Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

Brassiness with highlights

I get my dark brunette hair highlighted (professionally) a few times a year (usually caramel colored or something close) and recently it has been getting very brassy in between.  I know that using purple shampoos can help, but is there anything else I can use, would like to find something that Sephora carries? Any specific brand?  

I also need help with breakage, my hair is fairly dry as well.  

Thanks for your help! 🙂  

Re: Brassiness with highlights

I would use the Redken,All soft line to help with the dryness and as for the brassiness,I would get a hair mask that pulls out the brass. I know Sally's beauty supply carries some nice ones. 😄

Hi OhSamantha,

I've been highlighting my hair for years! As you can tell my hair is naturally very dark. After the toner wears off and some time has passed, highlighted hair can look dull and brassy. You have to use products that will help maintain the color and one that will be very gentle as well.

I recommend the Alterna Caviar Anti-Aging Brightening Blonde Shampoo and Conditioner. Both are sulfate free so it will not strip your hair. After I've used this product my hair is soft, bright and manageable.

blondee.gif

blondee.gifhttp://www.sephora.com/caviar-anti-aging-brightening-blonde-shampoo-P374563?skuId=1415827

brightening blonde shampoo.gifI also suggest using a leave in gloss treatment once a week.

rita brass.jpg

❤️ Melissa

Going to second the Alterna Brightening Blonde line's shampoo and conditioner.  I've been rocking some form of bleached platinum for the past five years (from espresso brown with red natural highlights virgin hair).  There are a ton of great purple products that can help tone up your highlights, but a lot of them leave your hair feeling...a bit wanting.  Lush and Alterna make gentle blonde products that are great for mixing with the harsher stuff (like Shimmer Lights or most other popular purple brands) while protecting your hair.  

As Ann mentioned, adjust your washing routine when your highlights are in.  Bleached strands are more porous and need more time to absorb your natural oils.  ALSO! Be careful what oils you choose!  I have to be very selective since I realized my usual choice in Argan Oil (Moroccan) can darken light hair.  Stick to clear oils like coconut and colorless argan (other good oils for blondes include jojoba, castor, etc) to avoid inflicting more brassiness.  In general, don't use any product that isn't designed to lighten highlights or keep color fresh.  Anything with too much tint can muss the highlights.  

Gloss treatments can help, too.  

That's such a good point! Josie Maran has a hair oil that I think is comparable. It's clear and it does not darken hair.

http://www.sephora.com/argan-oil-hair-serum-P256603?skuId=1226760

❤️ Melissa

Another great one available at Sephora that won't impact color:  It's a little lighter weight than Josie's but just as effective.  I love this one because it doesn't impart a particularly oily look but does exactly what it says on the bottle:  Provides the sort of softness and sheen that you get from a salon.  Lovely for blondes, highlighted folk, and people with literally any hair color.

http://www.sephora.com/hairdresser-s-invisible-oil-P375391 

Love this one and definitely doesn't impact color!

You really need to go to a professional beauty supply store and tell one of the employees there, they usually always hire professionals that know how to help you with your color. I too use to highlight my hair with a reddish color mixed with my dark brown but it would always turn brassy or look like a carrot. That's just the way colors go. Try a different brand of color or maybe a different developer...if you are using professional colors.  All boxed colors are weak and won't last very long at all.

I really like Daddy-O from Lush (verrry purple pigment so you don't need tons).  I also like AG Sterling Silver Toning Shampoo and Conditioner.  These are the two that are my favorites for keeping the brassy away.  Sorry they aren't at Sephora, I haven't seen many purple treatments available here.  Maybe someone else knows differently!

Hello! I also have super dark brunette hair that I've dyed a couple times already. I haven't got any specific products I can recommend right now, but I do have a couple of tips to control the breakages.

1. Don't wash your hair every day. Maybe every month, have maybe 4-6 days (when you don't need to go out, of course!) where you don't wash your hair.  

2. Deep condition as much as you can. Maybe 4-5 days a week. Your hair is the frame to your face. Take care of it. Use a color safe conditioner. When you take a shower, first, rinse you hair a bit (try to use semi-cold water as it doesn't drain your hair color as much as hot water). Then, take some conditioner and lather your hair thoroughly. After rubbing the conditioner in for about 2 or 3 minutes, pull it up in a bun and leave it there (avoiding getting water on your hair) while you do other shower routines-- exfoliate, shave, whatever. Then after this, take your hair out of the bun, and rinse it. Also remember that water is the main culprit behind color drainage. Try not to rinse your hair excessively, but do wash out the conditioner [and shampoo, later]. After deep conditioning, shampoo your hair, and rinse. It's best to condition after shampooing, but if you feel it's not necessary, there's no need. 

3. Use honey!!! There are multiple recipes online. Honey is a very good way to keep your hair from breaking out. Try using organic honey. Look online to find some recipes-- it all depends on what your needs are. 

4. Try not to flat iron or curl your hair too much. Heat and pressure will definitely cause excessive dryness and breakage. 

Try it out! xx

9 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 8 Hearts Given
  • 7 Contributors
Photos1
  • rita brass.jpg
testing