Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Besides Beauty

Your Views on... ULTA

I dislike the customer service and coupon restrictions. Just tried a coupon that gives NEARLY everything off 20% (even UD) and it didn't work. I wanted the Marc Jacob Daisy So Fresh purse spray. (Not at Sephora) 

Another horror was me driving to one 30 minutes away and kept checking up on the limited edition OPI polishes that were out of stock. They offered to get the items and transfer them to the store. IT TOOK A F****ING MONTH. Of course I got it for free because I was b****ing and whining and probably attempted to cause a scene. I complained about the driving and their incompetence. 

God, what a nightmare. I love you Sephora. 

Re: Your Views on... ULTA

If you're referring to the 20% off coupon from this week, it's not valid on fragrances. Says so in the fine print. Also excluded: Lancôme, Clinique, Perricone MD, Dermalogica, Urban Decay Naked3, Benefit Brow Bar Services and Beauty Steals.

I was trying to find the part that says fragrance. *grabs magnifying glass* 

The coupon restrictions are annoying, true. If you haven't seen it, several BT members compiled a list of the brands included in the regular 20% off coupon: http://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confessions/Coupon-Eligible-Items-at-Ulta-Your-Favs/m-p/93944...

Personally, I love Ulta. Their points system is great!  I have gotten some really great palettes for near-nothing, just from using my points! They have awesome sales and gifts with purchase. They always have coupons for $3.50 off $10.00, $5.00 off of $15.00-even though that doesn't include prestige brands-I can always find SOMETHING to use my coupons on. Smiley Happy As far as the 20%  off coupons, I wait for the ones that DO include prestige brands to make those types of purchases, and I use the regular 20% off coupons for other things I need. Smiley Happy I wish Sephora had a similar points system, instead of PERKS, ugh. I also bought my Clarisonic Mia 2 at Ulta, using my 20% off coupon and my points. Instead of paying $150.00, it cost $100.00. I love Ulta! Smiley Happy

Oh, and I've always gotten wonderful customer service from Ulta, both in-store and online. Smiley Happy

I really wish they would hurry up and get everyone on the same points system - the one I have at Ulta is a "perks" thing and the pre-selected "gifts" are junk I would never use. I wind up picking semi-useful stuff and donating it to my local rescue mission. 

I agree...we have the pre-selected gifts one.  I can never understand how everyone loves their program...but they must be on the other system.  

Personally, I seriously love Ulta. I redeemed $250.00 in points in the last 2 months while using the 20% off  prestige coupons. Ulta is closer to me than Sephora with better parking. Their shipping has also gotten faster. I'm used to couponing so I'm pretty good about reading fine print and restrictions so it doesn't bother me that much. Some prestige coupons exclude fragrances and some don't depending on which one they release. Their weekly coupons always exclude "prestige" items. Ulta can also give you the best deals on drugstore products! While an item is on sale, you can use their weekly coupon and manufacturer coupons. Every experience isn't always great in store but that has more to deal with workers. It works for me and I'm happy with it. Over the holidays, I got a ton of makeup bags filled with both deluxe and foil samples for spending 40+. They also have a lot of the hair stuff I use (Hot Tools, Macadamia line, Joico, Living Proof, Paul Mitchell, It' a 10). Their twice a year beauty event is cool too. I get a ton of deluxe samples during that time while also getting great deals. Everyday there is a beauty steal and the last event, I must have purchased half of the items at least?

I feel like the Ulta rewards program has treated me better than Rouge. All I've gotten from the Rouge program is a mirror... By the time I received the email about the Dior Rouge Lipstick perk, it was OOS and it was only an hour or so after  I got the email? Yeah. Disappointing. I was soooo excited when I saw the email. I also had one of the worst retail experiences of my life at Sephora. Sadly it was the one closest to me so I don't shop in-store as often anymore. I've gotten great service at most Sephora's (other than the one closest to me and usually the one near me is okay but that crappy experience has ruined shopping at that particular location).

They really need to up their game with in-store staffing though. I've never had a problem with online though. I've sent 5+ email tickets regarding points in the last 6 months and I always got a response within 24 hours.  

I don't love the long shipping times - it usually takes an Ulta order four times as long to reach me as Sephora. (Sephora often reaches me overnight.)  I don't love their rewards program - people say it's great, but mine always says something like "Your points: #. Your redeemable points: 0."  But that hasn't mattered much until recently, because until recently I've almost exclusively shopped at Sephora.  I don't like coupon restrictions, and I don't have an Ulta nearby.

