Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever

Difficult Hair

So I have pretty difficult hair to manage. It's very thin, flat, I don't have a lot it, with wavy/curly texture, very easily oiled scalp and dry ends. I consider myself to have "sensitive hair". Most products seem to accentuate one or more of my hair problems

Now I feel like I've tried everything but I just end up not doing anything with my hair because nothing will hold. If I leave my hair natural, what starts as nice waves/curls in the morning will just fall by lunch, if I straighten it, it waves, if I curl it any bit of disruption like a small gust of wind and I'm done for. Sometimes a product, like mousse or a texture spray will work great once and then never again even with the exact same application technique.

I'm hoping to find some suggestions on products/tools that's would work for my troublesome hair. Thank you!

Re: Difficult Hair

@KMoretto I would first find a shampoo to help you regulate your oily scalp. There are tons on the market that are made for "oily scalp" that actually end up drying your scalp which in turn causes your scalp to produce more oil. Look for key word "regulating" when choosing your next shampoo. 

In terms of your hair not holding a style - is your hair what most people would describe as soft/silky? Do you use conditioners labeled mostly as "moisturizing/hydrating"? 

I typically use, moisturizing, breakage, or colour safe shampoos/conditioners. I’ll keep an eye out for regulating shampoo’s, thanks!

No, I wouldn’t describe my natural hair as soft and silky but I would attribute that to the fact my hair is curly/wavy.

@KMorettoUnidentified

I have fine, thinning hair that's wavy/almost curly in some spots, oily at the roots and dry at the ends as well, and I adore Bumble and bumble Don't Blow It as my styler. It does a great job of defining waves and taming frizz for natural days without extra weight or looking greasy. It's some sort of magical sorcery

I'm currently on a quest myself for a workhorse shampoo/conditioner combo, but when I need a deep clean, I'm loving a combo of Matrix Biolage Clean Reset shampoo + Tigi S Factor Serious conditioner. My hair comes out like silk! The conditioner is too heavy for me to use on a regular basis, but it's an excellent deep moisture treatment after a clarifying wash. 

To keep oil under control, I use dry shampoo most nights before bed...that way I have all night to sleep off any white residue and not have to worry about it being visible. I can now squeeze three or even four days in between washings, where I used to have to shampoo daily.

You don't say how often you wash your hair, but if it does happen to be daily, try cutting back if you can...the more you wash, the oilier it's going to keep getting. And look for gentle/moisturizing shampoos, if you're not using something like that already...I had my biggest improvement in oil reduction by shifting from harsh "oily hair" stuff to gentler products. It seems counterintuitive at first, but it helped me tremendously. Discovering dry shampoo was just the icing on the cake.

I have no suggestions for heat styling products, as I don't blow dry or use any heat tools, but I hope at least some of this helps 😊

Thank you SO much for the suggestions! I'll definitely have to take a look.

I currently wash my hair every 3 days and it took me YEARS to get here. I fair on some days better than others with how much my hair greases up in between washings. I've occasionally done the dry shampoo at night but I usually need a second round in the morning so it depends on how much work I feel like putting in the night before haha

@KMoretto I'm convinced we're hair twins! I wish I had some amazing recommendations, but I'm still on the journey myself. I had success for a while with the Briogeo Curl Charisma™ Rice Amino + Avocado Leave–In Defining Creambut in general I think cream formulas are too heavy for hair like ours. My curly-haired stylist recommends foams, but of course when I buy what she uses on me, it doesn't work in the same way. It's such a struggle!

So good know I'm not the only one who can't get that same look at home! Thanks for the product insight 🙂

Conversation Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 10 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing