Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Besides Beauty

What's on your plate?

Hello there, ladies and gents!

Keeping in line with all the fun and interactive threads asking about your most recent halls, items you have your eyes on, what you're currently wearing, what's your hair routine, and more, I've decide to branch out and ask:

"What's on your plate?"

The beauty world doesn't just stop at skin care and cosmetics, it also goes hand in hand with your overall health and well-being, so with that, I'm curious to see what we're all chowing down and snacking on be it for breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert, or inbetween!

For those with apps that help count calories or to those who just want to keep a log, here's a place to share, possibly find and share some recipes, and even tips on maintaining a balanced diet.

Don't just share food items, but even drinks! I'm a huge fan of tea and at least have a cup of green tea a day (anti-oxidants) and drink plenty of water.

For lunch today, I had:

-Brown rice

-Steamed egg

-Steamed red snapper with green onion, sesame oil, and black pepper

-Gai lan (it's a type of Chinese vegetable/greens)

Now, tell me, Beauty Talk world, what do you have? Smiley Very Happy

Re: What's on your plate?

Hi Lylysa. What I do with it is if I don't eat it right away, I wrap each square in cling wrap and freeze all the squares together. The next day, I vacuum pack each square with my FoodSaver. This allows me to keep the polenta for months, I'm guessing. I just starting making it this year so I have no experience with long-term storage. We intend to eat it all year, most especially when butternut squash is no longer available and/or out of season.

I'm glad you mentioned the freezing bit, I actually had a feeling that some of it would have to be stored away like that. Thanks for detailing things out!

Polenta Friday!!

My favourite. It looks so delicious. 

I need to make this soon..

Today was a cold salad. I added some toasted and cubed Trader Joe's Brown Rice Bread for croutons (even though I very rarely eat croutons--maybe like once every two years). Other ingredients listed in spoiler below.

Spoiler
Chopped treviso radicchio, sliced celery, sliced carrots, avocado chunks, sliced hard boiled egg, grape tomatoes. Small amount of roasted pistachio oil drizzled over the vegetables (because fat helps us digest nutrients in greens such as radicchio). Thick drops of a dressing drizzled on top of everything but the eggs, consisting of tahini mixed with coconut vinegar.

I am just going to take a little bite of your salad. I don't think you will notice! Smiley Wink

No, I doubt that I would notice. Bite away!

Where do you get your roasted pistachio oil?

It looks so delicious, DiVWA.

I need to start incorporating more salads into our meals here.

Got the oil from Trader Joe's. TJs sells a trio of roasted nut oils and a trio of flavored EVOOs every holiday season--they come out around Thanksgiving. This was the first year I got the roasted nut oils and I regret that I didn't get another trio because they're sold out. I usually get the EVOOs and get an extra of those; around here, they seem to last until at least New Year's.

My dinner consisted of meatloaf, green beans (drizzled with some roasted hazelnut oil), and some banana.

Now the meatloaf, this was my first time making this so I pretty much followed the recipe, although I did make a few changes. (I rarely faithfully follow a recipe unless it's for a dessert item.) This is the most nutritious and yet yummy meatloaf I've made yet. It has shredded beets in it--yes, beets. I used the deepest purple ones I could find (they are the healthiest of all the beet types). Other ingredients include ground beef, some chopped fresh mushrooms, and a little bit of bacon.

I don't really like beets at all -- that weird taste is something I haven't been able to get used to--so was a bit skeptical that the meatloaf would taste good. But get this, no beet taste. It's a very rich red-purplish hued meatloaf, which would taste great anytime but is also something that could be served as part of a themed dinner for Valentine's Day or Halloween or Christmas (the latter with some greens on the side). What a great way to get beets into your diet!

OK, you are like the most creative home chef I've run across in a long time!

Thanks Jozkid. About the only thing I'm good at, housework wise, is cooking. I try to keep it whole so there's little processed food.

I'm not a fan of the taste of beets either so it's good that you mentioned how there's no awkward taste to this with its incorporation. Love all the color of your meals!

Last night my bf and I did a joint effort for dinner. He cooked up some chicken breasts cut into pieces with half a can of cream of chicken soup, lemon pepper, and Montreal steak seasoning while I prepared two boxes of :

We steamed some baby bella mushrooms and broccoli and once everything was all cooked we dumped it all together into this chicken, quinoa, millet, amaranth, veggie mix. 

To DiVWA, after our quinoa convo a few pages back I made a trip to Costco and saw the above (came with boxes of a butter parmesan flavor too) and decided to give them a try. No sandy/gritty bits and it's my first time having white quinoa instead of red. 

Montreal steak seasoning is the best!! When I started dating my husband he kept talking about his mom's Canadian steak recipe.  I asked her about it after some confused faces and going through her spice cabinet we realized he meant that steak seasoning.  He thought it was some kind of secret family recipe!! 

My bf is the one who introduced me to it, I don't mind working and adding in a bunch of separate spices but he's more of a "one and done" kind of guy so he likes using it. We buy the bigger containers at Costco or Sam's and just refill the smaller shaker bottle:

Ha ha!

Those grains look tasty! I'll have to look for them next time I go to Costco! 

<3, Randee

Today we had some good ol' goulash. Now, that's friggin delicious! Finger licking good! But, sans those small home made "dumplings" we make and have with goulash where I'm originally from, or some kind of pasta at least... That makes me sad... I love dumplings/pasta with my goulash, it's kinda hard to eat it without those. Smiley Sad But, we're trying to eat low carb right now... Smiley Indifferent That's no fun. Carbs are my favorite food. So, we just had it with a cabbage salad.

The sauce is nice and thick and "sticky", just as it is supposed to be. Perfection in a plate! Smiley Happy

This looks yummy.

We eat low carb too. Or I should say lower carb. We did eat low carb for about a year but then wanted to ease into eating some carbs because low carb all the time is super hard. We still eat much fewer carbs (than we used to eat) most of the time. Now when we eat carbs, we try to have them be healthier veggie type carbs like squash and yams and whatnot.

Are you shooting for a certain max number of carb grams a day? When we were really into low carb, we tried to keep it well below 100 grams. Very difficult to do over the long term.

My answer ended up being way too long, so I decided not to clog the thread with it, and PMed you instead. Smiley Happy I hope your PMs work now?

It looks so good....You best send me that recipe too!

Uh oh! That's gonna be tricky... I don't have a recipe for it. I just... make it. Without measuring anything. Plus, my English cooking vocabulary is not that good.... I can try, though...

For lunch, I had a wild salmon burger on a green salad, which included sliced kale, Italian radicchio, celery leaves, sliced red onion and cherry tomatoes. The salmon burger is from Costco (this is a super yummy salmon burger to get--check the frozen section). I put some Sriracha sauce on top of the salmon burger to add some spiciness to the bitterness of the kale/radicchio. Adding celery leaves to the salad is a trick I learned by watching some show on Food Network--I used to discard these leaves but they're so good (and naturally salty/celery tasting). Before adding the tomatoes and salmon burger, I massaged the salad greens with some lemon-infused olive oil (Trader Joe's).

Holy cow, I need this salmon burger in my life now....dang it, I just went to Costco this weekend but surpassed the frozen section!!!!!! *kicking myself in butt for not going so I could run into the salmon burgers*

3,026 Replies