Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

Olaplex 3 and hair loss?

Has anyone experience excessive shedding of hair after Olaplex 3 treatment??

I thought it was a coincidence the 1st time, but it happened after the 2nd and 3rd tx.

I used it weekly x 3, and the hair loss after the 3rd treatment is noticeable.

I will not use it again (and only used about 2/3 of 1 bottle).

No hair scalp itch or redness, to suggest an allergic reaction. 

Re: Olaplex 3 and hair loss?

I kept product on and set a timer one minute and a half under manufactures guidelines. I was so careful. 😞

Olaplex say,it's not a protein treatment...😒 I have terrible reaction. Stiff hair,extreme hair loss, scalp pain,burning my roots! I'm trying hydrate my hair,but it's not better. 😞 Like plastic! 

I'm so sorry you are having a bad reaction as well. 

I see some people saying Olaplex is not a protein treatment and some people saying it is?

okay, your right to be confused bc so many ppl are contradicting themselves. Olaplex is a BOND BUILDER, which is done WITH PROTEIN. It is a protein infused bond builder. 

@jadecat027   Olaplex isn’t a protein treatment or a deep conditioner.  It’s a bond builder.  You still need to be deep conditioning  and treating your hair on top of using olaplex or it will become dry and brittle.  Think of it as a glue rinse to bond your hair shaft shut.   Once a week seems to be the most beneficial for my own hair and I don’t apply it directly to my scalp-just the hair that is the most processed that needs a little extra help.  
I feel so terrible for all the people who are having difficulties with this product and are experiencing trauma from hair loss:(. I haven’t researched this but I’m wondering if some people are sensitive or allergic to an/the ingredient(s) or whether they’re experiencing buildup or both or simply seasonal hair loss or a hormonal fluctuation?  Did the

company recently change the ingredients or supplier? So many questions and so many variables.  My number one suggestion for anyone experiencing shocking hair loss is to head straight to your GP or dermatologist to rule out any common medical issues (thyroid, fungus etc) 

Thank you for that advice. I will try to use Olaplex maybe once a week but at a quarter of the recommended time for no. 1-3 and once a week as well for the shampoo/conditioner. The rest of the time will be moisture therapy. I will use a Malibu treatment a day prior to Olaplex as our water is hard. Then tailor it from there based on how my hair responds.

So I went to a high end salon and had to get my hair cut to my chin after this unfortunate Olaplex ordeal. Sort of a modified shag cut. I have never had it so short. 😞  However, my hair is finally HEALING after using the Eufora hair product line suggested by my stylist. Total Win! My hair is coming back. Olaplex is banned in my house now. I did go to the doctor to have my labs drawn just to R/O. They showed my cholesterol was mildly high and otherwise, I was fine. Lesson learned. Olaplex will be filed in the round bin.

I just read the post below me.

The hair catcher I have over my drain also gets so full of hair that the water in the shower backs up and pools. I clean the hair catcher after every shower. That's a lot of hair falling out.

I didn't realize so many other people were having problems with Olaplex. If I would have known that before my initial Olaplex incident, I would have never bought it. My stylist had a lot of really good things she had to say about Olaplex. I trust her, so I decided to give it a go. (Which ended up being a no-go for me.)

Anonymous Insider

So I've spent my whole Thanksgiving  2020 reading these comments and not only am I not crazy, We Are Not Crazy!  Olaplex 3 is causing hair loss to all of us. I'm lucky that I've only used it twice (once a week the last two weeks).  After using it 4 days ago, after just doing a hair video I know it was the olaplex that has given me an huge cowlick right in the front of my head! I have a hair catcher in the shower and both times I used olaplex the catcher was so full the water was pooling. 

Save your receipts people! Even if you return your Olaplex because do you remember WEN?? Took the hair world by storm with positive reviews at first and within 4 years there were class action lawsuits paying in the thousands for each complaintant because IT MADE PEOPLES HAIR FALL OUT. The complaints were dismissed by WENs promoters too at first.

The Olaplex team is either lying or pacifying us until they can make enough money before they have to pull it from the shelves. 

Find another product people or find a wig for your bald head later.  

I'm having the same problem with the shampoo and conditioner. The first few weeks I used Olaplex, it seemed that my hair felt really strong and healthy then the ends became dry and the top of my hair began to thin. I began reading what many of you have said and I believe this product is dangerous and the company will be sued at some point. Shame on Olaplex!

Anonymous Insider

Could have said it better myself! There is something fishy going on with the hype of the olaplex! I lost 1/3 of my hair! I threw it away just yesterday and decided to google “olaplex destroyed my hair” and boom! I found this thread! I wish I found this months ago!

Hi everyone! While we encourage an open dialogue, we also require that participants always remain courteous and respectful. Our Community guidelines are here:https://community.sephora.com/t5/Customer-Support/BEAUTY-INSIDER-COMMUNITY-GUIDELINES-Updated-8-24-2.... Thank you all for your participation and for being part of Community!

@Vaesther I forgot to tag you in my last reply...you are not crazy and definitely are on to something. Way too many women had the same thing happen after opaplex and I'm one. Too many people just repeating what they've read off opaplex and what their hairdresser who's getting paid the big bucks endorse to make more money. Not that they don't have your best interest.😏 Until you've been in our shoes they won't get it, especially if it works for them and they love it. I've researched for the last few days and lots of wonderful info online about herbs, essential oils, teas and things that even science backs as helping to regrowth, strengthen, thicken hair and heal scalp. I joined an awesome group on fb for thinning and balding solutions. Its really helped connecting with other women going through the same. 💗

Anonymous Insider

What’s the FB group? Thx

Hi there! I’ve been using Olaplex ever since it came out, and my friends are all hooked! I might suggest hormones hard water or meds could be to blame.

Do you think this problem I had with the olaplex system could be because of the hard water I have in my home??

Hightly unlikely; let me guess, you've had hard water for ages and never had problems until now. I haven't mentioned this is my responses, but this EXACT thing happened to me. So I went on a differential diagnosis hunt: aka rulling things out to get to the actual issue and I thought the same thing RE: hard water. So what I'd done was order a filter for my shower that i replace monthly; however, the problem remained. I recommend you doing the same simply bc hard water doesn't help your hair or skin and in yourhair's recovery process it'll need all the help it can get.  But re: hard water, it can create issues for hair but NOTHING like what we're describing. I did exhaustive research into the topic.

This can 100% cause issues with olaplex, and a lot of other hair treatments. Mineral deposits from your water build up on the hair and essentially block the actives in olaplex (along with humectant/moisturizing agents in your conditioners, etc) from properly penetrating.
End result is hair that is crispy, brittle, dry, and cant properly absorb moisture because its basically being choked out by mineral buildup blocking all the good stuff.This is probably the single biggest issue I see in people's hair in the salon - hard water buildup. 

Definitely look into a chelating/clarifying treatment - I like Malibu Crystal Gel treatments in the salon and their hard water packets at home. You can get a shower filter attachment as well to help filter out the minerals from your water as well. t3 makes the T3 Source Showerhead Mineral Water Filter, but sprite makes a great one as well thats around $30 if you dont want to spend too much. 

@Tess57 absolutely not! I have lived with hard water long enough before opaplex lol and never had a problem with my hair until after opaplex 😔

Minerals can absolutely inhibit any type of hair treatment from working properly. It can also cause reactions to hair color and chemical treatments - even going so far as to cause extreme chemical reactions that melt the hair when combined with lightener. As a cosmetologist this is one of the most important things we learn in beauty school. 

I received Olaplex2 treatment in a salon.Since then my hair has been very stiff and dry!I've got extreme hair loss and scalp pain.For months!!Nothing works,nothing helps,getting worse! 😣

Like a nightmare!

I'm going crazy and i'm depressed!And angry! This is not seasonal hair loss or hormons!Since the product,this is not coincidence!I want it to end!What can help?How to solve?Can anyone help?😣

4 Replies
testing