual, but yesterday terrified me. I am 51 and had blood work recently (normal results)… I decided to look up Olaplex to see if anyone else has experienced this hair loss scare (luckily found this forum)! They claim to be safe, but I lost two large clumps yesterday that sent a shock wave of fear . A class action lawsuit is something to think about. These products are expensive and appear to be dangerous. 

CD262FA4-1DA2-4311-A24D-5C38C029FDF0.jpeg

What should we use in place of it for the same soft effect?

I believe Amika has a bond repair.

Oh no!!!! I am happy I stumbled upon this thread. My hairstylist put it in after doing mermaid colors. I loved how my hair felt. She said to get the entire line, but it was too expensive for me. I am sure glad I saw this!!!

YES! Seriously people don’t use this stuff. I used the Olaplex 3 followed by the 0 last night. I started noticing the hair loss immediately after while I was washing it out. So far I have lost about 25% of my hair and strands still keep coming out. HELP!! Does anyone have any natural oils or solutions to help stop me from losing more?!? 

159DB599-96ED-4016-921E-0B5715A1D938.jpeg

5D9C81D5-E245-45ED-A856-769239AF4D77.jpeg

31769A2D-2417-4D5D-8902-A1CC8954D26E.png

1AF84D4F-737B-4EE5-9759-7853854C49E4.png

Hi, I used Olaplex number 3 a few months ago and lost about 50% of my hair. It was falling out in chunks every day, I was devastated. I tried many different shampoos to try to stop the hair loss until I finally recently found one that worked and I have not been losing any hair, my hair is getting thicker again. I used tresseme deep clean once and it worked! I am now using biolage and can say that I have not experienced any more hair loss since. I am attaching pics of both. 

Hey! Did your hair loss stop after using these products you posted or has gotten less? How long did you use olaplex for? I'm facing the same issue after using it only twice. 💔 I hope you're back to normal now!

Is the number 3 treatment the only product from Olapex causing hair loss or the whole collection? (Asking because I recently started using it)

all of it. It destroyed my hair. 

I too experienced major shedding after trying the Olaplex 0 and 3 combination (Intensive Repair Kit). I didn't think it was these products given that it could be stress, hormones, blood work and iron levels, etc. However my blood work was perfect and given the timing of the one-time use of this product and dramatic hair loss that followed the next few weeks - probably thinning my hair by 50%, I believe Olaplex must have been a factor. I did not want to risk it and tossed the rest of the product. I did start taking Ducray Anacaps immediately to see if that would help as I thought it could not hurt. My hair loss returned to normal levels after about 4 weeks and my hair has started to regrow slowly. But given the extensive loss it will be 12-18 months before my hair looks normal again. I'm in my early 50s as background. 

Hi! You are one of the first posts that I've read where you've expressed some positive news about the stopping of the shedding. Can I ask, are you taking the Ducray Anacaps supplement? Or are you taking both the supplement and using the topical products as well?

With the supplement and of the products, if it is something that we would stop, would we have a new phase of shedding? (my derm explained this would be the case with using something like Rogaine but I didn't have a chance to ask her about this ducray anacaps. I basically want to order the supplement right away after reading your post! It has vee and about 4 weeks since I last used any olaplex product so I would love to get this shedding under control as soon as possible! Thank you for sharing! 

Hello! I am using Ducray Anacaps for 3 months now and plan to keep taking them. I tried the Anaphase shampoo and conditioner too but it just dried out my hair so I went back to Aveda. I realize the issue with Rogaine so have not wanted to try it due to issue of shedding if you stop. Instead and based on feedback from another doctor I had I am using Hairmax 12 Lasercomb (3x per week) in addition to Ducray supplements. If you also want a great online resource for hair health check out Dr. Donovan Medical - tons of free articles.

I’ve had olaplex number 3 since April. Over the summer I probably used it once every two weeks. Lately I’ve been using it once a week. I’ve always had thick hair, and in the last month I’ve noticed it is getting really thin. After reading through these comments, I think olaplex is the culprit. I’m planning to stay away from all heated tools (hair dryer, curling wand, flat iron) for the next few weeks and see if that helps, but if any one has discovered a remedy, please let me know!! I miss my hair

It has been 3 weeks since I have stopped using Olaplex. My hair seems to be shedding worse than before and I don’t know how much more my mental health can take. I went to the dermatologist and he said it could be from the Olaplex but it could also be Telogen Effluvium. My hair pull test was negative though, so I don’t think it is that. It would be awesome if some of the ladies from previous posts would update us on their hair (hopefully good news!). I think we could all use a small amount of hope!

After I only used it a couple of times a while back I took drastic measures. I stopped using shampoo and conditioner all around. For about a year I stopped. My hair feels better and doesn't shed as much but its not super thick like before I had kids. Olaplex definitely made it worse so thats why I took drastic measures. My hair doesn't get staticky anymore. And frizziness is gone! But I think after a year If I do use shampoo again it will be CLn brand and ONLY on my scalp. Maybe once a week. My hair has gotten healthier and stronger since stopping the olaplex so long ago. Regardless it should get better. Focus on the scalp! Thats the important part! Massaging scalp very well and sometimes hard helps rejuvenate the roots. 

Also even when we lose hair, it will grow back with good scalp care. 

So I spoke to a dermatologist and they said I have scalp contact dermatitis… I got prescriptions but have not obtained or used them yet. Will keep you all updated. Praying for all of us.

CLn is a antibacterial shampoo and I think it could help. I think it's worth a try. The smell isn't great but it isn't horrible. Lol

testing