Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

Olaplex 3 and hair loss?

Has anyone experience excessive shedding of hair after Olaplex 3 treatment??

I thought it was a coincidence the 1st time, but it happened after the 2nd and 3rd tx.

I used it weekly x 3, and the hair loss after the 3rd treatment is noticeable.

I will not use it again (and only used about 2/3 of 1 bottle).

No hair scalp itch or redness, to suggest an allergic reaction. 

Re: Olaplex 3 and hair loss?

OMG, I was thinking about trying out this product

YES!  Just this last month.  Tried 3 times, once a week for time directed on bottle. It sucked the LIFE out of my hair and left it dry & brittle and falling out, not in clumps like others but a hella lotta strands, my hair never did this!  I didn't realize until I started looking up if this product could be the issue my hair all of a sudden became SO DAMAGED and saw others had experienced the same thing! Low and behold there are tons of others!  WTF?  Why is this product still for sale without HUGE warnings?!!! If anyone files a class action law suit PLEASE reach out to me, I have never had a hair product and supposively a CONDITIONER do so much extreme damage.  It's like it sucks the soul of the cuticle of the hair itself.  Seriously, why is this happening to some women?  

So I’m having the same issues. Hair loss by the gobs, chunks. And the only different thing I’ve done is Olaplex. I went though this thread, in a panic, and made comments to some posts that later I realized went as far back as 2020 and 2019.  So sorry about THAT. LOL.

I literally went to bed last night crying about the bald spots. Tossed and turned; I woke up at 4:30am thinking: it’s the Olaplex like some “a-ha” revelation.  I googled and found this thread.  As I went through it first I was shocked and then panicked. Then I got angry an the amount of people thinking that it’s impossible for it be the Olaplex.  Anyone can have a reaction to any product at any time. We are all different.  To say that it’s IMPOSSIBLE for Olaplex to cause hair loss is narrow minded and actually quite insensitive to the people who are suffering with this issue.

I used Olaplex for the first time around late April/early May at the suggestion of a friend.  I used no. 3 and then washed with their shampoo and conditioner.  I noticed it was a little coarse but I thought it was probably the bonding/repair.  I had a busy May and June so I don’t think I used it again until July - and more regularly, as directed on the bottle (no overuse as some replies implied although shampoo and condition are say can use daily). And I have to say I started losing hair. A lot of it. 

I’m 55 and going through menopause so my hormones were off but I also was doing HRT. I know everyone will say - oh it’s THAT. But I will tell you that as I lost hair - I started using Olaplex more regularly (I sometimes alternated shampoos )  and the problem just got worse.  Also my hormones are clinically tested to be balanced for awhile now.  I actually bought No. 0 and No. 8 thinking - let me really use the whole line to help my hair especially after Friday - as I was blow drying it, a chunk BURNED RIGHT OFF.  Never has this ever happened to me.  So I thought 0 and 8 would help with the burned off tips. 

And then it dawned on me last night and morning as I couldn’t sleep - the more I use Olaplex line - the more hair I lose.  I have lost more than 1/2 my hair in a few months. And I’m panicked. 

I purchased Vegamour - a vegan product for hair loss.  I hope it helps.  I’ll also try a clarifying shampoo - to see if it helps to remove any Olaplex build up - but I’m panicked at all the comments and posts of people still having issues after months and months of stopping the products.

Any suggestions or comments are appreciated. I hope our hair grows back ! 

I did an Olaplex treatment (the professional one) and my hair began falling out on chunks that same week; similar to when I had chemo. It was traumatizing. I lost about 1/3-1/2 of my hair, but it fell out all over so I don’t have very noticeable bald spots. The hair loss lasted about 3 weeks. It will take years to grow back to the length I keep it. It’s definitely the Olaplex. My daughter was shocked when she saw me. I can’t believe the company doesn’t have a warning sign. What chemical could be causing this?  

My God that is terrible.  My Daughter gave me a bottle of shampoo and conditioner of the olaplex no. 5.  I have only used it once and didn't notice anything.  That is scary when a product that is supposed to strengthen and repair your hair causes it to fall out.  Wow

Yes  I am very upset. Like others I thought the first time I used olaplex and noticed my hair falling out in clumps is that it was something else. I suspected it was olaplex however I could not find anything on the internet. I tried it again and my hair started falling out for the second time so I decided to stop. Again doing research didn't find any information regarding olaplex in hair loss people swear by it. For the third time I've tried olaplex and now has lost so much hair that I have bald spots. My hair is brittle and I started to break at the root. I have no color in my hair. I am devastated. I know it is the olaplex I have very sick hair and a lot of it I should say I had very thick hair. My hair is ruined it is going to take years for me to restore my long locks. I know without a doubt there is going to be a class-action olaplex lawsuit. These are the planes that you hear when I product causes such severe damage in certain people. It is a bonding product. Probably should not be on the market to the average consumer the lay person who is not a hairdresser but because of greed if they made it available to people who do not have a hairdresser's license. Why bother going to get a license. I am beyond upset and have no doubt at my mind that olaplex caused me to lose my hair. I do not care what any hairdresser has to profess about olaplex I think at my age I know my body and what cause my hair loss. Of all things that olaplex could do why is it that everyone is now speaking about dry brittle hair and hair loss there is no coincidence here absolutely no coincidence. This is terrible. They also wanted to add the girls who was working at Sephora who is using all the plaques and liked it, I have to say her hair looked dead and dull I don't mean to be rude but I noticed there was a straw like dull look to it. I don't know what it's bonding but her hair certainly did not look healthy. 

