Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

Dandruff

Help! I’m 25 and have thick hair. Ever since I hit puberty I have been plagued with dandruff. What are some good products (shampoos, conditioners, dry shampoo)? How often should I wash my hair? Thank you!

RE: Dandruff

The dermatologist says most dandruff cases he sees are just low grade fungal infections. He always suggests Selsun Blue. The family member was hesitant at first to try it but it worked.

Re: Dandruff

@gnahig While those with normal hair and scalp can get away with washing a few times each week, those with dandruff need to wash their hair daily in order to get rid of the oil buildup. Washing daily helps stop the itching as well.

tea tree shampoo and conditioners like paul mitchell 🙂 selsun blue is really good as well but that is for really big problems of dandruff in which case you should see a dermatologist 🙂

xoxo,

anesthetician

Hi @gnahig , 

it’s important to differentiate between dandruff and dry scalp; very few people suffer from dandruff (which needs to be diagnosed by a Trichologist or Dermatologist) and most suffer from Dry Scalp. 

Without getting into too great of detail, both dandruff and dry scalp can be itchy and cause flakes; the main difference being the appearance of the flakes. Large, yellow, oily looking flakes would be dandruff. Small, flakes with no odour accompanied by dry skin elsewhere on the body would be dry scalp. You have to know which you have to know how to treat it properly. A zinc based shampoo which is normally in dandruff shampoos will irritate a dry scalp etc. 

RE: Re: Dandruff

Thank you so much for your post.
5 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 Hearts Given
  • 6 Contributors
testing