Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

Olaplex 3 and hair loss?

Has anyone experience excessive shedding of hair after Olaplex 3 treatment??

I thought it was a coincidence the 1st time, but it happened after the 2nd and 3rd tx.

I used it weekly x 3, and the hair loss after the 3rd treatment is noticeable.

I will not use it again (and only used about 2/3 of 1 bottle).

No hair scalp itch or redness, to suggest an allergic reaction. 

Re: Olaplex 3 and hair loss?

The first Olaplex products I used were the 4&5 (shampoo and conditioner) then I decided to buy the famous number 3 hair perfector. My sister is a hairdresser and I told her to try the kit with 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 then the number 0 and 8 came out but I haven't tried them yet. The shampoo and conditioner felt amazing at first but towards the end of the bottles they weren't that special anymore, just average and the shampoo didn't seem to clean well my scalp anymore, my hair felt kinda heavy the second day, it was like my hair was used to them at that point. When I decided to buy number 3 I was sold because I noticed a significant difference in my hair BUT only if I used it every time I washed my hair as a night treatment. Last time I got my hair done from my sister she said my hair looked healthy, maybe because I got a trim, but I was thinking "Wow it must be the Olaplex n3!" and my sister never tells me my hair is healthy because I have a light blonde balayage, so you can imagine my hair is kinda damaged from the bleach. But the thing is I was watching my sister's hair, even some beautiful hair on the internet, girls who don't use Olaplex and their hair is gorgeous, some of them have Rapunzel hair but they don't use Olaplex. My sister doesn't have long hair but it's thick and healthy and she even has iron deficiency. What I mean is that yes my hair seems healthier but, as I said, only if I use it religiously and it looks healthy when it's freshly washed, the next days my hair can become a mess for example when I sweat or it's hot my hair tends to suffer from hydral fatigue and it becomes puffy and messy, even if I styled it and everything! So I was thinking okay my hair is softer, my sister said it was kinda healthy but other than that what does this treatment give to my hair? And it's expensive my goodness!! And after reading these comments I'm scared to buy another bottle because I don't wanna lose my hair! I just wanna say that yes it makes your hair appear healthy and soft but as soon as you stop using it, it comes back to its original state so what's the point? Does it really repair your hair if it comes back to what it was if you stop using it? I honestly got similar results from the Briogeo mask or from organic products available in my country, okay it's a bonding product but it's not a miracle as I thought, my hair is not thicker or whatever, it seems healthier when it's freshly washed and has less split ends and that's it. I was about to buy it again because my sister said my hair looked healthy but I was also using Unite Re:unite shampoo and conditioner and the Unite blonda argan oil so I don't know, maybe it was because of Unite too not just Olaplex!! I don't know what to do at this point but I want to follow this hair loss discussion because I don't wanna ruin my hair.

Hey i have been using Olaplex for 2 months n I haven’t notice more shedding then what i had before. It’s been pretty good on my hair. I just incorporate #0 and the #7 and are awesome can’t complain at least not now. 

I got a holiday set of Olaplex that I haven't used yet and now I'm worried. Do you think that the problem is caused by a certain ingredient?

I have no idea what these people are talking about. I'm always suspect when people claim Olaplex 'damaged' their hair. There are no ingredients in Olaplex that can possibly damage hair. You can leave it on as long as you want. I've used the Standalone system for three years and it took me from a Pixie cut with tons of breakage to bra strap and it's the healthiest it's ever been. Either people have an allergy to something or they're using it incorrectly. 

I'm always suspect when people very protect Olaplex. For example some hair loves protein, aloe vera, ricinus oil or silicone. But these cause problems for some hair. Peoples hair is different. And what about bis aminopropyl diglycol dimaleate or combination of Olaplex ingredients?What is it exactly?How works it on different hair types?Know you this?Oh yes, i know, Olaplex say it's a bond builder,  wonderful and safe for every hair. I believed it too, and now my hair is ruined. Olaplex is good for your hair, you are lucky. But many women suffer. We are looking for the real causes and the solution, not a spacegoat. And it is not allergy, hard water or incorrect using! The problem is the product. We know what we know.

I agree 1OO%, I am in my 5Os and have been doing my own hair for years, I've tried all kinds of things over the years. Oribe is my favorite line, but expensive...  I was just telling someone the only other time my hair got destroyed like this is when I did a coconut oil treatment, so you're right, there are different reactions to different protiens!   Clearly Olaplex isn't natures product, and what ever the hell it's made out of needs to come with severe warnings of possible damage!  There are too many of the same stories here. 

I agree. Bis-Aminopropyl Diglycol Dimaleate is the star ingredient in Olaplex. The ingredient on it's own can be extremely irritating to the skin which is why Olaplex has a concentration of less than 30%. That is only the main active ingredient, it has a bunch of other ingredients to it like added fragrance. Take a person that has a sensitivity to any of the other ingredients and there you go. Beloved by most that use it but the result will not be the same in everyone.

