From makeovers to personalized skincare consultations

Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever

Is my hair doomed to always be a dry and damaged for-ev-er?

I have fine dry hair (it was bleached about three years ago but that's it). It seems like no matter what heat protectant/dry hair/damaged hair product I use, my hair turns to straw if I blow dry it and/or flat iron it. I have tried air drying it, and while it's a little better, it still looks super dry afterwards. My hair is naturally wavy, and I like it straight and sleek, but it never turns out that way....always parched and dull. What am I doing wrong? 😞

Re: Is my hair doomed to always be a dry and damaged for-ev-er?

Hi @LilBitObsessed 

You need to load up on heat protectant and then replace any moisture lost. I spray IGK Good Behavior Spirulina Protein Anti-Frizz Smoothing Spray 5.6 oz/ 186 mL in my hair when it’s wet then after I’m done drying add some Olaplex No. 6 Bond Smoother Reparative Styling Crème

@LilBitObsessed I really like the Olaplex No. 6 Bond Smoother Reparative Styling Crème and the Olaplex No. 7 Bonding Hair Oil 1 oz/ 30 mL . You only need a little bit of both. I usually add the oil to the cream and run that through the middle and ends of my hair. I’ve recently started trying out the Fable & Mane HoliRoots™ Pre-wash Hair Treatment Oil 1.8 oz/ 55 mL . I’ve only used it once but I saturated my hair with it, left it in overnight, and in the morning after I washed it it was really soft. I’ve washed my hair twice since and I still feel like it’s softer than it was before I used it.

@LilBitObsessed What's your current routine?

Shampoo & Condition: Currently using either Marajo Nourishing Creme and deep treatment butter, or Bumble & Bumble hairdresser's invisible oil.

Heat protectant prior to blowdry/straightening: I've been using Kerastase Resistance Thermique or BB Glow Bond Building Styler 

I have used a mask instead of conditioner in the past but sometimes with my fine hair it gets oily. 

@LilBitObsessed I'm really not familiar with any of those products.  Have you tried a sulfate-free shampoo?  I found that really improved my hair.  I use Pureology Mini Hydrate Shampoo for Dry, Color-Treated Hair 1.7 oz .  As for conditioner, I've recently been experimenting with Redken All Soft Heavy Cream Super Treatment and the results have been rather good.  I got it due to a rec here on BIC.

I also like using a heat protectant on my dry hair before flat ironing.  I love Paul Mitchell Hot off the Press.  It was another BIC discovery - and I've been using it for years.  It really helps for texture for me.

Also, I was unclear if you were using BB oil shampoo/conditioner or the actual hair oil.  I highly rec a hair oil.  I used BB for a year and liked it.  The smell ultimately turned me off, and it seemed like it wasn't working as well.  I went back to one I had used for years by matrix, but it's been discontinued so I can't rec.

Good luck!  Let us know how it goes!  🙂

@LilBitObsessed your hair might be a bit dry until it grows out unfortunately which can take a bit. I've bleached my dark hair to a white a couple times and here are a couple things that have made a difference for me - one big difference I have really thick hair 

I also use a hair oil which I think if you have fine hair will weigh it down so maybe not the best bet 

The Briogeo stuff didn't do anything, but that Olaplex #3 was really awesome. Thanks! 🙂

Conversation Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
testing