cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

What's on your plate?

Hello there, ladies and gents!

Keeping in line with all the fun and interactive threads asking about your most recent halls, items you have your eyes on, what you're currently wearing, what's your hair routine, and more, I've decide to branch out and ask:

"What's on your plate?"

The beauty world doesn't just stop at skin care and cosmetics, it also goes hand in hand with your overall health and well-being, so with that, I'm curious to see what we're all chowing down and snacking on be it for breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert, or inbetween!

For those with apps that help count calories or to those who just want to keep a log, here's a place to share, possibly find and share some recipes, and even tips on maintaining a balanced diet.

Don't just share food items, but even drinks! I'm a huge fan of tea and at least have a cup of green tea a day (anti-oxidants) and drink plenty of water.

For lunch today, I had:

-Brown rice

-Steamed egg

-Steamed red snapper with green onion, sesame oil, and black pepper

-Gai lan (it's a type of Chinese vegetable/greens)

Now, tell me, Beauty Talk world, what do you have? 😄

Re: What's on your plate?

@CynthieLu  Thanks!  I wish I had his metabolism.

IMG_3644.jpeg

I had a lot of leftover rice and some seafood sitting in my freezer, so I made sushi bake for dinner today.

I sautéed some shrimp quickly with some sesame oil and Japanese chilli powder (togarashi) before mixing them in sriracha mayo (I usually do wasabi mayo, but I didn’t have any today). I made a shrimp broth from the shells of the shrimp and mixed in a little soy sauce and sesame oil before letting it reduce down. I mixed the broth with my day-old rice and some crushed up seaweed sheets (usually I use Japanese rice seasoning or furikake, but also missing from the pantry) I put the rice on the bottom, then the shrimp, then a few salmon fillets marinated in soy sauce, lemon, and covered with a thin layer of kewpie mayo (could totally sub in North American mayo) to keep it from drying out. Bake, covered @ 400F for 20 minutes, then uncover and broil for a few minutes just to caramelize the top. Scoop out a little bit of everything and serve on a sheet of seaweed (nori sheets work fine but I find the Korean seaweed snacks are less effort since they’re already small).

It’s always a hit at parties and easy to customize. Use whatever seafood you like! Imitation crab meat gives it a California role vibe or layer sushi grade salmon on top after cooking for something that resembles nigiri. 🍣 

Mmmm, a sushi bake sounds delicious @JoSometimes! 😋 Love that you made your own shrimp broth. 

Thank you @itsfi! I learned a whole lot from the Food Network when the world paused during the pandemic. 

There were some great opportunities to be had or created during such a challenging and changing time @JoSometimes! Love The Food Network! So many things to learn! Do you have a favorite or go to program / show from TFN?

@itsfi Oh, I definitely beat The Food Network and HGTV during the pandemic. After a few months, I managed to get through their entire programming cycle, at least for the shows I enjoyed watching. I like watching Guy’s Grocery Games on TFN. I like seeing them create amazing meals with either an entire grocery store or hardly anything at all, depending on what game they played. I learned about all kinds of substitutions, ingredients that could pair together, and cooking techniques. I also liked The Wall. Similar games but they’re all home cooks and the judges are selected from a wall of professional chefs. I ALMOST applied to participate but I chickened out. Still need to hone my skills a little more and get a few more solid recipes down.

How about you? Any favourites?

@JoSometimes that looks delicious, enjoy

Thank you @CorgiMommy! It was very delicious. I’m looking forward to having leftovers later today. 😋

@JoSometimes This looks delicious. What a great meal idea!

@Mellmars1185 It’s pretty delicious. It’s almost like taco night but asian/Hawaiian cuisine.

I could see that being a hit, it's sooo delicious looking @JoSometimes. After reading all those yummy steps I'm sure it is. 😊 Your dinner looks fabulous. 

Yes to everything you said, imaging it with the sushi grade on top, yuummm! 

@CynthieLu I’ve yet to try this with raw salmon myself. Smoked salmon is another good alternative if you’re into that flavour and it’s much easier to come by. 

I do love the flavor of smoked salmon 🤩 @JoSometimes everything you described sounds auh-mazing!

If you ever give it a try, I’d love to hear your thoughts @CynthieLu!

@JoSometimes  That looks delicious, and very gourmet!  You are one busy person- can you send me some of your energy?

@Ispend2much6 Energy… I feel I’m usually lacking in that area. Thank you for your kind words. 😊

This is actually really quick to make! It could be made quicker depending on the seafood you use. Pre-cooked shrimp and artificial crab would mean just tossing them into a baking tray with the rice, no need to cook them first. Same with using pre-made broth like Campbell’s. I just like getting a little extra flavour on the shrimp and coaxing out more flavour out of the shells by making the broth.

An easy side dish using garden veggies- marinated cucumbers and tomatoes.

4B4C24E8-5C75-443D-8B26-73027CA888BC.jpeg

@Ispend2much6 a summer favorite or mine too

Fresh veggies really make the difference.

Your side dish looks so fresh and delightful @Ispend2much6 🙂

@CynthieLu  Thanks! I love easy dishes.

10,829 Replies
testing