cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

What's on your plate?

Hello there, ladies and gents!

Keeping in line with all the fun and interactive threads asking about your most recent halls, items you have your eyes on, what you're currently wearing, what's your hair routine, and more, I've decide to branch out and ask:

"What's on your plate?"

The beauty world doesn't just stop at skin care and cosmetics, it also goes hand in hand with your overall health and well-being, so with that, I'm curious to see what we're all chowing down and snacking on be it for breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert, or inbetween!

For those with apps that help count calories or to those who just want to keep a log, here's a place to share, possibly find and share some recipes, and even tips on maintaining a balanced diet.

Don't just share food items, but even drinks! I'm a huge fan of tea and at least have a cup of green tea a day (anti-oxidants) and drink plenty of water.

For lunch today, I had:

-Brown rice

-Steamed egg

-Steamed red snapper with green onion, sesame oil, and black pepper

-Gai lan (it's a type of Chinese vegetable/greens)

Now, tell me, Beauty Talk world, what do you have? 😄

Re: What's on your plate?

Ahhhh @WinglessOne, jook (congee) is the ultimate comfort food for me. ♥️ Reminds me of my childhood (heck, brings back memories as an adult too). Even more so with the pork bone. 

Oh, gai pan; one of my favorite veggies. Add a little hot mustard on the side and I’m all good! 😋 

@itsfi  There’s just something so comforting about it, right? I wish I had the patience required to make it (and any other version of rice porridge) at home more often. I do have the patience to cook gai lan, even with the prep needed, but I haven’t felt like cooking much of anything from scratch for a few days. 

It’s wonderful when a dish brings back good childhood (or adulthood) memories. 🙂 My main childhood memory jogger is apple pancakes (just like blueberry pancakes, but with granny smith apple slices inside instead); my mother used to make them every weekend, and they’re still one of my favorite foods to make and eat. 

@WinglessOne This looks so good and definitely my kind of comfort food too! Congee is pretty easy to make but requires much patience and constant stirring. You really have to babysit it or it burns so quickly. 

@JoSometimes  Yep, the reason I don’t often make congee (or any other version of rice porridge) is the same reason I rarely make risotto: the forever stirring. Both dishes are worth the effort and patience, but good grief. I have no problem taking time to prep veggies, fruits, and proteins before cooking (it’s sometimes kinda fun for me because I love my knives), but standing at the stove and stirring and stirring and stirring is almost too much for me. 😂 Someone needs to invent a stovetop stirring machine. 

As I typed that last sentence, I swear I heard a friend’s mother say “no you can’t rely on a machine, you need to use FEELING!” 😅 She’s the person who taught me how to make congee (and a few other Chinese dishes) many years ago. She was one of my favorite people on Earth. So was (and still is) her daughter. When we visit or call/Facetime each other and cook together and need to make food/technique choices, sometimes we stop and say, “what would [her mom] do?” ❤️ 

@WinglessOne   Looks divine! 

And, Screenshot 2023-10-25 at 23-22-14 Automatic Pot Stirrer.png

@Ispend2much6  Haha, that thing looks ridiculously awesome! Of course I had to go look for it, and I should’ve known Amazon would have this type of thing. 😂 I also see this fun contraption: 

178F8CC4-DDF9-4457-B795-38D52AFEE60C.jpeg

I’m laughing about this (well, more so about the thought of me using one of these and hearing my own grandmother yell “oh no you did not get that lazy” from beyond the grave)—but really, I can see these tools being very useful for someone with limited or no arm/hand mobility. 🙂 

@WinglessOne. I just picture this malfunctioning for me because I didn't assemble it correctly and flinging food all over the place.😂 

I really enjoy youe Asian food posts.

@Ispend2much6 🤣 Fun tangent: to this day, I sometimes quadruple check my hand mixer or stand mixer to ensure the beaters/paddle/etc. really are locked in there. Because when I was around 10 years old, I dreamt one night that the hand mixer I used fell apart and flung cake batter everywhere in super slow motion. I can definitely see it happening with one of these stovetop stirrers too (minus the super slo-mo result). 🤦‍♀️ 

And thanks so much about my Asian food posts! I cook other kinds of food too, but this is probably the kind I cook most often. “Asian cuisine” is a very broad category that includes India and Nepal, and now I’m realizing I haven’t made samosas in quite a while… note to self! 

@WinglessOne This meal looks delicious. I need to find a restaurant that serves these dishes near me!

@Mellmars1185  Do you have a local Chinese restaurant that does dim sum? That’s your best bet to find all of these dishes. 😉 Dim sum can quickly get expensive if you dine in the restaurant and can’t stop yourself from ordering something each time the cart rolls around (noooo, that doesn’t describe me at all 😅). Self control is easier when ordering delivery instead. 

@WinglessOne The restaurant that we used to order from has changed owners and we stopped going because of the change in quality. I just googled dim sum and found a new spot. Thank you!!

@WinglessOne Looks so good. Love a good rice porridge and sesame balls. 

@SportyGirly125  It was very tasty! And I can’t see sesame balls on any restaurant’s menu without ordering them. I will judge a restaurant solely on their sesame balls. 😄 Well okay, not solely, I mean that’s kinda unfair since they’re not savory dinner fare. But still: subpar sesame balls will knock off a star from my restaurant rating. 

@WinglessOne @I know what you mean. I love when a restaurant knows how to make them. 

I am looking at your beautiful meal thinking that I'm missing out having never given rice porridge a fair shot @WinglessOne. This all looks fantastic 😍

@CynthieLu  One great thing about rice porridge is its versatility: it’ll take on the flavor of any type of broth or stock you cook it with, and you can add pretty much any protein and veggies to it. Cooking + stirring the rice (for what can seem like forever) to the consistency you like is the challenging part. Some folks like a loose soupy porridge where the rice grains retain their slender shape; others prefer a thick porridge where the rice grains puff up; and some, like me, like something between those 2, though I won’t turn my nose up at either of them. 😄 And that’s just savory porridge. There’s also sweet rice porridge, which can taste amazing. 

That’s a long way to say you should give rice porridge a chance. 🙂 

I think I will now. @WinglessOne. I can tell I've been missing out on something 😊 

I dipped into a holiday flavor early and drank

Peppermint mocha iced coffee

Gatorade

To eat today my husband made me

Grilled cheese

Tomato soup

With saltines 

Oooh, peppermint mocha iced coffee? That sounds so good @MrsAllison. Just the thought of grilled cheese and tomato soup warms my stomach and heart - a classic pair and one of the most comforting combinations! 😋 

Tomato Soup and grilled cheese is a classic, chilly day pairing. Sounds like it was a great meal @MrsAllison!

@MrsAllison Mmm sounds delicious. I love holiday coffee. I bought egg nog today to start putting in my coffee ️. Tomato soup is one of my favorites.

10,864 Replies
testing