Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Besides Beauty

Your Views on... ULTA

I dislike the customer service and coupon restrictions. Just tried a coupon that gives NEARLY everything off 20% (even UD) and it didn't work. I wanted the Marc Jacob Daisy So Fresh purse spray. (Not at Sephora) 

Another horror was me driving to one 30 minutes away and kept checking up on the limited edition OPI polishes that were out of stock. They offered to get the items and transfer them to the store. IT TOOK A F****ING MONTH. Of course I got it for free because I was b****ing and whining and probably attempted to cause a scene. I complained about the driving and their incompetence. 

God, what a nightmare. I love you Sephora. 

Re: Your Views on... ULTA

I will say that an ulta catalog just arrived for me today and on the back of it it says. "The new, prettier rewards program is almost here."  So maybe there is hope.  Smiley Wink

I saw on the facebook page not long ago that everyone was going to be converted by the end of Feb.

Silly me...If I opened my catalog before I posted I would have been able to say it says FEB 23 your account will be updated automatically.  

YES FINALLY!

I haven't ever had terrible shipping problems with Ulta, and I like that they do GWPs. The coupon restriction bothers me, but I just used one that didn't have any except for Lancome, Perricone, Clinique and Urban Decay Naked 3, so I used it on Naked 2, ABH and Smashbox. Plus I got 3 deluxe samples in store, when I spent 3x as much at Sephora and don't get 3 foil samples.

I also have the new points system, so I get the discount which is nice. I still prefer Sephora, because the website is more user friendly, and they have more brands I like. But I don't think Ulta is the red headed step child it's made out to be Smiley Very Happy

Ulta had a nice Cyber Monday cosmetic bag full of deluxe and foil samples gift with purchase, but their GWPs have not really impressed me lately. And there 20% coupons or discounts cannot be used for most of the brands I would want to buy. If there was a brick and mortar Ulta nearby, maybe I would pop in to check it out, but I don't want to drive out of my way to visit an Ulta. So there isn't much reason for me to shop there. 

I actually don't mind my local Ulta, I just don't get out there very often. I like to go there for drugstore makeup because they seem to be better at keeping the makeup unused. It's nearly impossible to find lipstick etc. at an actual drugstore around here that hasn't been used and then put back on the shelf in a gross condition. Smiley Sad They tend to have good deals in the sale section too; I always see a lot of Zoya polishes for half off.

Though like a lot of you I'm not too happy with their website layout or their shipping and I wish they would stick to a method with reliable tracking. Also I've never used any of the salon services because the yelp page for their salon is full of people saying "just go to [cheap haircut chain], they'll do a better job there" - yikes!

lol I definitely have !@#$%^&* moments with Ulta, though admittedly I continue to shop there (and have platinum membership alongside my VIB membership here!)

Dislikes:

-the shopping experience isn't as fun. You can't ask them to make samples, they never have any cool events in their stores, and the employees tend to be less friendly, and have less interest in helping out customers, compared to my usual Sephora experience.

-shipping takes For. Ever. I usually don't mind too much -- it's just when I have travel plans and I want to make sure I get my package before I leave I get irritated with how slow they are.

-shipping minimums. Like Sephora, they have a $50 requirement, but what I HATE is that the $50 requirement is even after promo codes and stuff. let's say you have $50 worth of merchandise in your cart, and you add a promo code like 20% off your order. It goes to $40. Hooray! But suddenly, they're charging you for shipping, and they say you need to spend $10 for free shipping. Ugh, I hate that!

-their rewards program. 1000 points with Sephora can get quite a few perks, don't get me wrong, but 1000 points at Ulta = $50 free to spend on any products I want at Ulta.

-platinum membership: $10 gift card for your b-day (now they're doing a full size mascara gift...in place of the gift certificate, or in addition to? not sure), 1.25x points instead of 1x points per $ spent, and sometimes they have crazy bonus point times -- sometimes for everyone, sometimes just for platinum..I've seen them go as high as 10x!! it was awesome!

