Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever

Fine, Thin Hair and Scalp Help.

Hey guys, I have fine thin hair that is medium-long in length. My scalp is dry and flaky the first day after washing and super oily the second. I try to wash my hair every other day unless I'm going out. I've been using Paul Mitchell's Tea Tree Shampoo and switching between Herbal Essence Moroccan Oil Conditioner and Marc Anthony's Coconut Conditioner. My main issue is my scalp and the health of it, my hair falls out insanely and I was wondering if you had any suggestions for shampoos and treatments to help my scalp and prolong washing it. By the way, I usually blow dry and straighten or curl my hair every time I wash it. I know I shouldn't but I can't help it, I make up for the lack of volume with style. 😞 Thanks in advance!

Re: Fine, Thin Hair and Scalp Help.

I struggle with the same exact issues! I still have to wash every other day but the flakes and greasiness isn't an issue with this formula: Head and Shoulder 2 in 1 shampoo and conditioner (cond helps from being too harsh but in no way can be used alone), then Paul Mitchell Lavender and Mint Conditioner. This will also leave your hair smelling amazing even the 2nd day. Here's where it gets real - once a week, or bi-weekly, I do an egg wash in my hair. Take one or two eggs and scramble them, starting from tips to root I cover my hair in the liquid then let it dry out 30-45 min until it's hard. Take a shower and rinse thoroughly. In the AM I then wash and condition it out. Everyone has been commenting on how healthy it's been since, helps the shed, and the growth has picked up since I started this routine! Hope this helps! 

I had the same problem for awhile, especially during the winter. I have fine, thin hair that can look greasy fast, but my scalp was flaking. I used Head & Shoulders dandruff shampoo a few times to reduce the flaking. Then I started using coconut oil masks a few times a week. I would just warm up some coconut oil in my hand and apply it to my hair and scalp, then let it sit for about 20 minutes. It takes a few shampoos to get it all out, but when I do it regularly, my hair and scalp feel more balanced. In between shampoos, my scalp wasn't as dry and my hair didn't get as greasy. 

@Collected I've heard Head and Shoulders can cause hairfall so I use it occasionally and with paranoia haha. I've heard so many great things about coconut oil but unfortunately it breaks my scalp out like crazy into painful bumps, I do try to do it with olive oil however and the results haven't been significant to notice much improvement.

@Saranyaaa Try switching to Paul Mitchell Lavender Mint formula instead. It is a more moisturizing formula but will not add oil to your scalp. A culprit of the dry/flakiness you are experiencing may have to do with the conditioners you are using. Try Paul Mitchell Lemon Sage Conditioner *It's still within the Tea Tree line* so no need to worry about build up.

I'll definitely give it a try, I've heard mint is very stimulating to the scalp. Good to know, I never thought the flakiness could be a result of my conditioner since I only apply it to the ends. Any recommendations for a clarifying shampoo/treatment to help get rid of my current build up?

@Saranyaaa Sorry i didnt see this until now. Pick up Paul...

@Saranyaaa Sorry i didnt see this until now. Pick up Paul Mitchell Shampoo Two or if you can get your hands on Malibu UnDoGoo Shampoo even better, follow up either with a deep conditioner to balance the PH of the hair and scalp back down to a neutral level.
Conversation Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 7 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing