Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

Long hair gets tangled/rats nest easily

Hi! I had longer hair past my bust line. I never had this long hair before but it constantly is getting tiny knots and within an hour it’s like a rats nest in the back - this is keeping it straight and using a flat iron. I would love to be able to curl my hair with a curling iron but with minutes it does that same thing. Any suggestions??
Anonymous Insider

RE: Long hair gets tangled/rats nest easily

I have really been liking Iles Formula products. The tangles literally slip right out of my hair.

Re: Long hair gets tangled/rats nest easily

Long hair definitely gets more tangly in the back!  Try giving yourself a nice clarifying wash (I like MalibuC undo goo) to give yourself a canvas free of any product residue.  You could take it a step further and have your stylist give you a chelating treatment to pull out mineral buildup too.  Follow with an Olaplex treatment for strength (the No3 you can actually get on here now) and then moisture, moisture, moisture!!!  Especially if you are using heat tools like flat irons.  Don't forget heat protectant!  I LOVE Oribe foundation mist as a lightweight protectant and their run through is a great leave in spray that gives you moisture without any heavy feeling which is important for me since I only wash once or twice a week.

The hair needs moisture, this can also be a consequence of too much heat, opening the cuticle of the hair. I reccomend a deep conditioning treatment, some hair oil and if your hair is really damaged or chemically treated Olaplex number 3. The treatments first mentioned in the comment above strip the hair and are meant for someone with other issues.

@natslovelist What are you referring to when you say the above treatment strips the hair? If you are talking about Malibu UnDoGoo it does not strip the hair what so ever. It is high in alkalinity but it is necessary to remove build-up. And literally anything with a PH higher then 4 will lift (not open as only chemicals can truly open and penetrate the cortex) the cuticles of our hair. So anytime we add water to our hair to wash it - lifted cuticle. 

I mean a product that is used to remove build up of minerals, or other things but as a consequence of a potent product it also removes naturally produced oil that keeps the hair moisturized. Therefore it may make the issue stated worse. I know in other places stripping the hair is used for coloring terms.

@runlolarunpunk@Celina1987 I'm a hair stylist so maybe I can shed some light. If we are talking tangles/knots on the underneath layer of the hair and the nape of the neck it's friction. I have long hair myself, though not as long as you @runlolarunpunk and this will happen to me also IF...

- I'm wearing a scarf or a high collard shirt, sometimes even if I have on a comfy sweater around my house...the material rubbing against our hair causes friction and will grab that fine hair at the nape and matte/tangle it

- I skip a silicone based hair styling product; silicone is NOT horrible despite what mainstream media wants to push into your heads. It causes fantastic 'slip' in the hair. My all time favorite is Sebastian Sublimate. You can apply a pea sized amount of this styling cream as much as you want throughout the day and it will never weigh your hair down. I can literally keep a tube in my car and in my purse! 

RE: Re: Long hair gets tangled/rats nest easily

Thank you! This is great. I will look in to it! ❤️

I’ve realized I didn’t condition my hair enough. When I started using more, it really helped keep my hair less tangled. Try kiehls sunflower conditioner pak. Or something like that. It’s in a tub and it works great! Use a generous amount and really give it time to settle into your hair. I recommend at least 5 minutes before rinsing @runlolarunpunk

I have the same problem. let me know if anyone answers th...

I have the same problem. let me know if anyone answers this! Thanks
9 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 9 Hearts Given
  • 7 Contributors
testing