Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

Olaplex 3 and hair loss?

Has anyone experience excessive shedding of hair after Olaplex 3 treatment??

I thought it was a coincidence the 1st time, but it happened after the 2nd and 3rd tx.

I used it weekly x 3, and the hair loss after the 3rd treatment is noticeable.

I will not use it again (and only used about 2/3 of 1 bottle).

No hair scalp itch or redness, to suggest an allergic reaction. 

Re: Olaplex 3 and hair loss?

I know with sulfate after shampoos you have to scrub the product out while rinsing it out because it can leave build up... that might be a reason for scalp issues idk about the hair loss though 

Omg I never heard anything like this!!! Is it all olaplex products or just the # 3 treatment. I use olapex number 4 and 5 about every 5 days when I shower and number 6 after air drying about 60% of the way. I noticed a huge (positive) difference in my hair since I started using it, it’s healthier, less frizz and breakage, and an overall better texture... o don’t even have to style it or use heat on my hair anymore... Should I not being using these products to prevent this problem or keep using them because I’ve had such good results??? Kinda scared I’m gonna lose all my hair, even though since I started using olaplex my hair has grown more and has been healthier than ever.

Yes! This is the only thing I’ve changed the last 3 months and I’ve noticed so much shedding and my hair is so thin. I thought it was stress from work but I’m convinced it’s this product. My hair is brittle my scalp is itchy and I lost the wave I once had. Did yours ever grow back after you stopped using? Help! 

95922E47-5A2B-4658-9923-04ED64DEFCC1.jpeg

I’ve been experiencing this problem too. The hairdressers are swearing by it saying they’ve used it on everyone and no one has had any problems and that it’s been the best! Well not for me nor the people here 😩. I had so much hair loss that I’ve never ever had before. 

Yes! I used Olaplex No. 3 Hair Repair Perfector  and it made my hair break off at the ends. It also ruined the wave/curl that it once had.  I have fine, naturally wavy, color treated hair. BEWARE!It is definitely not for every hair type.

same for me every time I use it regularly all my ends break off. I thought it was hormones or stress but get huge cuts everything is better then I start to use olaplex and today all my hair is thin and broken again. So it’s definitely why as this has happen for a year and a half every time I use it regularly I only just realized it was the olaplex. Of course everyone says how good it is but it doesn’t work for everyone. 

Helpful information...

Yes, after first use a few days later I washed my hair and it shedding so much in the shower. I became alarmed because along with shedding my scalp was burning. It's been two days and my scalp is on fire and irritated. This is my first and last time deviating from my haircare routine and products. I usually use all natural products from the Just Nutritive haircare line #justnaturalhaircare.com and henna to strengthen and thicken my fine hair. The only reason I tried Olaplex was because I was looking for a protein treatment to use instead of henna and because of its raving reviews. I should have just used Babyface protein #babyfacestore.com which I have used many times in the past with great success. This is what I get for deviating and running after YouTube and online reviews. I pray no more of my hair comes out. Never again!

Hello!

I’m sorry you’re dealing with damage from Olaplex. This whole group is very eye opening!

Just wanted to clarify that Olaplex is not a protein treatment but a bond building to repair and strengthen hair chemically. A good protein treatment that I use is CurlSmith Bond rehab which is a bonding and protein treatment. Most reviews I’ve watched prefer that over Olaplex and so do I.

Hope this helps,

Jordan

Ohmigosh!! Why is this product still being sold if this many people are experiencing hair loss???? I have one of their shampoo products that I received as a gift sitting in my shower that I haven't used yet. Guess where it's going when I get home?!! You guessed it, in the TRASH!!!

This is not good. I think I'm going to write to Olaplex!

@TeamBIC Please take note of this. Some of us using the same shampoo product/brand have noticed an increase in hair loss.  

Thank you for sharing I’m experiencing the same issue. I thought it was just me. I definitely noticed my hair feels crunchier also

I am using this as well and have experienced a lot of shedding.  I just thought it was me, though? I know a lot of folks dealing with hair issues during the pandemic, so I figured it was attributed to that.  EEEK.  I may need to stay away from these "beauty" shampoos and ask my dermatologist what to use. 

I used the Olaplex 3,4,5 and 6 a while back in a sample pack .  The shampoo is eh.  My hair felt excessively dry but then after 5 and 6 my hair was soooo soft.  So, I bought the whole system a few weeks ago.  IMMEDIATELY after the first use I had way more hair come out in the shower.   I'm used to some but this was more.  The next time I used my regular stuff and it was ok.   A few strands but nothing alarming.  To double check I used the olaplex again today and extra hair came out again!!!  And it's not breaking...it's coming out at the root.  No itchiness or irritation just hair coming out more than normal.  Returning immediately.  