About a month ago, my hair stylist used Olaplex while coloring and bleaching my hair. As soon as my haircut was finished, I touched my head and I felt like the density of my hair vanished. I asked if there was an abnormal amount of hair loss in the bowl, but she said “no”. I feel like I am going crazy because I know that at least 1/3 of my hair was gone after the treatment. I also have tons of broken hairs everywhere around my head. The strands of my hair are drastically thinner and more whispier. They don’t lay flat. I have been shedding excessively since the treatment. I lose about 250+ hairs on shampoo days. I went to see the derm and he said I have telogen effluvium. My blood labs all came back normal except for being low in Vitamin D and ferritin. (But I have had low ferritin before and I have never had an issue with hair.) I am scared from reading others’ posts that the shedding and hair loss continues even months after use. Please advise. I want to start a Facebook support group. If anyone has had regrowth following shedding, please let us know! 

I wish I found this forum months ago.  I have been having MASSIVE hairloss.  I never even dreamed it was due to olaplex, until I googled it this am.  I normally have very thick long hair.  I have lost about 75% of my hair.  Doesn't hold curl anymore either.  Just falls out by the handfuls everyday.  I am going to have to cut off about 4 to 5 inches.  Class action lawsuit is a must.  How do we start this?  I am 64 years and am concerned about it growing back in.  I have been purchasing from sephora and directly from olaplex website.

Yes! The derm told me I have contact dermatitis which I think leads to telogen effluvium. It makes sense because I bleached by hair right before using Olaplex No.3 and the hair which falls from the root only has about a millimeter of dark hair (natural color) and my current roots are about 2-3 inches out.  

If you created the facebook group, write the name of the group here, please! I want to join!

I started a Facebook group called “Olaplex Hair Loss.” Please join!

@crimes0fcouture Hey! Could you please add me to the Facebook group, I have been trying to join since 2+ weeks to find solutions and also for a lawsuit and nobody is accepting my request there. My name starts with J and last name with R. Thank you! 🙏

I have put in a request to the FB group also. RV

It's weird but I couldn't find your group anywhere on Facebook or Google ? 

I really want to join it 😔

Olaplex will cause hair loss if you use the product to much. using it once a week or even once biweekly is enough. when you use too much olaplex you are putting too much protein into the hair and it is not strong enough to hold it all so it just falls

There is no protein in Olaplex. 

Ummm, I used just 3 times EXACTLY as directed, and just once a week and it RUINED my hair, sucked the life right out of it! Dry, brittle and falling out.  I had very strong healthy hair and was just looking for something to help calm the excessive curl as of late.  What a mistake, there are tons of stories like mine.  

Backstory I bleached my naturally dark brown hair platinum blonde about a month and a half ago and started using Olaplex. I have been experiencing hair loss (massive clumps) from the roots, hair thining, and noticed an overall negative affect on my hair texture (hair looks weak). Every time I shower it feels like I’m losing at least 25% of my hair. I can see my scalp now… I stopped using Olaplex after realizing it was the culprit. I only used no. 3 for about 3 weeks (finished half the bottle) and used no. 0 once, and did Olaplex no. 1&2 stand alone treatment once. My scalp felt super itchy after applying Olaplex no. 0 and it gave me nasty burns on my face… I should’ve known better. I’ve stopped using for two weeks now and am still losing hair like crazy. I feel so helpless and am beyond stressed out. Will the shedding ever stop? Am I never going to get my old beautiful & volumptious hair back??? PLEASE HELP, I’M LOSING MY SANITY ALONGSIDE MY HAIR.

So I spoke to a dermatologist and they said I have scalp contact dermatitis… I got prescriptions but have not obtained or used them yet. Will keep you all updated. Praying for all of us.

I’m experiencing hair loss. I’m so curious if this is from Olaplex. I’m going to see a dermatologist to rule out anything else, hopefully, it will return.  But, I am curious how long it took for people who experienced hair loss from Olaplex, for your hair to grow back? 

I also have suffered hair loss from Olaplex. I started using No. 3 in April (my hair is pretty healthy - I started using it to try to minimize time between haircuts due to my ends) and have used it sporadically since. I started noticing more hair shedding while showering and styling my hair. I didn’t connect the pieces until last week when I used it and had 2 clumps of hair fall out. I have discontinued use but am still shedding. My hair feels so thin! I’m terrified this won’t stop and I will go bald. I contacted Olaplex but haven’t received a response. I also filed a complaint with the FDA. This whole situation is so disheartening. I’m thinking of all you ladies who are also dealing with this!

1 Reply
testing