From makeovers to personalized skincare consultations

Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever

I can't wash product from my hair... help?

I recently moved to a new city where the water is terrible and I've been unable to properly wash product from my hair. As a result, my hair is noticeably stringy and greasy immediately after a shower, and I oftenhave a slight residue left on my fingers while drying it. My hair is nowdull looking and even incredibly dry in some areas. I've now cut my hair far shorter than I like and no longer style it so it's a little less noticeable; it's made my morning routine miserable because I feel immediately frustrated and unclean. My confidence is a little hurt, and when looking back on pictures from only six months ago, I actually feel a little sad. Can anybody offer advice or recommend any products (that aren't terribly harsh/drying) that can help me get my hair back? What I've tried: - Only using shampoo and conditioner - Apple cider vinegar (as an alternative to a clarifying shampoo, which seemed to work for abit, but now doesn't seem to do much at all) - Rinsing with cold water - Filtered showerhead (not much of a difference, though I may need one of better quality)

Re: I can't wash product from my hair... help?

@xosey, that sounds like hard water woes which I have experienced. I know, it is the pits, feeling all this gunk in your hair. Where I was, I could still smell the minerals on my skin hours after taking a shower. If it's at all possible, I'd install soft water filtration either throughout your living environment or in your shower. Honestly you need to wash whenever you can with soft water. It goes away immediately ❤️

@xosey Thinking outside the box - is there a gym you can go to that has a different water supply?  I've heard of people deliberately buying gym memberships just to shower there!  😛

@xosey T3 has a filter showerhead. Can even do a last rinse with a jug of filtered water, dollar store has. I have hard water, Redken cream shampoo to remove mineral buildup (color safe), not every wash; Redken bonder pre shampoo 1xweek when hair is getting too dry, started with a 2 step hydration treatment at salon though. A keratin product when needed, like Keratin Complex Infusion Therapy.

If you can, add a water softener system to the home.

Note not all clarifying shampoos remove mineral buildup.

@xosey

This is a hard water issue.  I have solutions for you. Sprite makes a shower head that filters out all hard water and mineral deposits; its incredibly easy to install. Also pick up a bottle of Malibu UnDoGoo Shampoo. It will remove any traces of deposits your water previously left in your hair, it has a PH of 9. 

Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 5 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
testing