Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Besides Beauty

When Did You First Get into Makeup?

I'm curious, most of you guys here have TONS of knowledge, so I'm wondering, how long have you been at this?  Have you been picking out lipsticks since you were 13?  Did you discover it in college?  Did a desire to look nice in your post-college interviews drive you to finding makeup?

For me it's been much more recent.  I never really considered myself a girly girl but I was always kind of fascinated by makeup and people who used it really effectively.  But it was only like 2 months ago (and I am almost 31 so I've gone a long time with just the occasional tinted lipgloss) that I got over my anxiety about doing it wrong and started wearing it.  And omg I am having so much fun.

How bout you?  Where did your makeup journey start?

Re: When Did You First Get into Makeup?

I was 13.  I wanted to look older (I was much more baby-faced than my friends) so I swiped some brown shadow on my lids one day and got so many compliments that I decided I was onto something! 

From there I went onto foundation to cover up acne and started experimenting with other colors of shadows.  I think by 14 I was wearing the whole nine yards (eyeliner, lipstick, etc..)

My makeup journey started from about the time I could walk!  My mom always had tons of Clinique products around the house and she has always been into makeup.  I've always played with her products and have always been mesmerized by all the colors and packaging.  I really started applying makeup when I was 12.  Just a little bit of lighter shadow and some lip gloss.  I really got into it in Jr. High.  That's when I started wearing foundation, eye liner, and blush/bronzer.  To this day I still feel like I learn something new about makeup daily.  I have grown a great deal in the last few years when it comes to applying it different ways with different brushes.  I hope to have little girls someday that are into it as much as I am.  I'm glad my mom was there to teach me about the basics so I didn't look like a clown when I first started wearing it.

I think I was 12 when I first put on makeup.  I snuck into my mom's bathroom and put some mascara on.  It's hilarious to think about now, but the difference was so dramatic I remember thinking I looked like Pam Anderson LOL!  Obviously not below the neck (and not above the neck either!) but she always wears that dramatic eye makeup and I was intrigued by it haha.

After that, I bought my own mascara, then I started to wear a bit of eyeliner.  I found out I had vitiligo when I was 14, so I started wearing foundation at that time to cover the white patches.  Now that I've been avoiding the sun like mad, I'm pale enough that you can't tell I have it at all, which is comforting for me.

Makeup is so much fun, and no one should let a fear or "doing it wrong" stop them from experimenting with it!  I know that's something that stands in the way for a LOT of people, and I often hear someone say that they don't wear makeup because no one taught them how to apply it.  Having a makeup mentor can be awesome, but it's not a requirement!  If you're interested in improving your application skills, watch videos, look at pictures and tutorials, and practice - but always have fun and enjoy what you're doing with cosmetics!  

I was 48. Smiley Happy I never really wore much of anything (although I had some bare minerals foundation) until after my dad passed away last year.  I had to do something because my eyes looked so bad, and it's just expanded from there.

That's not to say I didn't own or ever wear makeup before that.  My mom made me get makeup in high school.  I wore it some and would play around a bit in college, but not often (or well).  And I had makeup for my wedding, but a friend put it on for me (and then my mom did it for a second party) but I never really wore it or learned how to wear it.  I did have decent brushes and the shadows are still good (having hardly been touched in almost 12 years).  My mom made me wear makeup for my sisters' weddings and she put her stuff on me.

My early makeup experiences weren't great.  It's much more fun to be experimenting now.  (I still rarely wear foundation, however.)

I started getting into makeup when I was 13 years old. Although that wasn't THAT long ago makeup has certainly come a long long way from the time that I was younger.

As I grew I was able to fine tune my skills mostly by mimicking looks I found in magazines and on TV. This was long before youtube gurus!

Whimsically yours,
Janine

Mine was about 12 with the Bonnie Bell lipsmackers  I thought they were the best grown up things ever so when we went to the store I was always sure to grab more but my favorite one of all was the Dr. Pepper one. Once beauty is in your blood I guess it runs pretty deep look where we all our right now. ^.^

I remember those!  They tasted so good!

