Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

Curling thick hair ๐Ÿคทโ€โ™€๏ธ

My hair is thick and wonโ€™t stay curled for more than 5 minutes. In order to get it to stay I use half a bottle of hairspray and it still falls out. Any tips??

Re: Curling thick hair ๐Ÿคทโ€โ™€๏ธ

Hi @carina2007!

I have thick hair that doesn't always hold curls.  It's interesting how after having my black hair bleached and toned silver, my hair would actually hold curls better even without styling products!

Protectant spray is super important.  I love Bumble and bumble Hairdresserโ€™s Invisible Oil Heat Protectant Leave In Conditioner Primer 8.5 oz/ 25... and use it before styling.

If you have thick, coarse hair, you can turn the heat up to 350 degrees F.  My stylist told me that the temperature should not go any higher to prevent damage.  Some people say to skip the conditioner if your hair is already smooth and silky, since smooth hair doesn't hold curls or wash your hair the day/night before instead of right before curling.

You can try using some mousse before styling and use hair spray before, during and after curling your hair.  Make sure the hair spray is dry before applying any heat to it.  For a beach wavy look, I like to use the cool setting on my hair dryer to cool and set my hair.  I then use a texturizing spray to set my curls.  Texturizing spray is lighter than hair spray so it will hold curls better without weighing them down.

RE: Curling thick hair ๐Ÿคทโ€โ™€๏ธ

Do you use the hairspray before you curl? I would use a heat protectant first and then hairspray. Also for me when my hair is dirtier it curls easier.
2 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors
testing