Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

Dry scalp with Olaplex shampoo?

Was wondering if anyone else’s scalp has become dry and itchy with dandruff after using the Olaplex shampoo. Never had issues with my scalp and I only wash my hair once a week, but it started to get itchy and dry a few months ago and the shampoo has been my only major change in hair routine.

Re: Dry scalp with Olaplex shampoo?

I used Olaplex No. 3 twice (a week apart) and WOW was my scalp itchy, sore, and flaky!  I am SO done with this stuff!  My hair feels TERRIBLE too. It's dry and straw-like. I was told to use a clarifying shampoo and a super hydrating mask without protein in it. Olaplex does NOT work for everyone. Buyer beware.

I had the same issue and I just bought the entire line... 

I had the exact same issue. I also suffer from psoriasis but I can tell if a shampoo is poor or bad. I had to take the olaplaex shampoo back. Their hair products are great but their shampoo not so much. 

Anonymous Insider

I'm having the same problem! I never thought my shampoo would be the problem. Thanks to you for sharing! I have never had dry scalp or dandruff.  I started using the shampoo a few months ago and that's when it started! I wonder if any of the other Olaplex products are causing the same problem? 1 and 2 saved my hair when I had a bleaching disaster. On the hunt for scalp products so I can get rid of this drama on my head! I see your post was over a year ago. I'm sorry this happened to you. I hope your scalp is better by now.  

Anonymous Insider

I had exactly the same problem. I do have dandruff certain times of the year and this is different. It clears up as soon as I stop using the olaplex. I use d a different shampoo for three months and tried olaplwx again yesterday. Same result, itchy flaky scalp. No doubt in my mind I have a reaction to this shampoo. So does my partner.

Anonymous Insider

SAME! I have used the #3 twice and the shampoo 5 times and I couldn't figure out why my scalp was so sensitive. I got a perm 4 weeks ago and thought Olapex would help keep my hair healthy. Instead, it has been falling out like crazy. I already have thin hair and I'm so upset that this product made this worse! How long does it take for my scalp to feel normal again????

This makes my scalp SEVERELY itchy and dry! I was wondering what was going when I switched back to it this morning. Now I have been putting witch hazel on my scalp because it is so damn itchy!!!

Update:  I have been using Aveda Damage Therapy and Aveda Rosemary Mint shampoo and conditioner and my hair is completely different.  No itchy scalp at all. 

Yes !!!! my daughter got it for me with the oil and conditioner . I have long curly hair ,I don't color it so its healthy and shiny . Well after I used it my scalp started itching , I have never had dandruff . I kept using it for a week but I couldn't stand the itching and my hair started falling in clumps . Had to stop using it 😞 feel sorry for my daughter that spent so much on something that damaged my hair instead of helping it . 

Anonymous Insider

Same! How long does it take for my scalp to feel normal again and my hair to stop falling out?

I tried Olaplex Shampoo & Conditioner last night and went to bed w/ my hair wet. I woke up this morning to a head FULL of dry scalp which has happened to me once before w/ another product a few years ago. I am super disappointed as I thought Olaplex was my answer. Tonight I am going to try #3 and rinse & then wash w/ my regular Wholefoods lavender S & C. 

I'm experiencing the exact same thing! I've never had any issues with dandruff or a dry scalp but since switching to the Olaplex shampoo and conditioner I've noticed that each time right after I wash my hair with it, my scalp is dry and itchy... what looks like millions of tiny white 'dots' fall out when I scratch my head and shake my hair out. Nothing like this has ever happened to me before. The only thing I have changed in my hair routine was switching to the Olaplex shampoo and conditioner, and I don't use any other hair products, so I'm positive that this is being caused by the Olaplex shampoo and conditioner.

Anonymous Insider

SAME! My scalp is tender and my hair has been falling out like crazy. How long does it take for my scalp to feel normal again???? 

Hi there! 
Olaplex No.4 is very gentle and has a pH balance that has been reviewed to soothe hair. It is safe for daily use. We would love to troubleshoot further! 

Feel free to reply to our team, we want to ensure you are receiving the amazing benefits!

Good day,

This is also causing me dandruff.. I have a lot of the products but only use 4 and 5 all the time and I have used 8 a couple times.

@Olaplex  I'm 56 and I've never had trouble with my scalp!  4 months into using your products Olaplex No.0, Olaplex.8, Olaplex.6, Olaplex.3 and Olaplex.

my scalp became itchy and sore with sm pimple like bumps. Just recently my hair has started to fall out. I have used no other products on my hair since starting with your brand so that's what I googled and found that I'm not the only one that has suffered scalp issues with your product!!! Your product did make my hair feel soft but so did my old brand. 

It did nothing for my natural curls.  I've recently switched back to my old brand but can't seem to shake the scalp issue...

I am calling my Dr. As my hair is coming out.....My hair, sad face

Hi @badabrie 

The Olaplex shampoo is Sulfate Free, sometimes when we remove sulfates from shampoos (sulfates aren’t always a bad thing) our scalp doesn’t properly get cleansed. What you are describing is likely buildup and not dry scalp and dandruff. Incorporate a clarifying shampoo into your routine and i’m Confident your scalp problems will go away. 

I wish this was the issue but I’ve always used sulfate free 😞 I will don’t a clarifying shampoo and see what happens! 

I use sulfate free shampoo, and after using once  Olaplex 3 I'm having a terrible dandruff. 

@GG84 wrote:

Hi @badabrie 

The Olaplex shampoo is Sulfate Free, sometimes when we remove sulfates from shampoos (sulfates aren’t always a bad thing) our scalp doesn’t properly get cleansed. What you are describing is likely buildup and not dry scalp and dandruff. Incorporate a clarifying shampoo into your routine and i’m Confident your scalp problems will go away. 

I use a clarifying shampoo and olaplex and still have the same problem so I’m have to say it’s likely the olaplex. my hair has also been falling out like crazy and I have hardly any hair so it’s upsetting. 

3 Replies
Conversation Stats
testing