Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

Olaplex 3 and hair loss?

Has anyone experience excessive shedding of hair after Olaplex 3 treatment??

I thought it was a coincidence the 1st time, but it happened after the 2nd and 3rd tx.

I used it weekly x 3, and the hair loss after the 3rd treatment is noticeable.

I will not use it again (and only used about 2/3 of 1 bottle).

No hair scalp itch or redness, to suggest an allergic reaction. 

Re: Olaplex 3 and hair loss?

@MissTamTam 

Should we visit reason for a second? 
You had 1 & 2 done in the salon and had good results right? 

@GG84  OHl... I don't know what "we" should do since this happened to "me". Do you work for them or are you just playing a spokesperson on the sephora board? Don't @ me anymore. I know what happened to ME. It broke my hair off as it did with the majority of people in this thread.  Sit down please.

@MissTamTam
Could you be any more rude? I’m a trichologist, salon educator and hairstylist and not affiliated with olaplex. I just know a WHOLE lot about the science of hair. Since you aren’t interested in help, you have a great night. 

Anonymous Insider

HI:

I have been experiencing horrible hair loss since using Olaplex 3 at home. I am wondering what I can do to save the hair I have left. 

Anonymous Insider

I’m having the same problem. It’s definitely the product. I had sudden hair loss and have been shedding ever since using the treatment 

Yes. I can use the shampoo, conditioner, styling cream and bonding oil with no problem. However, the No. 3 treatment you’re using makes my hair fall. I told my hair stylist and I think he thought I was crazy. He uses Olaplex in all my lightening treatments and nothing happens, so I think he believes I’m off my rocker lol. I’m not. The at home treatment made my head itch and my hair fall out, so I refuse to use it. I’m trying to figure out what is different about it than all their other products.

I contacted Olaplex about it via email, and they refuse to acknowledge there is a problem with the No. 3. What’s good for 1 isn’t good for all. At least it’s not just me. Thank you for asking this question.

To undo the damage and make my scalp feel better, I had to use Rosehip oil on my scalp and roots. At the same time, I used Aragon oil from the roots to end. Left it up in a clip for 2 hours. I did this twice and it helped tremendously. 

Anonymous Insider

I never got the salon treatment. I did the repair and shampoo and conditioner. DO NOT USE!! It does the same thing.. it burns it. My hair is in really bad shape 

Omg thank god I came across this posts! Been using these products for 3 months and I feel like such a idiot! I want refund. My hair was coming out in clumps and was blaming everything except this product. So so frustrating for me to have thick long hair and now I can literally see my scalp. 🤬

Same here! I had one treatment done by salon and I've used 0 and 3 twice and my hair is absolutely fried, dry, so much has broken off! It destroyed my hair! 😭 I thought it made no sense and didn't understand what was happening...

Their company is horrific for not warning people and continues to say its a miracle product! So upset 😡 Olaplex No. 0 Intensive Bond Building Hair Treatment Olaplex No. 3 Hair Repair Perfector 3.3 oz/ 100 mL 

I fear that the reason this Sephora link is the only reporting these problems is that Olaplex and other sites may be surpressing the information,  so KUDOS TO SEPHORA for doing what’s right and permitting this info to get out there.  

Anonymous Insider

We need to start a page or private support group so we can build a case. I called the salon where I purchased Olaplex 3 and they dismissed my claim. Thanks to this thread I discovered many others are having a problem with the product. 

I’m in, how would we even go about that? 

Even though I'm seeing this now.  I did a Google search on hair thinning and olaplex.  This is the only thread I can find.  Omg. I've gotten blood tests, seen a dermatologist and had no answers to why my hair is thinning.  I have used olaplex for over 1 year and it's soft but lost most likely 1/2 of my beautiful hair and never thought it would be from a product!  Wow. 

I use all the line from 0 to 6. This is disheartening.  I was all good until I began using olaplex.  Had any one stopped using olaplex and found some regrowth?  I need hope here.  Thanks for posting! 

Yes I stopped the olaplex and bought some hair growth oil and my hair is starting to look a little human. My hair grows very slow normally now it will be forever but eventually. Good Luck

Hi! Which hair growth oil did you purchase?

My hair was destroyed by OLAPLEX and now I want to share my story in order to save other people from experiencing I had.

Let me preface this by explaining that my hair prior to using the OLAPLEX system was long, full and healthy. I have natural blonde, straight hair that has not been highlighted in a year. I air-dry my hair every day and only use high quality products. Because of covid and quarantine, I never have to use heat on my hair. I probably only style my hair with heat once a month. Because I have taken such good care of my hair, it grew a thickened tremendously. 

I bought the entire line of products at Sephora because I had heard it’s the holy grail for hair health. Though I had never tried OLAPLEX, I trusted the brand because of how highly recommended and used they are by salon professionals all over the world. 

I used OLAPLEX  0, 3, 4, 5, 6, & carefully followed the instructions. Immediately I noticed that my hair was extremely dry after washing out the conditioner. When using their leave-in conditioner, I had to use a lot of product in order to finger through my hair. As heavy as that product was, it didn’t help my dry hair. After using this system for a week, my hair on the top of my head and surrounding my face all broke off.  It started coming out in clumps. I am devastated.

My hair has turned dry as straw and has shrunken up to these matted rats nests. It looks like my hair is elastic and sticky. Nothing has helped to fix the damage or return the moisture. The hair around my face that was once down to my chest has broken straight off and now it looks like I have a matted mullet. 

I know people who use these products and love them. However, I’m finding out that I’m not alone in this. There are a lot of people experiencing the same thing as me.

These products need to be removed from Sephora’s shelves. They’re not for everyone and the public needs to know the risks and potential disasters they may face if they use them. 

I am going through horrific olaplex hair loss and breakage. Can you please update your story. How is your hair now and did you find anything that helped? I have been to the doctor and everything is fine. I also had healthy long hair and am now having to wear wigs. Thanks

Anonymous Insider

Thanks for sharing. I can relate to your story and have the hair matting in the back. I’ve never had that. A few days ago I mixed organic apple cider and diluted with spring water. Sprayed on scalp and hair. Left on for 20 minutes. Also been using some essential oils and coconut oil. It helped give me a tiny bit of shine and body back to my super thin hair but still in bad shape and looks short with only getting a trim 3 weeks ago.  I’m lucky I had a lot or I would be bald by now. It’s been about a month and still losing a good amount of hair. This company needs to stand up to the problem and get this off the market. I emailed them tonight and hoping to get a response tomorrow. I’ll keep you posted. 

#olaplexhairloss 

I hope those who have had hair thinning and bald spots after using Olaplex 3 (or whatever you used) will consider going to FDA.gov and filing adverse event report of cosmetic product.  I believe FDA tracks adverse events reports and it has investigated other hair care products that have caused hair loss.  

I’m having excess hair loss look bald in the back of my head after using it and only realized it when my dermatologist told me stop it will cause issues with your hair ..

I got my hair cut recently, and I was telling my stylist how much I loved Olaplex. Granted, I have only used the No.6 styling creme, and nothing else. She warned me that since Olaplex has amino acids (protein) ingredients, they are to be used sparingly and only on damaged hair. Apparently healthy hair can be negatively affected by too much protein being added if there is already a sufficient amount of keratin present in the hair. I haven't looked to far into this so I'm not sure how accurate this is, but thought I would share since it could be an explanation. I'm so sorry that you experienced this 😞 

testing