Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

Olaplex 3 and hair loss?

Has anyone experience excessive shedding of hair after Olaplex 3 treatment??

I thought it was a coincidence the 1st time, but it happened after the 2nd and 3rd tx.

I used it weekly x 3, and the hair loss after the 3rd treatment is noticeable.

I will not use it again (and only used about 2/3 of 1 bottle).

No hair scalp itch or redness, to suggest an allergic reaction. 

Re: Olaplex 3 and hair loss?

Ughhh I was literally a victim of Monat and then chose Olaplex as my next shampoo...Ivee always had fine hair but its so bad you can see scalp in some spots 😞

I didn't know we could chat and wanted to ask. YES!  Ruined my hair!  Dry, breaking, straw. I am at my wit's end.  It is the worst!!!!!!

I have had a similar experience with Olaplex.  I use the shampoo and conditioner as directed and the #3 once or twice a month as directed.  I began losing large amounts of my usually thick hair.  No scalp itch or redness to think it is an allergy.  Went to a physician and had blood/lab work done to make sure it wasn't a health issue.  All that came back normal.   Will not use the product again.  

Has your hair improved since then

I’ve been experiencing hair loss on the sides of my head. I’ve been using Olaplex 4,5,6 and 7 for a little over a year and I’ve noticed that my hair went from having some waves to pin straight, oddly dry especially in the front and gets greasy. My natural hair is thin strands but a ton of hair so it looks and feels thick and I used to have waves and curls on the underneath of my hair which are all gone now. The hair loss on the sides of my head are significant. I can see my scalp when my hairs back which has never happened. I’m getting blood work done but after reading this I have a strong feeling it’s from this line. Has anyone else not used #3 and still had this happen? 
This also happened when I tried Monat except I lost CHUNKS AND CHUNKKKKKS of hair and I only used it for 6 days. But with olaplex I don’t loose chunks or a whole lot but it seems what I do loose just isn’t coming back in. 

1CB0A32B-819F-401B-901D-B3D4E52F8BCA.jpeg

If your dealing with hair loss, try to keep your hair from being damaged over night, by wrapping your hair. I know of a really good product, it’s called OKIYAH - they have THE best hair wrap turbans and you can choose to have it Satin Lined. Here’s a picture of the one I’m using.

@Danierae3

completely the same for me... I am devastated  

YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO USE OLAPLEX EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE, it is a high protien shampoo/cond and can cause your hair to brittle if overused, i mainly use a moisturizing shampoo and occasionally use my olaplex. 

I have used olaplex ALTERNATELY with my regular  shampoo and STILL losing tons of hair 

I am devasted.  So it’s not that I overused it.  Thank God I didn’t.  I’m almost bald now. Literally in tears 

I'm so sorry. I'm going through the same thing. 

Olaplex contains zero proteins and zero oils... for all of their products. That’s why they say you can’t overuse or damage your hair. You can have breakage from using other products.. even using the wrong heat protector. I learn that the hard way. Sorry to hear you hating the products. They have done wonders for me in only 3 uses. The 3rd use i notices more breakage and shedding but that’s because your hair has many hairs that are meant to shed out regardless. So when you wash your hair you’ll see more shedding because those hairs that are ready to dislodge get that little push. That’s why sometimes you notice you shed more and sometimes you shed less. If you had very bad damage to your hair it won’t mend those huge splits in your hair. It will strengthen you hair but it won’t just put together your split ends that have already split. As far as I know. I get super anxious when my hair sheds or breaks.. I have very fine hair and i had to cut it above shoulder length after having hair almost to my butt... so I get the struggle. And I’m too scared to use extensions... too lazy to try a wig. Hahah after damage this stuff helps ALOT. But you have to adjust your routine sometimes. 

Spoiler

I thought it was great for the first 3 months too.. my hair was super soft and silky. Then I lost like a third of my hair. People use it according to the instructions on the bottle.. I researched everywhere when I started using it and couldn't find a single warning against using it too much. In fact it said to use all olaplex products only for the best result and to get the full effect. I bought the whole line and used it exactly as the instructions said. It's not user error when the company is misleading people.

THE BOTTLE SAYS USE EVERYTIME YOU SHAMPOO. So people are following the directions on the BOTTLE. How can people have known you aren’t supposed to use it  different!???  

image.jpg

I sometimes alternated with my revalue shampoo and I STILL have lost over 1/2 my hair :-(. But yes I agree / some are saying done over use - but ALL this instructions say to use the entire line regularly 

I have used Olaplex and absolutely loved it!  Never had an issue with hair loss.  I would put it in my hair one a week and leave it in over night, then wash it out with shampoo in the morning.  It left my hair extremely soft.  I usually would use both a shampoo and conditioner however after washing and rinsing with a shampoo the next day, I didn’t even have to add any additional conditioner. #olaplex

Thank you for saying that !! I tell people that all the time and they don’t listen. Briogeo makes a no protein mask that is amazing called be gentle, be kind. 
Briogeo Be Gentle, Be Kind™ Avocado + Kiwi Mega Moisture Superfoods Hair Mask 8.0 oz/ 240 mL 

I have curly/kinky (4A) hair and have only used olaplex 3 once. I followed the instructions exactly as stated and as soon as it was time to rinse out, I noticed my hair was falling out into curly clumps, something it had never done before. I am very strict about my hair routine, I take very good care of my hair and have a pretty consistent diet. The only anomaly I could think of is Olaplex. I wanted to enjoy this product, but I will never use it again because I am frightened by the fact that my hair is losing its fullness because of excessive hair loss. It's been about 4 weeks since I used Olaplex and I am still experiencing some shedding of multiple curl strands clumped together, rather than one strand. However, this occurrence has significantly gone down over the weeks so I am hoping eventually it will end, but this Olaplex experience has scarred me. 

My son has the 3c hair type and is having the same issue with hair loss after using Olaplex. He's devastated!

Has your hair stopped coming out?? Has your growth started back? Any suggestions to help?

Apparently using too many products high in protein ( added for softening hair) can cause hair loss.

We should be using products for hydration instead.

That being said, I experienced hair loss from low ferritin (iron).

Stress and hormones can also be a major factor in hair loss for women.

I have been noticing lately that there are many, many women with this problem and I don't recall seeing this in the past (I am 58).

Environmental toxin must also be a cause....but nobody will ever admit to that 🤷‍♀️

I am in the same boat!  I used to have what they called fine naturally curly hair but a lot of hair if that makes sense?  I have dark brown hair that I have to color the gray out growth approx every 3.5 weeks.  I have used heat most of my life so yes it’s not healthy.  I am very low on iron and vitamin D (nothing seems to help increase my Vit D.  I am going through the “change” and wanted to know what you’ve taken to help. 

Do you take any Omega-3’s? I take them for the DHA, anyways some products have Vitamin D3 included.  Nordic Naturals is an amazing product.  I have been taking it for Omegas and Vitamin D. For kids their gummies are delicious as well.  

testing