Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

Advice for split ends?

Hi! I have REALLY long straight hair that is nice and thick and goes to my butt and I don’t want to get it trimmed just yet. My scalp is naturally super oily and I have split ends for days. I don't use heat on my hair often and wash it maybe once a week. Does anyone have products they love and recommend to repair the breakage?

Re: Advice for split ends?

@xomsa

I've tried Olaplex no. 6 and it can smooth out damaged ends. It will not bond the splits back together, those must be removed with a trim. Take note that this product can leave a bit of a residue with repeated use and a little goes a long way!

OLAPLEX - No. 6 Bond Smoother Reparative Styling Creme

RE: Re: Advice for split ends?

Do you use the entire line as well? If so, how do you like it?

Re: RE: Re: Advice for split ends?

@xomsa Olaplex might be a good option for you once you get a trim. There’s a lot of misinformation about Olaplex, so let me explain: Olaplex No.3 which is a pre- shampoo treatment contains no protein or moisture what so ever. It’s main ingredient is the active ingredient in the original Olaplex system (BPDD). This ingredient seeks out broken bonds (bonds are broken not only by chemicals and heat but by everyday stress such as sleeping on a cotton pillow, brushing your hair, wearing your hair in a tight pony etc) and re-links them back together; this prevents breakage. 

Olaplex 4 and 5 contain the same active ingredient but also contain added moisture. 

@xomsait's the only product I've tried from the brand but if you search BIC other people have had positive things to say about the other products 🙂

Hi! We recommend our Kérastase Resistance Strengthening Shampoo for Damaged Lengths and Split Ends 8.5 oz/ 250 mLand Kérastase Resistance Strengthening Conditioner for Damaged Lengths & Split Ends 6.8 oz/ 200 mLto care for long, damaged hair. Our length strengthening collection also includes a mask and serum for all of your hair care needs. Let us know how you like it!

@Kerastase That’s not going to repair her split ends, it’s going to add strength just to be clear. 

A lot of different people are going to tell you contradictory things about what to do.When it comes to fixing split ends, you can’t ever fully repair the damage that’s been done and get back to virgin hair, but you can temporarily mend the strand.

Always comb in the shower, with conditioner on, and always with a wide tooth comb because your hairis more elastic when wet, and conditioner will help the comb glide through while distributing the conditioner, without breaking the strand. Don’t towel dry like a crazy person. Blow drying can and will contribute to this problem air dry first then finish if you must with low heat.

Use a leave in conditioner and finish with a smoothing oil. 

I have many recommendations if you are interested 🙂 

I'd love all your recommendations if you don’t mind!!

Sorry I have been MIA.
Always use more than one shampoo and conditioner because hair adapts quickly and will stop giving you a good response if you don’t change it up. If your hair is on the dry side don’t completely wash out the conditioner) if you don’t have a leave in to use). If you have long hair sleeping with it up will leave your hair less tangled. Mixing a little  leave in with an oil ( like olaplex or Moroccan oil , silk therapy) will help give you a great finish 🙂 

#

@xomsa You have hair that long, down to your butt as you said, the answer is no. It’s old hair. It has been exposed to elements and damage (yes even if you don’t use heat on your hair often) your hair gets damaged on a daily basis. Your hair needs natural oils to maintain health among other things, gravity isn’t going to allow that to happen. You simply cannot repair hair that is that old, sorry. Time for a cut.  

I'll be getting a trim soon, I just hoped there was something I could do beforehand to save the length 😔

I completely agree there is no fix for split ends but regular trimming of the dead ends. Get a trim at least every four months.
13 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 13 replies
  • 17 Hearts Given
  • 7 Contributors
testing