However, in the last month, I have received two 20 percent off coupons from Ulta with virtually no exclusions.  I mean, it was like, "No Naked 3, no fragrance, no Perricone" and less than a handful of other things.  So yeah - I can wait longer for that delivery when it's 20% off.  I wait longer with Sephora during their once-a-year 20% off sale, too. Smiley Happy

I prefer Sephora's brand, customer service, shipping, and products.  But if Ulta is going to give me 20% off on the regular - with virtually no exclusions - I'm going to spend more money at Ulta.

I don't mind waiting for Ulta's delivery, I used my points at the beginning of the month for $125.00 off a purchase.  They don't have silly limits on Black Friday items, I needed 10 of the Art of Shaving kits for all my nephews and the Sephora limit was 2 so I got the rest at Ulta along with a lot of other stocking stuffers and what not.  The Sephora point perks are getting smaller and smaller, down to 3 samples for 500 points.  I'm back to giving Ulta most of my money, I was tempted last year by Rouge but I've regained my senses now.

I have only ordered from them a couple of times.  Yes shipping is slow and I don't usually get a notice when they ship so it's sort of a surprise when items show up.  I happened to place an order with them yesterday and was overcharged (was charged for a promotional item that was supposed to be free).  I sent an email right away when I saw the error - will let you know how they address it.

Had a few bumps in the road yesterday overall, and getting overcharged really got to me for some reason.  I'm sure it was just some software glitch or whatever, but makes me feel like I need to be adding up my cart every time with a calculator before making purchases.  Smiley Sad

The other orders went smoothly though. 

I personally can't stand Ulta as their customer service is horrible at the store in my area and I hate how their website operates so I generally avoid it at all costs. I've only bought maybe three things out of there in the past year, and one of them was because Sephora's 'Find in Store' option messed up and told me something was sold out when it most definitely wasn't. 

I've never actually been to an Ulta, I don't think there is one in my area. I've just always bought from Sephora, and I've heard bad shipping experiences so I'm not going to order from them online unless there's a really awesome deal.

I like Ulta and generally have good experiences there.  Like Syd mentioned shipping is slow and they don't always notify you when they ship though.  With my last order I received an extra deluxe sized sample so that was a nice surprise.  

As for the salon, I had gel nails done the other day and they started peeling up after just 3 days!  I had redeemed 500 points to have it done and when I went in to gripe they offered to redo them for free or refund my points.  I chose to get my points and had to call CS to do it - she was very nice about it and refunded them immediately.

I like Ulta.  With the points you accumulate from purchases you can save a lot of money on prestige brands.

The coupons often exclude prestige brands, but the accumulated points you can use on the prestige.  

With the points I have earned, I have gotten a full set of Too Faced brushes for free.  

One of the best deals ever was when I was able to use a 20% coupon, and my points to take the price of the Clarisonic Pedi (regularly priced $200) down to $80.

I have only shopped in store, not online with them.

I very rarely shop there any more, usually just for drugstore makeup or brands that Sephora doesn't carry- although I am more likely to order them off beautydotcom at this point.

Their customer service, both in store and online are terrible. None of the SA's know anything about their products. And I am endlessly frustrated the times I try to place online orders- the GWPs and promo codes very frequently do not apply properly. Not to mention, the two times I have received orders from them, the packaging was absolutely terrible.

I'm among the few here who have had positive experiences at ULTA. The SA's are always friendly and helpful (even if they can be ignorant of what their store actually carries, they always scurry to find someone there who does know). They are always giving me free foils or deluxe samples at checkout, without asking, and I'm a fan of how often they have all-inclusive 20% off sales. Yeah, many of the monthly 20% off sales do exclude prestige skincare and fragrance, but I am actually able to hold off my purchases until the sale covers everything.

As for online shopping, I think though they take longer than some places, it's way faster than HauteLook, so it's all relative.

Maybe my store doesn't do it, but I've NEVER gotten a sample at Ulta. I've never ordered online so I can't speak to that experience.

Ulta never gives me samples either, I've been to two of them near my hometown. I've even asked "Do you offer samples, like Sephora does?". I received a response of "No, we pride ourselves on product knowledge, so we don't have to waste time with samples". Say what?

"No, we pride ourselves on product knowledge, so we don't have to waste time with samples". 

Even if that were true, that statement sounds defensive and not very client-centric. I'd rather just have someone say flat out "No." then something that makes me suddenly want to challenge said "product knowledge". 

139 Replies