Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
Anonymous Insider

I have dark brown hair and would like to dye it a dark purple. Any suggestions or feedback? Not sure if I have to bleach it first??

hair

Re: I have dark brown hair and would like to dye it a dark purple. Any suggestions or feedback? Not sure if I have to bleach it first??

@Anonymous I agree with the other posters, esp about going to a professional.  Just make sure that you go to a really good professional!  I would consults several colorists and see what they say.  Plus, I think a strand test is a great idea.  Good luck!

Re: I have dark brown hair and would like to dye it a dark purple. Any suggestions or feedback? Not sure if I have to bleach it first??

A lot of factors come into play when coloring your hair like the poster below mentioned. If you've never done it, you are better off leaving it to a professional. Find a good colorist in your city and go there. If you screw it up or damage your hair it's more work and more expensive to get fixed.

If you need to pre-lighten your hair it would depend if you have already coloured your hair before.  If you are working on virgin hair then getting a purple colour into your hair isn't hard as the the developer will be enough to open the cuticles in your hair and deposit the colour.  If you have any colour in your hair then you will need to either use a product that removes colour (like L'Oreal Effasol or RUSK Elimin8) or use lightener.  Another option if you don't want to have permanent colour put in your hair is to use a semi-permanent colour which requires no developer and the colour just sits on top of the hair shaft.  With dark brown hair you can use Joico Intensity or Manic Panic dark purple colours and it'll give your hair a purple shine and is not damaging to your hair.  You will have to apply this colour more regularly as it does wash out. 

Conversation Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 6 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing