Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

What scares you?

With Halloween almost here, what scares you? Or do you have a phobia? Have you done or attempted anything to overcome your fear?

I have bathmophobia (fear of stairs). I have no problem at the bottom but looking down from the top is another story. Also related is escalaphobia (fear of escalators) which is even worse because it's moving stairs. I don't know where this fear came from but I read that if you have some weird fear (my mom is terrified of being buried alive), it's because that's how you died in a past life.

Re: What scares you?

@Mellmars1185  I think that's a healthy fear. A few years ago, I unknowingly picked up a hitchhiking bed bug during a store visit or bus ride. I didn't notice it until I was home and saw it crawling on my purse. After killing it, I threw everything I'd worn and carried that day into a big zip-top bag (later ran all washable items through a hot laundry cycle) and immediately tore my apartment apart looking for signs of others. I barely slept that night. I woke up in the morning with a little constellation of bumps on one wrist: apparently a delayed reaction to that bug's bites from the previous day. A pest control visit confirmed there was no infestation, and I never woke up with obvious bug bite patterns on my body again. 

But ever since, I've dismantled the beds and sofas (and anything with removable cushions) of any hotel I've stayed at before settling in, convinced that no bed bugs shared my room. I'd pry headboards off walls if I could, to thoroughly check behind them. 

In addition to the badness of bed bug infestation, I'm one of those "lucky" people who don't itch when bitten by the little jerks. When I saw all those bites on my wrist, I spent a few minutes in denial because they didn't itch at all. So the only way I'll know if I was bitten, aside from obvious signs of infestation, is seeing or feeling another series of little bumps on my skin. 

@WinglessOne Wow good thing you noticed it and took all the right steps to make sure you didn't get invaded. I learned on the show you can also get rid of them with heat and there are specially trained dogs to verify whether or not they are present. The heat removal is expensive but effective. This show was very eye opening!

@Mellmars1185  Whenever someone talks about bed bugs I immediately get itchy.  I have never experienced them but am positive i know what it’s like!  😂

@heartsmyface After I watched that show that is how I felt....also paranoia. I also have not had but have seen how devastating they can be and how fast they can spread.

I have/had so many weird fears it's ridiculous 😆.  Some are random little things that just kind of give me minor panic, like creepy dolls, white noise, mirrors, dark water, and wide open spaces like a large lake or prairie. But some are more serious.  Chronic nightmares about heights and bugs.  I'd be so full of terror I'd hurt myself trying to get a butterfly off of me😅.  On a roof, I'd get vertigo and nearly fall off.  

Eventually realized those fears were crippling and had to go.  Started studying bugs and spiders, and now I'm a crazy bug lady🤣.  Started going into caves to get over my fear of tight spaces and the dark.  Now I love caving and dread the day I'm too broken down to make it down there anymore.  Started climbing and rappelling to get over my fear of heights.  Oh, sorry, you were probably expecting another love story about how I can't get enough heights now.  Yeah, no.  Still working on that one, lol.  And yeah, I still have the occasional nightmare about heights, usually really weird surreal ones that could never really happen.  Like rooftops on building that are taller than the clouds😆

@CaveCrystal   Dark water!   Hahaha, so the last place we lived was on the water and normally we’d just get the odd school of jelly fish and we wore wetsuits so all was fine.

I was swimming with four friends one day and we were all goofing around and I felt something brush against my legs, so I quickly assessed who it was that was messing with me and everyone was above the water so I was like ‘What was that?’  Our group jokester was like ‘whaaat?’ With a big smile on his face so I immediately suspected him.  
Then this huge sea otter popped up beside my head and I screamed and flailed out of the water so fast! 
I’ll still swim in dark water but I am constantly wondering what’s under me now. 

@CaveCrystal  You're really brave- great idea to just "do" your fears.  I have had repeats of almost the same dream through the years- I'm on a narrow strip of land or some vehicle, etc., and water rises around me and almost covers me.  I think I've had those when feeling particularly overwhelmed; I never had them otherwise (or for a few years.) 

I wonder if your hieght dreams are similar.

@CaveCrystal Good for you for tackling your fears!

Awesome. Giant spiders that float in the air once they've hatched.

Screenshot 2022-03-06 at 00-37-05 Beware the joro spider Scientists say the giant, but harmless, arachnid is spreading.png

Screenshot 2022-03-06 at 00-35-18 Beware the joro spider Scientists say the giant, but harmless, arachnid is spreading.png

@Ispend2much6  Nope nope nope nope nope!   If I saw that spider one of us wouldn’t make it.  

@heartsmyface  We actually have some similar spiders that appear late summer/fall.  Huge, huge webs, very decorative, but they mind their own business.  Hope these do too.

@Ispend2much6 I have issues with speed (either cars or bikes) and vertigo (I don't like stairs and high points for this reason).

Oh no @Skunk12puzzola I’m so sorry.  I have had vertigo lately a little bit too! 😫 Oof it’s just awful. I find that sitting upright and looking straight ahead at the tv or computer screen really helps me. I do have neck issues tho so I’m sure I’m susceptible to it. Good info too thank you @heartsmyface @Ispend2much6 ! 

@Sunnysmom  Is it allergy season for you?  Our daffodils and tulip trees are blooming, and the trees started budding a week or 2 ago.  So early!  I know allergies can cause vertigo too.  My eyes are already itchy.

I gave up trying to understand the TENS unit directions.  None of the cords were labeled, and I didn't want to electrocute myself.  lol  Hubby was able to figure it out but I reminded him to make sure the unit is turned off when taking the pads on and off.  That could be another issue.

I think it always is here @Ispend2much6 lol ugh. My eyes have been crummy for past month. I do think I get it as the pressure changes too and allergy season. And I spun around one night and bam. I have yet to buy my TENS unit! I’ll have to remember to have my PT pal help me if so. I’d love to say the hubs could help out but I’m sure I’d only frustrate him more!  I’m sure it’ll be way over my head! 

@Skunk12puzzola. I understand I've had very long bouts of vertigo it can be debilitating. Have you found anything to help?

@Ispend2much6 @Skunk12puzzola  Okay this might be helpful for both of you.  I was just looking into vagus nerve stretches and stimulation to reduce anxiety and read a snippet on how tight neck muscles and a pinched nerve in the back of the neck can cause vertigo and dizziness.  
If you don’t have any pre-existing neck or head injuries you can do quick easy exercises to loosen and stimulate the vagus nerve and loosen your neck muscles with the added bonus of also improving your posture.  Tight neck muscles are also thought to induce anxiety cause our lizard brains don’t care why our neck muscles are tight and only sense that we’re tensed up and respond to our physical state.  
There are lots of articles and videos on how to reset your vagus nerve in the case of dizziness or anxiety.  It’s been really helpful for me:) 

@heartsmyface Thanks for the infos...I'm a nurse, so I know the vagus nerve well, and I also have low blood pressure. But my issue is mainly psychological, in the sense that if I feel that I can't do it, I won't....in some places the issue is non-existent, and in others it's debilitating....🤷‍♀️

@heartsmyface. That makes a lot of sense thanks! A couple of weeks ago I would get vertigo just from bending my head forward by sitting.

Maybe my TENS unit will help.

@Ispend2much6 absolutely nothing!! 🥺 my family told me when I was a kid that probably I would likely grow out of it with age, which is kind of true, because now I can go to our balcony without much issues, and I can do some stairs (like 1/2 floors then I start to panic)...but overall, the problem is still there, and I'm 28 soooo.....probably I just have to live with it 🤷‍♀️

@Skunk12puzzola. I'm so sorry. I know someone who would do exercises that helped

There is one where you lie on your stomach on your bed and let your head hang over the edge that helped this person. Everyone is different though.

153 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos14
  • upload_7602801869890266912.jpg
  • tumblr_inline_nbho4tHc571qlt0ws.gif
  • tumblr_inline_n971efVftZ1qazf3y.gif
  • tumblr_inline_mygtczQ1mA1r3zat8.gif
  • C9766483-9DF9-486F-8E72-871312018EBF.jpeg
  • 8197131D-90C7-41B9-A6C9-9FCD9C8E8A55.jpeg
  • 1603295177159.jpg
  • EEFD7E60-016E-4FF5-953B-82FEBE52F781.jpeg
  • luna road.jpg
  • luna basil 1.jpg
  • luna basil 2.jpg
  • IMG_20210607_092612030.jpg
  • Screenshot 2022-03-06 at 00-37-05 Beware the joro spider Scientists say the giant, but harmless, arachnid is spreading.png
  • Screenshot 2022-03-06 at 00-35-18 Beware the joro spider Scientists say the giant, but harmless, arachnid is spreading.png
testing