Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

Dry scalp with Olaplex shampoo?

Was wondering if anyone else’s scalp has become dry and itchy with dandruff after using the Olaplex shampoo. Never had issues with my scalp and I only wash my hair once a week, but it started to get itchy and dry a few months ago and the shampoo has been my only major change in hair routine.

Re: Dry scalp with Olaplex shampoo?

I used it once and idk if I’m allergic to something in it, but I used it per the instructions and have had extreme itchiness and scalp irritation. Like to the point it’s been hard to sleep. It’s been 2 weeks since I last used it. I’ve washed my hair with other products since and tried using different oil treatments to soothe my scalp, but it’s like the further away from the use and the more washes I’ve had since then with other products-the better.  It’s been a real pain to deal with and my scalp still doesn’t feel quite like it did pre-#olaplex. That was the only thing that changed in my routine. I wanted to love it since there were so many positive reviews, but I’ve had to trash it. 

I’m glad to have found this post as I have been distraught over the condition of my hair recently. I bought the olaplex conditioner and shampoo about a few months ago from Amazon after hearing some positive reviews from my two coworkers. I’ve always been an advocate for hair products that encourage growth and moisturizing factors as I have been a person who’s had her ups and downs with her hair forever. My hair was thick and full with minimum to no evidence of scalp dryness, dandruff, or just in general itchy and flaky skin. After using olaplex, which is the only thing that has changed in my hair routine these past couple weeks, my scalp has been relentless itchy, flaky, and scaly with a large amount of dandruff flakes in certain areas than most with the left side of my scalp towards the edges being the most affected. It’s balding in that area and my hair is so thin. I thought some anti dandruff shampoo could do the trick; but, after two uses of that, and constant itching during day and night (even asleep scratching my scalp raw), I gave up and started putting more oils (castor oil, cinnamon oil, a avocado oil, and coconut oil) in my hair and on my scalp to moisturize as much as possible and went back to using kreyol essence, Hollywood bar, and canvas beauty hair products which always left my hair nice and full. I was disappointed at the result of this because of the mental and emotional toll it’s taken on me since I really take pride in my hair; however, it’s refreshing to know that I can always start again right after I found out what the problem was (I guess whatever is in the shampoo isn’t tested enough for most people and my scalp can’t tolerate olaplex products which a few people are surprised at that since it’s such a good reviewed product when I mentioned what happened to my hair) and others have gone through the same as me. Hope this helps someone in the future as well! 

Hello, I was wondering why my scalp was itchy, I was getting dandruff and my hair was falling, something that never happened to me before, and it is since I starting using the whole olaplex line of products, I searched on google and I found a lot of complains and even a lawsuit for that reason, I’m trowing it on the trash and I hope that it is reversible, it’s unbelievable that a product so expensive can do that! #olaplex 

My scalp became very itchy after using Olaplex Purple Shampoo.  It also dried my hair terribly.  It is just not for me.

Olaplex shampoo and conditioner made my scalp a painful, itchy mess.

😞

I have had the same issue just heard on the new’s today that  Olaplex is being sued in Canada due to scalp irritation and hair loss.  I have had it all even hives on my back when I would use the product. After not using the product the Hives went away but still had hair loss and dry scalp. My daughter kept using the product and she also has the dry scalp. Just told her today to stop using the product she just purchased a brand new set that was on sale.

I joined the community to reply to this! I bought the LITER sizes of the shampoo and conditioner from c0sm0pr0f the day I quit s@lly's  because I LOVE the number 3. Luckily I got it at a HEAVILY discounted price (a combination of the professional and employee discount), or else I would be even madder. This shampoo has literally DESTROYED my scalp. I will keep using the conditioner but I will be returning to a cheap shampoo. I have used almost half of it at this point but I thought, no way olaplex would be the cause of it! My mistake *eyeroll*. So glad I found this thread because I was going to keep using it! lmao. Has anyone gone back to normal after discontinuing? I hope the conditioner is safe. ughhh.

I’m so glad I found this thread. My scalp has been flaking off incessantly and I have painful bumps all along my hairline and under my hair. This happened all of a sudden and came alongside excessive hair loss, which I initially chalked up to hormones, but now realize all symptoms coincided with starting to use the Olaplex shampoo. 

I stopped using several days ago but have had no improvement yet - did anyone find a remedy that worked? So mad I purchased this, I had just regrown the hair I lost postpartum and was feeling good again.

Used twice and developed the dandruff. Will try to put less on the scalp before discontinuing the use. Glad to find more information here. 

YES!  I just did a search to see if anyone else was having this problem.  I see that I am not the only one!  I have huge chunks of scalp that come off my head, if i scratch it.  I have never seen anything like it.  And I don't want to wash it too much, because my scalp is so dry.  On day 1, it isn't bad.  Just my scalp has red blotches on it.  They don't hurt or anything, but by Day 3, I am tearing up my scalp from the itchiness.  My hair looks GREAT, but my scalp is a mess.  I see it is common problem with this shampoo and I will have to return it.  😞  Thanks, everyone!!!!

Same here! Have never had dandruff/scalp issues and my scalp is so dry/itchy/flakey after using the shampoo for a few weeks!

Yep! Same! I recently bought the olaplex bond maintenance shampoo and conditioner. I use it once a week and now have so much dandruff and scalp build up— disgusting, but I can literally scrap up build up from my scalp with my fingernails. My scalp was pretty itchy when I first used the product but I don’t notice the itch anymore. I suspected it might be the olaplex but wasn’t sure. So, I stopped using it for a few washes, problem went away. Went back to using it, problem back. I was so excited about getting this product, switching back to Kevin Murphy. 

Yes ! My scalp is very itchy and I have got a lot of dandruff!! never using this shampoo again

Same problem!

Same problem here ! My scalp is so itchy and full of dandruff plaques . Dermatologist had to prescribe me a special shampoo. So upsetting bc I bought all the olaplex products ! 😞😞😞 waist of money 

I’m late to this chat but yes! So itchy on the sides of my head specifically. Dry dandruff/buildup all over though. Any leads on a fix? 

hi 🙂 

i just switched to olaplex as well and been having the same issue. i have dandruff/almost psoriasis and it hot way worse after using the home line. since the rest of my hair was looking super nice i stopped using the shampoo and its going back to normal now. i tested the ph of the products (scalp ph is usually between 3.5-5.5) all the products apart from the shampoo are in that range,  so i think it might be the ph balance that is offset by it. 

I kept reading it was just adjusting to the new shampoo/conditioner combo… long story short I finished the whole 8 ounces bottle and it only got worse, I am left on a scalp oil and heavily moisturizing shampoo regime now  

I have as well.  I'm 56 and I've never had trouble with my scalp!  It's itchy and will get sm pimple like bumps. This product did make my hair feel soft but did nothing for my natural curls.  I've switched back to my old brand but can't seem to shake the scalp issue. I am calling my Dr. Did anyone else out there need to see a doctor??

I've also just started using OLAPLEX products and my scalp became super itchy. I had to put a cortisone lotion to calm it down. This line didn't work for me unfortunately. 

39 Replies
Conversation Stats
testing