Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

Olaplex 3 and hair loss?

Has anyone experience excessive shedding of hair after Olaplex 3 treatment??

I thought it was a coincidence the 1st time, but it happened after the 2nd and 3rd tx.

I used it weekly x 3, and the hair loss after the 3rd treatment is noticeable.

I will not use it again (and only used about 2/3 of 1 bottle).

No hair scalp itch or redness, to suggest an allergic reaction. 

Anonymous Insider

Re: Olaplex 3 and hair loss?

Ever since I’ve been using it my hair has been falling out in globs!! 

Wow wish I saw this strand before using Olaplex myself !

Yes the hair shedding is real! More than normal.

I stopped using it because my hair felt dry so I started using Kerastase “resistance” line.
My hair feel amazing so far. 
Hoping it saves my thin hair !  

Anonymous Insider

I wish I saw this post months ago too..I have lost huge chunks of my hair, every time I have used this stuff. My hair turned to straw and it doesn’t do that with other shampoo lines. use the Redken bleach hair repair line, I really love that stuff. I think there is something very fishy going on with the “fake popularity” of this olaplex product. 

I know I WISH I had read all the bad review about Olaplex 3 before I put on my hair.... kicking myself!   I've used the same products for YEARS Joico & Oribe then a hairdresser friend with super shinny hair recommended Olaplex. After just 3 uses, my hair is COMPLETELY void of shine, weight and feels like cotton...Also breaking and tons of strand loss... constantly!   Luckily I have a lot of hair, it's very fine though. I don't know if it strips the cuticle of the hair for some people? But I'm trying to refill it to see if that helps with the breakage, by *depositing only* a clear gloss and using glazes. Next, in about a month I'll try a *deposit only* toner... Just TRYING to keep it from breaking even more!  - One time, years ago, I used coconut oil on my hair overnight and it also ruined my hair. Fried it. So some proteins just don't work with some people's hair. 

I am so glad I stumbled onto this thread!.. Started using olapex in February '20. After just one use of number 3 my hair got "silky" which I initially took for a positive because my hair is normally very thick and corse.  Over the next week or two the hair loss was not significant but the individual hairs went from thick and strong, almost like fishing line to very thin, started to break, got incredibly frizzy and flat, got greasy very quickly. I ended up with about 1/4 of the hair volume I had just a couple of weeks before. I panicked. I initially thought this happened due to meds I was on which I immediately stopped and began taking all supplements under the sun to undo what was done. Nothing was helping. My doc said it was not the meds, I get blood work done which came back normal, but through all these months I kept using olapex numbers 3,4,5,6 and 7!!!

My previously strong hair is unrecognizable. The thickness and volume is gone. It's breaking like crazy, not to mention that to deal with this my hairdresser recommended to "cut off the damaged hair" which I did and now have shoulder length, thin hair (previously down to just above my waist). She also did not make the connection to olapex, which she recommended to me originally, btw.

It did not occur to me that all of this could have been caused by my hair products, by a brad that has been championed by hair stylist... I am pissed. I stopped using all of it, but I am worried that the damage has been done permanently. So I have a question. For those of you who are in the same shoes, DID YOUR HAIR IMPROVE AFTER YOU STOPPED USING OLAPEX?? Did it go back to normal? I have no clue what to expect since this issue is not something that is widely recognized and documented I'd like to know what you experienced. I don't want to get my hopes but after months of not knowing wtf is going on with me, I'm hoping I found the culprit and can reverse the damage that was done.  

@Justyna39 Same issue here! It’s been a few months since you wrote this, have you seen any improvement since you stopped using olaplex? I’m terrified my hair is going to be gone forever 😞

@Justyna39

i am in the same predicament! Started using OLAPLEX about 10-12 months ago. I’ve lost soooooo much hair.  I thought it was ME! I thought I must’ve had something wrong with me. Deficiencies, aging (53), too much styling w heat. But I came to realize it’s the shampoo/conditioner/mask (3,4,& 5) 

i had all things checked out too-bloodwork etc and was in perfect health so I soon realized with how long it’s been happening lined up with how long I’d been using the Olaplex. I too am devastated over it and I’m a hairstylist !!! I use #1 & 2 for all my lightening / coloring purposes and have had no issues as it’s only used on the one person every time they get color done and not on the daily use. But for myself I’ve been using the shampoo/conditioner/hair mask daily/weekly… I had no idea my hair was falling out in clumps because of all of this… Now it all makes sense now that I’m reading through all of this thread… I’m heartbroken and hoping my hair will regain its integrity and volume now that Ive realized what the culprit is.  

Anonymous Insider

I am sorry to hear about your situation but I went through this as well. Your exact story! 
yes it will be ok.  Threw all that opalex in the trash! All of it.  I also should of been told by my hair dresser!!! It’s devastating to go through this.  I switched back to redkin soft shampoo n conditioner.  BUT the real healing element was these 3 items. 

plus I switched brushes n switched straightest. 

shu uemura Netsu Design Blow Dry Cream

Original mineral Project sukuroi hair balm

SHU UEMURA blow dry protector.Thermo BB

Olivia Garden NanoThermic Round Brush. It will be ok.  My hair is better then it ever was with these products 

Unfortunately it will take a long time to correct depending on how much hair loss you experienced. 

I've been taking 2500mg of biotin and I have growth in my hairline,  but it still feels thinner.

Apparently collagen helps too.

Google them to see which is best for you.

Good luck!

Anonymous Insider

Olaplex is bad -do not purchase - read the reviews on Reddit-  it’s too late for me after losing 1/3 of my hair- grateful I figured it out and I hope my friggin hair grows back! Remember WEN? Repeat.

Mitsubishi the middle of the night and I’m so upset- I have always had very thick Curley puffybcoarse hair - it’s NOW thin flat friz- I thought my hairdresser put layers in my hair and I now know she didn’t it’s the breakage and hair balls in my drain. I should have realized it sooner-I use all the numbers for about six months- omg I hope my hair restores to my usual state. DO NOT PURCHASE!

Anonymous Insider

This happened to me too! 1/3 of my hair! Gone! I used it for six months too! But! I think I found some hope! The Redken line for bleached hair repair seems to be helping a lot! My curls are bouncy and fluffy again after I threw away my olaplex! It will be okay! We will make it! Try the Redken repair line! I hope I helped a bit!

This exact same comment was posted verbatim on reddit's /r/haircarescience sub by a brand new account, and was deleted for spam and misinformation. Something very fishy is going on with some of these accounts and posts. 

Anonymous Insider

Spoiler

I finally research about olaplex 1-3. For the fourth time like chunks of full length hair are coming off of my head. 

Anonymous Insider

I noticed when I wash my hair at the salon I don’t have chunks of hair falling out. 

I used Olaplex no. 1-3 a few months ago. Immediately after washing out, my hair felt awful. After my hair air dried, I noticed a very abnormal amount of breakage. I didn't attribute the breakage to Olaplex at that time because it's supposed to be safe, right?

I started using Olaplex shampoo and conditioner a few days later thinking it would remedy the problem.

My hair continued to break off, a lot, until present day.

I thought my hair breakage was maybe due to some nutrition issue or even another product that I was using on my hair.

A few nights ago is when I realized that my hair didn't start breaking until I started using Olaplex and it was, in fact, Olaplex that was and is causing the damage.

I had a pretty big incident (it was big to me!) with Olaplex a few nights ago. I decided to try Olaplex no. 1-2 again due to the severe breakage I was continuing to have. I used the standalone treatment again per the company instructions on the company website. While I was rinsing it out, I felt sort of a large hairball, if you will and just figured it was a tangle, until it rinsed out. That is when the horror struck. It ended up being a very large section of my hair that had just broken off. Throughout my shower, a lot more hair just broke off. I now look like I have a shag haircut.

I will not be using Olaplex any longer. I want my long, thick, beautiful bouncy curls back. My hair is now almost straight, it's totally fried and sooo thin, like baby hair thin. Makes me sad.  😞

it is garbage. I already have thin hair and was thinking this was the cause, and it is.  I am pissed!!!!!!!  Now what?

Update: had full panel of blood work done and everything was within normal range. Had to get a modified shag haircut due to all of thr hair loss and breakage. Stopped Olaplex completely and bought full line of Eufora (amazing plant based hair care line!). My hair is healthy and returning to normal now.

Anonymous Insider

I recently started using olaplex 3 & after the second time my scalp was very itching other than that there were no signs of an allergic reaction. Does anyone know what that means?

Are you keeping it on too long? It can’t be left on any longer than it says. It’s protein overload and will cause breakage. Also, your hair may not need protein. Too much protein causes breakage. Try remedying it with a moisturizing mask or conditioner that has no protein at all in it. 

No, you cannot "leave it on too long". It says a MINIMUM of 10 mins. I just read a blog with a woman who used it 7 days in a row for TWELVE hour at a time. Her stylist said the longer its on the better, she slept with it in. However, her blog post was about positive effects from Olaplex. So to further clarify, YOU CANNOT LEAVE IT ON TOO LONG.  

I did cut out Olaplex and my hair is getting better.

I had been using Olaplex shampoo/conditioner then a moisturizing mask. I guess my hair just does not like Olaplex.

I would add that we do have hard water. I ordered some Malibu crystal gel and will try that before any further Olaplex, way further down the road.

testing