-their coupons. I know they tend to have a lot of restrictions on their normal coupons, but I just use those coupons towards my everyday, non-high-end items like q-tips, hair dye, razors, shampoo, conditioner and such. *Occasionally* they do give coupons that have fewer restrictions and extend to more of the high end products, and I always jump on those. In the past month or so I bought the Too Faced chocolate bar palette with a 20% off coupon, and UD Naked palette with another 20% off coupon. (And they just sent me a 3rd one in the mail yesterday! wth, it's like they *know* I'm a sucker for things.)

-their GWP. No promo code necessary, I love that!! And usually they're better than most of the freebies offered by Sephora anyway.

Overall, I definitely prefer Sephora, but I do think Ulta offers enough perks for me to want to keep going back!

oh yeah, i hate the shipping minimum at Ulta. I like that at Sephora as long as you have $50 worth of stuff before coupons you're good to go. I always have to buy additional things at Ulta if I order online, which is annoying sometimes.

I straight up don't shop at ulta.

I just made my first online Ulta purchase last week and it looks like it will be arriving today, woo!

I am not going for Rouge at Sephora again. To be honest I think I am going to start buying everything I can get at Ulta from Ulta and saving Sephora for the exclusive items here.

I do love the Sephora promo codes and will always get them or the 100 point perks when I want to try out something new .... its my favorite way to find new products. I will probably be VIB but the extra money that would go towards Rouge will now go towards Ulta for the $$ off.

Okay, so they did resolve the overcharge issue within 24 hours, which is good.  Smiley Happy

Generally the shipping takes a bit longer.  I don't understand the point system at all, but I got a sample bag once loaded with stuff and was pretty blown away - it must have been worth a lot.  It was free with a purchase over a certain amount.

All of that said, about 85% of my orders are with Sephora (the remaining direct with manufacturers because I can't wait for something Smiley Happy or at another site).  I like the point system here, I love the samples, and I love the fact they give us the space to have these discussions.  Smiley Happy  That's where I'm learning about all of these great products! Smiley Very Happy

Might want to rethink the space to have discussions thing... a thread went bye-bye today talking about the 2 free mini's with purchase at Voldemort.

I think Ulta is trying to step thing up.  I use the Salon and get quite a few percentage off coupons for Salon services.  I got the dessert plates at holiday time.   I'm fine with the way the store operates because I don't really care for sales staff hovering.  In the one I go to, the manager has been there for a long time and has helped me out.  They did have a "party" when the Naked 3 palette came out, and they do have reps from various companies doing in-store promotions.  I'm still in the old program where they give you a choice of items based on how many points you have.  I either use mine for a haircut or cologne item.  All in all, I'm happy with Ulta.

I recently started shopping at Ulta more and I LOVE their points system! I've almost got $125 off of any purchase! I feel like earning points is really fast there because they have a lot of double/triple or more points events and you earn 1.25 points per dollar spent if you're platinum. I also can buy any drugstore makeup or toiletries there and earn points! My only problem is that I will just want to keep racking up points so that someday I can have a really huge shopping spree! How will I ever be able to stop?! lol

Unfortunately, this only works like this at some stores/areas of the country.  A good chunk of us are still on the "old" points system which is not nearly as incentivizing.  They've been saying theyre gonna swich us over for years now, and it still hasn't happened.

My catalog today says they'll be automatically updating to the new system on FEB 23!

Oh I hope so. The old system is confusing and as nebel said, not as enticing.

ah, ok, that sucks. :-/ I remember the old point system, and I can honestly say I was NOT crazy about Ulta back then!

Oh that stinks, nebel! I sure hope it happens soon, so you can get the rewards you deserve!

I don't like Ulta so much. All my in store experiences have been nothing but bad. There's one guy that was absolutely rude to me two times that I've came. First time he rung me up, I already put my phone that has the coupon by the stuff he was scanning but still ignored it and told me my total. So I picked up the phone and handed it to him, He looked at me like something was wrong and said 'oh... you have a coupon.' Second time around he was there ringing me up again and when he was handing my receipt I told him one second please so I can put away my wallet and he just slid the receipt to fall off the table and walked away... Third time I was there this gal was helping me... Took me 10 minutes to get her attention, when I did she right off the bat told me they do not carry 'sock buns' at ulta and walked away. Didn't recommend me to check online or anything. I much prefer Sephora or if I buy drugstore products, I love target. 

5 Replies