Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

Maintaining Curls After a Wash

I’m completely new to this whole community thing Sephora has going on so hi! I’m also new to… Curly hair?? I saw a video somewhere that said that if you think you have frizzy wavy hair especially when you brush it out, you might actually have curly hair! So I did the thing where when it’s wet you scrunch it up and it helps the curls be more defined. BOY was I shocked at the absolute transformation of my hair; it was glossy, bouncy, and adorably filled with voluminous ringlets.

my issue is now that my hair has grown a bit, it’s heavier, and the curls don’t last past day 3 of a wash. (From sleeping on them, putting my hair up…) I eventually want to cut my hair again but I was wondering before I do that- is there any hair product that could help hold my curls together longer?? The only product I currently use is a heat-protectant spray before damp blow drying, and then scrunching my hair with my fingers.

Thanks for reading this far, and offering any curly-haired knowledge!

Re: Maintaining Curls After a Wash

@kaysquared I have curly hair and don’t use dry shampoo but the amika Mini Perk Up Dry Shampoo 1.8 oz/ 79 mL ! I find it really helps with volume and giving life back in my hair. But if my hair is in the dryer side I’ll use Mizani Coco Dew Curl Pre-Styling & Restyling Refresher Spray 6.8 oz/ 200mL works really well too ! And with curly hair I don’t shampoo and condition everyday. I do about 1x a week. I use the Mizani True Textures Cream Cleansing Conditioner 16.9 oz/ 500 mL everyday and it doesn’t strip the hair at all and really helps with frizz and my curl manageability. Might be a little heavy though if you cut your hair short again but work a try if you like to style daily and air dry. And my last advice would try sleeping with a silk hair wrap. Slip has one at Sephora but I just by mine on amazon. Helps with keeping style kept overnight well sleeping. Hope that helps ! 

Following. I’m always on the quest for a product to even help day 2 to refresh. I just bought Curlsmith’s Bonding Oil: got good results with it yesterday which was my first time using it.

I am new to the CGM. I find that misting my hair doesn’t do it for me: I have to actually WET my hair. Then there’s the game of what product and what amount. I generally get better results with DivaCurl and Curlsmith products.

also: don’t forget to do a deep treatment overnight every week or so. I put one of the deep treatment products on my hair with a shower cap and leave it on overnight, then wash it in the morning. It makes a huge difference when done regularly.

Hi @kaysquared - The BIC members on this thread have a wealth of knowledge when it comes to curly, wavy hair- https://community.sephora.com/t5/Curls-Coils/Ride-the-WAVE-with-me/m-p/4325979.

I don't curl my hair, not often anyway, but I have found that spraying my hair with COLOR WOW Dream Coat Supernatural Spray Anti-Frizz Treatment 6.7 oz/ 200 mL   and letting it air dry revives my curls after shampooing (but only when I add enough moisture because my hair is very dry and damaged.  I like to use a co-wash and Kiehl's Since 1851 Olive Fruit Oil Deeply Repairative Hair Pak 8.4 oz/ 250 mL )

Maybe that product would extend the life of your curls too.  It comes in a trial sized bottle also.

3 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors