Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

Olaplex 3 and hair loss?

Has anyone experience excessive shedding of hair after Olaplex 3 treatment??

I thought it was a coincidence the 1st time, but it happened after the 2nd and 3rd tx.

I used it weekly x 3, and the hair loss after the 3rd treatment is noticeable.

I will not use it again (and only used about 2/3 of 1 bottle).

No hair scalp itch or redness, to suggest an allergic reaction. 

Re: Olaplex 3 and hair loss?

Please spread the word. Join my new Facebook group called “Olaplex Hair Loss.” We need a community to deal with this tragic shock to our mental health. 

Well same story for me....

And I only found this thread because I am sure 100% that my hair problem was caused because of olaplex....

(First thing to say is I'm french so sorry if my English is not perfect)

I have been colouring my hair every color of the rainbow for 10 years without any damage. I only wash my hair once a week with only bio (without silicone ect ...) shampoo. My hair was so shiny, wavy and had so much volume because I had so much thick hair....

I wanted to use olaplex for years, because it was so recommend by colored people. In 10 years, not once did I use any product on my hair beside my shampoo and my color (good color brand like lunar tides) but I decided last may that olaplex could maybe give me even more volume and shine so I purchased it.

One of my biggest regret.

I purchased the olaplex 6 and only used it on my end when hair drying my wavy hair. It was enough to cause the damage you all experienced.

I lost so much hair and my hair became so thin and entangled when in all my life it never have been the case.

And because I'm naïve and couldn't link those problems with a product so loved by so many, I thought I had health problems and that olaplex could save me from it, so I used even more of olaplex...

I used it between may and the beginning of September. I have lost maybe 70% of my hair. Before using it, I couldn't even take all my hair in a circle between my index and thumb because I had so much hair, now I can easily do it with the little I have left and I feel like crying anytime I do it....

My hair was everywhere in my appartement, In my bed, so much in the shower, in the streets when I walked, in the public transport I took, at my job (and I work at a fast food, so I had to make sure my hair was  not falling in one of my client order...).

I couldn't (and I'm still afraid to do it) even have my hand in my hair or I knew I will have like 10 hair left in my fingers everytime (I'm not exaggerating, each time even if it was only second apart)

I stopped the olaplex 2 weeks ago, when searching for a link between the hair loss and the only new product I have used in 10 years and founding this thread and the Reddit one ect...

I swear to god the day after I stopped using it, my hair loss was so reduced, it's still falling a lot and still in bad condition, but the fact that it's not even comparable with when I was using olaplex is proof that it's causing the issue (and like I said, it's the only product I used that it's not my shampoo or color).

My hair is so thin and so entangled, and I have bald patch even in the front of my head, I feel so bad, I can't even put my hand in my hair because then I can feel how little hair I have left and it make me cry...

I don't know if my hair will ever go back to what it was. But I know that I will not have the same volume if I keep it long like it is. I just hope my hair is still growing and can be a little more better when I will cut it short in a few months.

The fact that all those issues are not written on the olaplex products is unbelievable. And the answers they give here ? -_-

I wish that I was not living in France, that way I could have maybe done something with the justice. 

Thanks for this thread and the others at least, your answers are helping when apparently olaplex don't want to...

Oh. My. God. I started using olaplex in May 2021. But not even exclusively. I’ve also had some health issues but I was thinking my hair loss was because of that. But today - or better said last night - I was literally losing sleep over the bald spots I have.  And I was tossing and turning and then I thought, what if it’s the Olaplex - it’s 5:14am and I grab my phone and I Google it and I found this thread.  I want to cry even more.  Friday - as I was blow drying my after using it, and a chunk of hair, midway, BURNT OFF.  I’ve never seen anything like it.  I even bought TWO more Olaplex products think it would make the burnt chunk look better.  All this hit me this morning - what if it’s the olaplex.  And I found all this.  I didn’t even use it exclusively - I’ve alternated a few times with other shampoos.  This weekend I bought Vegamour for hair loss. Has anyone been able to reverse this damage?? 

I have also experienced these issues. I’ve used olaplex for almost a year now after my high end hair dresser recommended it to me. I started with 3 and 6 and everything was good. I then went on to purchase the 4 and 5. Which are the shampoo and conditioners. I’m nearly done my bottles but have stopped all together because of how dry they make my hair. Not to mention I purchased the no 8 and it’s not my friend… HERE ARE MY SAVING GRACES. Luckily I alternate what products I wash my hair with weekly. Kevin Murphy’s hydrate and repair in shower conditioner is awesome. It causes a small amount of hair loss for me still (I’m talking maybe ten individual strands) and leaves my hair soft after washing it out. The other product is the Keratase leave in conditioner for blonds. It works like a dream. I still struggle with the permanent damage from olaplex but these help 

I have alternated too. But even on alternate days I’ve had a lot of shedding.  I’m so upset.  

I will admit my hair was extremely dry from over-processing of my blonde, wavy hair.  I decided to try Olaplex after a recommendation from my local beauty supply store.  I used #4 & #5 a few times but was disappointed in the results.  Then I decided to try Olaplex #3.  What a mistake that was!  My hair started to seriously break...non-stop.  Also, my scalp was bright red, first burning and then itching.  I went to my dermatologist about my scalp & thinning.  She prescribed 2 medications for my scalp to heal the inflammation.  It is 16 days later and I continue to break and lose hair.  I am in panic mode.  I'm afraid I will lose all my hair or it will be so destroyed that I'll have to have it cut all off.  This has never happened to me in my lifetime.  Has anyone heard of any class-action suit against this product?  I am devastated.

I too, would like to file a class action suit. I lost 1/3 of my hair and the strands are drastically thinner. I can’t sleep at night. This has ruined my mental health! 

I am devastes as well - and actually I was thinking about a class action lawsuit myself.  I have bald spots.  Thank God I occasionally alternated with other shampoos.  How do we reverse this !?! What if I never get my hair back ? 

Please join me in my new Facebook group called “Olaplex Hair Loss.” I am terrified that my hair won’t grow back as well, despite my derm saying that I have TE and my hair will eventually go back to what it was. 

I know it was the Olaplex #3.  It's the only thing that makes sense to me.  I'm going to a 2nd dermatologist tomorrow to have him look at my hair & scalp to see if anything can be done at this point.  I continue to use the 2 medications for my scalp.  I even bought a low-light laser cap for hair loss but had to return it as you cannot use them if you are on photosensitizing meds, which I am.  I'm going to acupuncture.  I've seen a doctor and an endocrinologist to see if this could be coming from something else like thyroid issues.  All my blood tests, probably 7 of them, all came back negative.  I have already purchased hundreds of dollars of special and expensive hair repair shampoos, conditioners, leave-ins, masks and serums, but once your strands are dried up & brittle, what could possibly help them?  Do I start with Minoxidil for hair loss now?  That seems unbelievable.  I did not have Covid, so it is not an after effect from the virus.  I am blaming this on my hair stylist who over-processed me to begin with and dried up my hair quite badly, BUT I still never had any breakage and fall out until the day after I used Olaplex #3.  I wish I knew my way around the legal aspect of this.  I watch this site regularly to see if anyone has any ideas.  So many people experiencing the same thing cannot be wrong.  This is absolutely heartbreaking.

I am experiencing a tremendous amount of hair loss from olaplex 0 and 3. I have lost a third of hair in 2 weeks. The texture has changed.  I am inconsolable.  Just devastated and don't know what to do. 

Yes! Have only used it 3 times (once per week ) and noticed a big glob of hair at my shower drain each time…so disappointing and needs to be addressed by the company !

I used Olaplex shampoo/conditioner and after a month or so my hair started to fall out (I used the oil once or twice only).   So much kept coming out that it constantly clogged the showers.  I finally realized it was the Olaplex.  I stopped using the shampoo and conditioner.  My hair stopped falling out but it was too late.  My hair was so thin.  It also made the texture so soft/different that it would flip on one side only and not lay right anymore.  My hair was greasy after one day of washing which it never did this before Olaplex.  My hair was stringy and looked unkept. My hair looked so bad that people noticed and even said things to me about how bad it looked (trying to help because they have never seen it look this way).  It never got better.  The only shampoo/conditioner that helped some (a tiny bit) was called "Acure" for volume.  After about a year of this...I ended up deciding to cut my hair.  Long story short...I get a horrible hair dresser who accidentally cut my hair off (was long... supposed to be a bob cut...she cut it to a super short pixie cut...I mean SHORT like 1-2 inches long).  But I do feel like my hair feels thicker now ironically.  I will get vitamins and see what happens as it will take about a year to grow out again.  Hopefully the damage from Olaplex will be gone by then.

Have you seen any improvement since you cut your hair?

Omgosh!! I literally just signed up and was poking around to figure out this feature and I saw groups to chat with. Now I don't know what opolex is but all your stories are horrific. I'm no expert but seeing as everyone is having the same problem but wondering if any of you have been prior users of this product ( like maybe there was a contaminated  ) and has anyone brought it to the manufacturers attention? Because this sounds scary and needs to be addressed. Possibly get some legal advice. I really hope all you ladies stop losing hair and that you all recover from this ... 🥺

94D29BBD-CF29-4C2B-AAF3-23C0C01E33F5.jpeg

F998DEDB-7F1E-40EE-B0AC-2F6E2314B87D.jpeg

Has anyone’s hair returned to what it was before the terrible experience with olaplaex? I am here every few months for the past YEAR to check what did you guys use than made your hair return to what it was before this mess… I don’t know what olaplex did to my hair that it’s so impossible for me to fix it… damaged? changed the texture? My hair doesn’t fall out as much as in the beginning but it still does… the most frustrating for now is how dry and crazy looking it constantly looks…

20211111_095847_001.jpg

I'm thinking that's maybe some kind buildup/oxidation process. And it didn't stop, it will get worse and worse. My new hair, my all hair is damaged.I don't know,how it happened or what exactly happened.I'm not chemist unfortunately.But surely olaplex was the catalyst!!!I didn't have such a problem before.It seems like a chemical reaction has been going on my hair, on my scalp ever since.I don't know how to stop or fix it, but i won't give up!It's a nightmare!

I am devastated.  I haven’t found anyone posting that this can be reversed. 

I am experiencing the same thing. The texture and everything about my hair has changed. I've lost a third of it but what us left is dry and porous. I'm devastated.  

Ugyanaz! Nem tudom, mit tehetek! Több mint két év szenvedés! A hajhullás azonnal elkezdődött az olaplex után először. Kevesebb lett, de még mindig veszítek. A hajam kemény, merev, ropogós, húros, ragadós, piszkos érzés, de annyira kiszáradt és vékony, mint a pókháló. Nem nyúlik .A gyökereim fájdalmasak. A keratinbulbjaim eltűntek. Ha bármilyen hidratáló, hidratáló terméket vagy csak egy normál sampont használok, az rosszabb lesz. Többféle tisztító, kelátképző sampont, kemény vízkezelést próbáltam, csak szárazabb lesz.

Nagyon depressziós vagyok! Vissza akarom kapni a normál hajamat! Nem ezt a sérült műanyag szalmát! Hair loss,damaged hair,pain,itching,self-doubt,malaise.Ruined my mental health along with my hair! 

Now,1 year after last olaplex.Now,1 year after last olaplex.Before olaplex.Before olaplex.

1 Reply
testing