I started getting into makeup maybe around 14/15? All because of my mom of course. Haha. The first time she took me into Sephora was the day I became addicted! That was also the time when I knew I wanted to work in the Beauty Industry when I got older. So now here I am 4 years later slowly finding my way into the industry.

I started wearing makeup over 30 years ago when I was 12.  I saved a little money and secretly bought foundation, blush, brown eyeshadow, mascara, and roller-ball lip gloss that tasted like strawberries!  I would put it on when I got to school and take it off before I got home!  I was probably 14 when I was officially allowed to wear makeup.  My mother only wore powder and lipstick. So I had to read magazines (Seventeen), talk to older cousins, and experiment to learn how to apply makeup.   

Makeup has drastically improved over the last 30 years.  Companies now provide formulas for many skin types and colors in many textures from creams, liquids, and powders from light to heavy.  It's almost mind-blowing!  The industry has also recognized that there are some ingredients that aid in application but are not beneficial to the skin and have worked to find suitable alternatives.

And skincare.......it is now high-tech!  My makeup journey has evolved just as the industry has evolved.  As I'm aging, I'm also learning that in regards to makeup, less is more.....so the journey continues.....

So glad I'm not the only one who would sneak some makeup onto my face when I was out of the house.

Haha... Umm last fall? When I was 24... I work downtown and would always look at these amazing flawless looking professionals and wanted to look just like them! I still don't but if I can save more money maybe I will! PUAHAHAHHAHA 

Grandma+, thank you.

I remember it like it was yesterday. My grandmother gave me my first lipstick; Avon- Buttered Rum. I was about 15..maybe 16. I was so excited. my grandmother was always glammed up. She wore the most beautiful pearl earrings that I loved so much. When she passed, she left them for me. I haven't worn them...but they are safe in my jewelry box. I think i'll cry too much. Anywho, buttered rum started my obsession with makeup and oh, Vixen by Revlon started my semi-obsession with nail polish. Man, those were the days..

Hi Meg82,

I first got into make up in high school (around 15). I worked at my first make up counter when I was 18 and I kept working for different types of brands. I love the artistry part of it and also trying out new products! I think my first make up item was a plum lipstick, that should have not been recommended to me by the person at the counter (it was sooo dark).

<3 Melissa

So hard to remember. I know in HS , i always wore the loose CG powder and mascara. and i had a loreal true match for special occasions, maybe 14/15. But it wasn't until late college that i really started getting into it. 

I first got into makeup in jr. high and it was only foundation to hide my horrible acne ridden face.  I had no clue what I was doing, and it was more of a mask than anything else.  

Fast forward many years and for my wedding I decided I was going to get "special" makeup.  I went to the clinique counter at a department store and had the sales associate make me up.  I bought almost everything she put on me and used it for my wedding (with the help of my makeup savvy friend).  

I just found out about a year ago (why didn't he tell me sooner!) that my husband loves when I wear eye makeup.  So for the past year I have been getting pretty proficient at different eye looks and I am having fun doing it.  

So long story short:  my make up journey started out as what I thought was a necessity (to cover undesirables) and has blossomed into a path of fun creating little works of art.

I was curious about makeup in middle school, but my friends were guys who were used to seeing me a certain way.  Wearing a dress to a dance or a clear lip gloss always resulted in stares and the guys asking why I was wearing lip gloss.  It was the same in high school -- I was a high school athlete in a co-ed sport with lots of guy friends, and wearing makeup would not have meshed with the image I had at the time.

My curiosity about cosmetics didn't really reemerge until after college, when I was looking for a way to age up my look for the professional world.  Eventually I got addicted to playing around with colors and finishes and the way I could change my look from day to day.  It was also rather freeing to be able to try out something so feminine after feeling rather stuck in my "tomboy" label for so long.  I dipped my toe in with lipsticks -- the most natural, inoffensive shade I could find -- and never looked back.  These days I'm all about the bold lip and an illuminating foundation (a beauty staple I didn't even know existed back in high school).

