Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

Do you think professional/salon shampoos and conditioners are actually worth it?

Hello all!

I have been using drugstore shampoo/conditioners, nothing expensive or too fancy for pretty much my whole life. I have tried more expensive shampoos/conditioners but have never seen a significant change in my hair to fork over the extra money. It's funny because I spend a lot on styling products, but cringe for some reason over the high prices of salon shampoos! I think it's just because I want to make sure they actually do something for me. Do you all think that the higher end shampoo and conditioners are actually worth it? If so what do you like? Or what do you like from drugstores?

I have very thick, wavy, blonde hair that I wash 2-3 a week. Would love any recommendations!

Re: Do you think professional/salon shampoos and conditioners are actually worth it?

Do you have colored hair?

Salon shampoos are better for your hair.

And Nooo I'm not trying to upsell you a bottle of salon shampoo.☺️

But you are paying for high quality ph balanced that is gentle on your hair, as it wont strip too much of the natural oils from your hair and will prevent future damage or dryness. And as the price, you are helping the salon business and your stylist as you purchase the product.

Salon shampoos are more concentrated so you dont use as much compared to drugstore that are mostly watered down with some harsh chemicals.

Drugstore shampoos have very high in PH (alkaline level) which is not healthy/not good with hair as it is so harsh to our hair.

When you get your hair washed and done from a salon, does your hair always feel so soft and bouncy after?? 

(I'm a Licensed Cosmetologist) 

Re: Do you think professional/salon shampoos and conditioners are actually worth it?

@friedrice Thank you so much for the help! Yes I have colored hair- naturally blonde but have been getting lighter blonde highlights for around 10 years. Do you have a salon brand you would recommend?

And yes, my hair does always feel great after the salon 🙂 

@Shan1216 When I was still in beauty school, we  used Scruples brand on clients.

but I recommend the RedKen brand for color treated hair. This helps your color last longer and shinier. They sell this brand at Ulta, so take advantage if the store is having a sale especially with the 20%off coupons 🙂

Anonymous Insider

I think it depends on your hair type and concerns. For me, shampoo doesn't make any difference. I have thick, FULL (too much, actually) 1b (1c inside) east asian hair. Clarifying shampoos are too dry expensive or not, and any damage repair/moisturizing shampoos leave tacky feelings and I even get tiny bumps around hairline. Volumizing shampoos do nothing, because my hair's too thick/long (heavy). So, pantene? classic clean shampoo works best for me, so far. 

ON the other hand, I regularly purchase and use daily salon-grade or expensive hair masks. Keeps my hair healthy and shiny, and if I use cheaper ones, I also get tiny bumps (which is strange, since many say--and I believe--ingredients are not too different). 

I always have used and will use moroccan oil treatment (leave-in oil) because it gives all the shine without making it sticky or weighing down (other expensive ones, like ones from Kerastase didn't work like this). Smells nice& soft too...One of my friend with dark wavy blonde hair (naturally) loves it too, maybe try!

@Anonymous I've used Pantene and liked it a lot! I like what you said about hair masks, I've never really tried one though! Is there one you recommend?

I've also never tried moroccan oil treatment, that sounds great! I'll definitely check that out!

Anonymous Insider

@Shan1216My two favorites are moroccan oil moisture one (brown rim vs orange) and pink one from Amos professional (not sure if the brand is available in the U.S.). I think as long as you continuously use any "good" hair masks, your hair will thrive. I use hair mask everyday (habitual), but since I rinse them quite throughly, my hair is never greasy or weighed down. 

I have to add, although I do not feel much advantage of using higher-end shampoos, that using "real" salon shampoos can be more tricky, although they are really amazing. I tried using them at home but I couldn't be bothered, because shampooing long, thick, full hair with ph-balanced, protein-rich shampoo took so much time and effort. Also, something I liked best @Salon was rinsing my hair with some sort of sparkling water...which I'm not willing to do at home. 

Hi, @Shan1216!  I've never found salon shampoos/conditioners to be any better than drug store (non-salon) hair products.

I use Avalon Organics Scalp Treatment Tea Tree Shampoo from my health food store and Shea Moisture Restorative Conditioner from Target.

I have fine, curly/wavy blonde hair that is dry and I have an itchy scalp.  The shampoo has helped control the itchiness and the conditioner has pretty much eliminated the dryness.  I wash my hair every two to three days and let it air dry.

27 Replies
Conversation Stats
testing