I know what all of u r going through! 5 years ago I fell victim to the infamous Wen and lost half my hair. 2 years ago I discovered the only product that was able to restore my hair and I used EVERYTHING! I highly recommend the Italian salon brand Davines. I use the nounou line that's for dry, damaged, or overprocessed hair plus the styling products. I have used Olaplex no. 3 and had success with that but I've only used in when my hair has gone through a bleach process and only once a month for 2 or 3 months after the bleach however everyone is different. I want to wish u all the best of luck in your hair recovery🖤🖤🖤

D07EFFDC-4266-4B95-8215-848666629A1C.jpeg

I found this forum because last night I used Oloplex No. 0 and n0. 3. It broke my hair off in giant clumps, just disintegrated my fine blonde hair. Everyone swore by if, but I literally lost half my hair last night! I am horrified!! It was just coming out in clumps. I lost HALF MY HAIR. This should not be allowed to be continued to be sold!! 

I need to use coconut oil ASAP! This is horrible! I’m seeing all the people on here that have the exact same experience! We need to look into some kind of class action suit. This is not ok. 

I am never one to take time and write reviews especially bad ones but BUYER BEWARE,  After reading hundreds of reviews about the allergic reaction others have had as well,  I am confident I will be filing a lawsuit against this company.  My Scalp has never felt this awful in my whole life with a severe constant burning/itching sensation.  This has really taken a toll on me, I am not able to even function anymore because the itching is so bad at times I cannot control it.  This product SHOULD NOT BE ON THE MARKET!  It is GARBAGE, and A Complete SCAM they must have come up with during COVID to try and take advantage of ppl.  There were only good fake reviews in the beginning and NOW the truth is coming out.  I am so Angry about what this product has done to me

My hair dresser used it on me without permission and I had massive massive Clumps / of Mush. I don't have unhealthy hair and now suddently I do! 

I am having the same experience.  My hairdresser praised it up and down, so I bought it.  After the first time using the complete set, I noticed some hair loss, but nothing I was too concerned about.  Yesterday I used it for the third time and HUGE chunks of hair were coming out.  It is non-stop breaking.  My hair was so healthy prior as I have not colored it nor styled it much since COVID. I can’t even run my hand through my hair without getting tons of breakage.  The only other time I have had this much hair loss from a product was years ago when I tried WEN.  What have people used to stop the breakage and repair their hair from Olaplex?

Olaplex 3 ruined my hair. I just joined the forum, gonna post my pics on the thread. It’s a nightmare! 

I agree olaplex isn’t for everyone it has destroyed my hair several times by breaking off mid shaft. I only just put 2 and 2 together that is has been the olaplex all along

Exactly like me!!! 

Ugh. I did a Google search and this is what I saw. I’ve used No. 3 three times, shampooed it as many times, used their deep conditioner once, and use No. 6 regularly. I do like No. 6. The second time I used No. 3, I had a small cluster of strands fall into my hand. I just assumed I had missed a spot, since it’s damaged there. Then tonight the same thing happened in the same spot. I’m petrified now. I have colored my hair with party colors for three years, and had an unfortunate bleach experience last year that mainly damaged my bangs. This was supposed to help me recover, and I had high hopes. 

What are people using to combat the damage? And is it too late for me, even only using it three times? I’m 53, and I don’t have a lot of hair to spare. 

I just started reading this thread this morning - I’m horrified more at the fact that I haven’t heard real solutions or reversal of this. I’m 55. In now have BALD SPOTS.  I’m literally crying 

Hi,

I have had a lot of hair falling out after using the Olaplex n4 & n5. At first, I thought it is stress but it wasn't!

I just stopped using it one fine day and used the regular drugstore shampoo Maui (which was always worked well for me) and voila! I did not lose any hair not in the shower nor brushing/combing later.

I returned the shampoo and n3 (which I had ordered).

Never ever am I going to buy that Olaplex.

Yes I have noticed the same thing my scalp became more itchy and sensitive also the shampoo keeps my hair dry I used the full set i will never buy it again the only thing that’s work for me in the oil n7 

Yep I started getting hair loss from the first day I used their shampoo and conditioner. I don't know what all the hype is about with their products as it's a definite no no for me. Didn't get any rash or irritations, just alot of hair constantly falling out. I had hair loss happening in the shower then throughout the day. I'm starting to think people are falsely praising the product as my hair has thinned out and I started getting bold patches ever since I started using the product. It did cost be alot to buy it but I'd rather it be in the trash then on my hair. 

I am scared reading all these comments about olaplex. I just ordered the stand alone salon treatment for myself. The number 1 and 2, after having great results at the salon. I have done two treatments so far and all I can see is how much healthier my bleached hair look and feels. It had actually become "gluey" when wet...it would stretch really far and finally break, the worst form of damage and olaplex "appears" to have healed my hair. 

4 Replies
testing