So sweet!!  Glad you are having fun with your makeup.

I have been into makeup for as long as I can remember.  When I was a toddler, I loved watching my mom put on her Mearle Norman foundation (love that smell still) and fusiasia lipstick And watching her take it off at night with cold cream.  My grandmother used Jergens face cream, face powder in a gold container with a powder puff, and mascara.  My Gran had a drawer full of makeup, mostly Mabelline.  Grandma, my great-grandmother, always wore lipsticks that ranged from red-orange to bright orange to coral.  In preschool I had play makeup and put it on anyone who would let me, all 12 colors of eyeshadow, 6 shades of lipstick, and 3 shades of blush at once!!!  My mom would crimp my side pony and curl and tease my bangs and in kindergarten we got a topsy tail.

In 4th grade my mom started selling Mary Kay (she still does) and that is where most of my knowledge of makeup came from.  I became very interested in skin care.  I also would swipe lipstick and mascara and put them on at school and church.  I thought I was so clever.... I also started using Vaseline to smooth down my leg hairs so I looked like I shaved already and then would swipe foundation a bit darker than my skin and mix it with lotion so I would look darker.  I'm sure I looked ridiculous, but I do still use that foundation/lotion trick!!!  I started wearing makeup in 7th grade and got even more interested in skin care in 8th when I began my horrible-acne-super-sensitive-allergic-to-everything-combination skin phase.  Then in high school I began doing theatrical makeup and dyeing my own hair.  In college, I made money by doing makeup for girls going out, coloring girls hair, and cutting guys hair.  I have researched so many products, read so many beauty magazines, watched so many YouTube tutorials, and read cosmetology text books for fun.  I just love it!!  Now I get to be a makeup artist and spend the rest of the days home with my kids Smiley Happy.  My daughter, at 2 1/2 yrs, is so much like me.  She loves watching me do my hair and makeup.  Any time we can't find her, we check my bathroom first, and almost always find her with a full face of makeup!!!  She also LOVES painting her nails!!!!!

Mine began when I started college when I was 19. Now I'm 21 so its been almost a good 2 years since I started. I love it.

Mine started just this May 2013. I'm 21. So yea, I'm basically trying to build a collection from scratch. lol.

I think I started when I was 19, like when I was a sophomore in college. I mainly started using foundation to cover my acne and acne scars and to make my face less red. Now, I just use concealer and the occasional lip tint and lipstick. I usually stay away from eye makeup because I tend to rub my eyes. I think my main concern has always been skincare though. Great question!

I can remember loving makeup as early as middle school, but I never got into anything more than what was in the drugstore because I grew up in rural OK. I remember using CG foundation and Lipsmackers a lot, haha! I wore Merle Norman in HS- that was my first non-drugstore experience. In college, I moved to "the city" where there were many more options and I got hooked on Bare Minerals. Loved experimenting with all the different colors of eyeshadow. Up until this past October (2012) at age 26, I never veered from the Bare Minerals or tried to build a makeup collection. Now I am addicted and loving trying new brands and products! I still don't totally know what I'm doing but I am having a blast figuring out what looks/works good and what doesn't! It's brought out a new confidence in me that I lost touch with over the years. :-)

I started using Max Factor foundation, clear mascara, and tinted lip balm in 5th grade (@ age 12). I didn't become obsessed with makeup until I entered myself into a Miss. Maryland Teen USA contest when I was 15.... I received a MAC makeover, and I was hooked! Now it's hard to imagine life without makeup (even the natural kind) so I never go anywhere without the basics- primers, tinted moisturizer, concealer, mascara, blush/lip stick.... and on days I have extra time, highlighters, bronzers, shadows, eyebrow pencil, eyeliner and lip stick/gloss.

Middle school probably.  But I would always watch my mom do full faced make up for work. She worked at a 5 star resort in the Bistro so it was mandatory to be glitzy and glamorous! 

I started to wear very basic makeup in college but not every day. I really started to love it about a year ago? I never considered myself to be a very girly girl but now I'm kind of a beauty addict!

34 Replies
Conversation Stats