Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

Help! After illness EXTREMELY knotted/matted hair! ๐Ÿ˜ข

I've been dealing with a lot of health and chronic pain issues for the past few months.. The last thing I've been able to do is take really good care of my hair.. ๐Ÿ˜ข It's really long` naturally curly` dry and color treated.. I have a ton of hair but the strands themselves are fine.. Usually when I wash my hair i would comb/brush it out and put leav in cond` serum etc.. WELL since I've had a lot going on WHEN I was able to wash it i would detangle until I just couldn't and put it up in a bun.. Wet and thought I will deal with this later.. Now it's a complete mess! It's so tangled and like matted! I'm devastated! I feel like my hair was the one thing i had going for me and i have no idea what to do.. I've tried so many conditioners combs and picks.. Im afraid to wash it now because i read it makes the knots/mattes tighter.. Which i probably did before when I washed it & put it up.. So not only is dealing with all my health issues depressing.. My hair is completely ruined! Any one have suggestions? I dread thinking about having to shave it off! I feel like I should wash it because of all the products I tried to use to detangle? Feels like really bad dreads! Any and all suggestions welcome.. This was so hard to write and admit.. But I'm literally desperate now.. I feel like I've given up on myself completely.. ๐Ÿ˜ข TIA! โค๏ธ

RE: Help! After illness EXTREMELY knotted/matted hair! ๐Ÿ˜ข

๐Ÿ˜ณ

Re: Help! After illness EXTREMELY knotted/matted hair! ๐Ÿ˜ข

@Summer373 I'm so sorry to hear about your health problems, and now your sadness over your hair.  My sister couldn't take care of her hair after our mom died unexpectedly, and I helped her through all the knots and tangles.  We tried a little bit of everything:

I had an arsenal of tools, including a wide toothed comb to start from the ends up, a dressing brush for areas that just needed a little bit of care, and a sturdy brush for working things out from the bottom up.  I *might* have used a fine-toothed but only briefly.

We just took it one tiny area at a time.  She was crying the whole time but I kept reassuring her.

I had a bunch of hair products to help us through.  I started with hair oil (I was using Alterna Kendi Oil at the time) and let it soak, then began working; I tried to gently loosen some of the knots with my hands.  I also had conditioner that I applied when I needed some extra "slip."  I think I was using Phytojoba at the time.  

After over an hour we stopped, and picked up the next day for an hour and a half.

We were at my dad's (we both live out of state) so IDK if I would have used different products if I was at my home base or was close to Ulta or Sephora.  It sounds like the BICers have some excellent tips for you.  I might also add It's a ten Miracle Leave-In Product to use as a detangler, b/c many swear by it.

Best of luck!  Please keep your chin up!  It's always darkest before the dawn.  Please let us know how it turns out.  xoxo

P.S. I work in helathcare, and have seen many clients with terribly knotted hair after strokes, or in comas.  The nurses aids were always able to get everything out...it just took time.  No one ever had to shave their head.  I mention this b/c I want you to know that you are not alone, and that there is no shame or judgment.  

I know it was hard for you to come forward with this.  If you need further hair help, consider looking into a salon that has a stylist that is familiar with clients that have suffered illness (those who have been in bed, had chemo, etc.).  A local hospital may know of some good resources.  I know it is so hard to research when you are feeling so down, but we are behind you!

hi i know exactly what you mean but i dont have any sephora recommendations but....there is this drugstore one and omg it is the best it makes your hair look thick but some how decreased my knots i have hair past my butt and its extremly thick so detangling knots is my profession hope i helped

oops i forgot to mention the shampoo fml its dove oxygen moisture shampoo plus use the pantene detanging spray after washing it make brushing 10 times easier

As someone who has also been very sick and was not able to take care of her own hair I know your pain. I actually lost most of my hair when I was very sick. I started taking Hair, skin and nails vitamins as well as using a good detangling brush as my hair is VERY thick. It took me a while to get my hair back to normal but with the help of deep conditioner and detangling spray it is now back to normal though it still knots very easily. I hope you get better and your hair gets better too๐Ÿ˜Š

I had a knot of matted hair the size of a basketball and I used the lush hair mask tangled and it worked really good but it was hard to wash out

Unfortunately my favorite product for getting hair unmatted is not sold at sephora, but rather a large competitor, but it is a ride-or-die holy grail product so forgive me.  The brand is EVA NYC and the product is the 10-in-1 Magic Mane, Mane tamer.  Take a shower,  spray this throughout your hair and then brush it out.  Not only does it free up very tight "rats nests" as my mother calls them, but it also strengthens, conditions and gives your hair a shine.  It also protects from the damage of my flat iron.   Best of luck.

Oh man, I usually get matted hair where my hair rubs against my clothing because I have curly hair too. What I usually do is apply a ton of conditioner in the shower and work through it with a wide tooth shower comb. Sometimes though, I apply a detangling spray like DevaCurl no-comb Detangling spray to get through the knots. If neither of those things work, I'd suggest going to a professional hairstylist. In the future if your unable to manage your hair for a few days, you should wrap your hair in a silk wrap to stop it from tangling upon itself. Hope this helps.

Happened to me!! Go to a salon. They will get it out for you. I promise! I was so embarrassed I just told them I was rear-ended and couldn't move for two weeks. All was well!

I use unite 7 seconds it works wonders although it's not sold at Sephora it's amazing!!

Thank you for taking time to reply.. Do you think it would help get these large matted knots?

Yes it def would help! Iโ€™m sorry Iโ€™m just now replying

my hair tangles easily but since I started using beauty p...

my hair tangles easily but since I started using beauty protector leave in conditioner and detangler spray I've had no problems. and I shed a lot less hair when I comb out after using this spray. and I always use a really wide tooth comb. I hope this helps and you are back to being healthy soon.

RE: my hair tangles easily but since I started using beauty p...

Thank you so much for the well wishes and recommendation! Do you think it will work on these big huge matted knots?

Re: RE: my hair tangles easily but since I started using beauty p...

Hi Summer373, I'm not sure if you'll be able to read this because your posts were in 2017. I'm curious how you finally got the matting out of your hair? I am in the same situation. I've been hospitalized & laying in bed for a few weeks. Now I have very matted hair. My hair is long, thick, course & curly. I hope to hear from you or any of the kind people who replied to your post. Wish me luck!

I do think it will work. you will need to do spray all ov...

I do think it will work. you will need to do spray all over and then work on your hair in small sections. respray as needed. good luck and I hope you are doing better.

RE: my hair tangles easily but since I started using beauty p...

What spray do you use? I get tangles too โ˜น๏ธ

this is what I use and I love it.

this is what I use and I love it.

Re: RE: my hair tangles easily but since I started using beauty p...

EVA NYC Magic Mane.  It's an Ulta carried brand, but it's amazing.

Conversation Stats
  • 19 replies
  • 29 Hearts Given
  • 13 Contributors
Photos1
testing