I started using the olaplex shampoo, conditioner and bond smoother this week. This is my third wash and I noticed my hair wouldn't stop coming out. My head was itchy from the shampoo and I counted on the wall over 150 hairs, not to mention all the others I washed off my hands before I realized this was an issue. I searched to see if this was an actual issue, and I was shocked to see so many people saying the same things. This product is pushed so heavily by so many hair dressers, you would think it would be amazing. Sad. 

I havent used Olaplex #3, but I recently bought Olaplex #4. #4 has been thinning my hair way more than I've ever seen it. Idk why. My hair feels fine but its Definitely thinning my hair. I have no idea what to use my hair because nothing out there seems good for my hair. Annoying.

Thank you for this thread!! I have used olaplex shampoo and conditioner irregularly for the past year. I always noticed that the shampoo made my hair really dry so I did not use it very often. However, this winter, I was gifted the olaplex 3 treatment and thought I'd try it out. I used it a few times and liked it, so got a new bottle. Suddenly, my roommates started mentioning how they were finding my hair everywhere. I thought that was weird given that I had lived with them for months before this and it was never a problem. Continued using olaplex 3. Shedding continued. Today I took a shower and huge clumps of my hair fell out, which prompted me to think about what products I have added recently (olaplex 3) and search if anyone else has had hair loss experiences too. I am so sad about this and plan to buy new hair products today, I am just not sure which are the best ones. If anyone has any recommendations let me know I would be very grateful.

I have a serious love/hate for Olaplex 3. I damaged my fine healthy hair after using Natural Instincts newest formula a few months ago. I had to cut 4-5 inches off my very long hair then I decided to give Olaplex 3 a try. The first time I used it I noticed a bit of improvement. It was very encouraging. A week later I used it again and my ends looked and felt as ratty as they did they before using it. Wtf? I waited another week and used it again and my hair looked and felt AMAZING. Like I'd never damaged it at all. Thicker, so soft and silky, no tangles and bouncy. I honestly couldn't believe it. I told everyone I know that colours their hair that they HAD to try this stuff. But of course for some dumb reason I thought I should finished up the bottle given how much I paid for it and used it again a week later (a few days ago now) and hair looks and feels worse again. Thin, ratty and tangly and it feels rough instead of silky. I don't understand how this product can make my hair look and feel amazing one week and the next it looks damaged again! I'm kicking my butt for doing this last treatment. I haven't changed my shampoo or conditioner (and both are free of protein as my hair hates protein), I don't use any hair products and I blow dry on cool so nothing else could be responsible for this. I'm so confused now. I don't know whether to use it again or leave it alone. FML.

I’ve started using olaplex a few months ago and noticed my hair was thinking.  I used it once a week.  Then I purchased more products, the bond reconstructor, the oil, and the bond maintenance.  My hair began to feel very dry and brittle.  To fix my hair, I used Olaplex more often, then my hair began to fall out or break off in large quantities.  I have lost over half of my hair!  My hair was long, soft, and full.  It’s now shorter, ratty looking, thin, and stringy!!  I stopped using olaplex for a couple of days, but my hair still fell out or broke off.  I was told by a dermatologist that it could be a reaction to the Covid I had in November.  However, how does this explain the hair loss before Covid?  My thyroid is normal and so is my ferritin, vitamin D, and B12.  Out of prayer and desperation I found this website and thread.  Praise God for answering my prayers.  I’m going to stop using Olaplex immediately and hopefully my hair will grow back.  It took almost 2 1/2 years to grow my hair long and now I am not sure if permanent damage has been done. This was the worst day of hair loss ...in the shower hair was coming out so much I had to keep cleaning it off of my hands to continue washing my hair.

pbprincess3_0-1615024224981.jpeg

Olaplex made my hair fall out too 😞 it turned my curls into straw and my hair snapped off at my ears and shoulders. And my hair loss occurred a year before I got covid. So mine was not covid related (tellogen effluvium) and mine was not caused by heat damage as I stopped straightening my hair before covid and during the entire quarantine. My hair also wasn’t chemically processed And my blood work came back normal 

B9DBBB13-F55D-4B26-8C84-158EB295BE3E.jpeg

OMG, I swear the same thing is happening to me, except I've noticed my head is itchy and I have dandruff now too which ive never had. Since you stopped using it how is your hair now??

1 Reply
testing