Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

Dimethicone in hair products

I've been sulfate-free for about a half a decade now.  I recently read the hype about OLAPLEX - No. 6 Bond Smoother Reparative Styling Creme and Verb Ghost Weightless Hair Oil 2 oz/ 60 mL

I bought them both. I already use Olaplex No. 3 Hair Repair Perfector 3.3 oz / 100 mL

I tried olaplex 6 and loved the effect!  My otherwise frizzy, voluminous hair was sleeker, shiny, and beautiful without any heat styling. I washed my hair a couple days later and my hair felt sleek and slippery- like there was something on my hair.  Tried the Verb ghost oil and same thing.

I researched and found out that the dimethicone gives it that slippery and smooth effect because it coats the strands. So....what to do?  Keep up the beautiful effects and hopefully a sulfate-filled shampoo might remove it every now and then?  Return the products (I've got time)??  I'm not even sure if the Olaplex 3 will penetrate my hair at this point because it's coated with a non water soluble product. I'm not even sure if any of my other products would be so effective over the permanent coating the dimethicone provides.  

Advice??  

**I do not have curly hair-I have  wavy/straight hair.**

Re: Dimethicone in hair products

@l8totheparty I avoid most hydrophobic silicones, because they weigh down my fine wavy hair; my hair looks greasy more quickly and can feel filmy. While 'cones leave my hair sleeker in the short-term, they cause more frizz over time because I'm washing more frequently with sulfates to completely remove them. Some of that can be mitigated by deep conditioning after using a clarifying shampoo, but for me the hassle isn't worthwhile.

I think it's ultimately a personal decision, and one that will become clearer over time. If you continue with this routine and don't like what it's done to your hair in another month or so, you can reevaluate. If the benefits of using it outweigh the downsides, then great! 

@tastelikewater thanks for your story and feedback! I dec...

@tastelikewater thanks for your story and feedback! I decided to return the Olaplex 6, so I don't have to go through the hassle of silicone product buildup.

RE: Dimethicone in hair products

Dimethicone In hair products is pretty normal as it will give the hair moisture and slip there is a bad stereo type associated with it however i know with Olaplex specifically it is a hi grade water soluable silicone that won’t build up on the hair and is removed in the washing process. Don’t believe the negative hype associated with that because it’s simply not true.

@l8totheparty OLAPLEX - No. 6 Bond Smoother Reparative Styling Creme

contains the active, patented ingredient found in Olaplex No. 3 Hair Repair Perfector 3.3 oz / 100 mL

Any product for smoothing is going to contain dimethicone as they seal out frizz and block out humidity. You are correct that Dimethicone is not water soluble but it is SHAMPOO soluble. 

I read it washes it with shampoo that has sulfates in it? 

@l8totheparty  hi , if you tag me then I know you’ve responded. Sulphates being ‘bad’ for the hair was a marketing ploy by a major professional hair care brand years ago. That brand was purchased by a huge corporation and hence every company started pumping out sulfate free shampoos. 

SLS free shampoos leave your hair slightly dirty. This allows free radicals to attack things like your hair colour and make it fade faster. 

@GG84 I often forget to tag- I've just started on the boards and I don't use Twitter lol.

Thanks for the info!  I have read that sulfates are harsher cleansers than.  If I want to use products with dimethicone though it needs sulfate cleaners.  It's such a toss up.  But if sulphates aren't as bad as we think in hair, I'm free to use it.

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 11 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing