cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

What's on your plate?

Hello there, ladies and gents!

Keeping in line with all the fun and interactive threads asking about your most recent halls, items you have your eyes on, what you're currently wearing, what's your hair routine, and more, I've decide to branch out and ask:

"What's on your plate?"

The beauty world doesn't just stop at skin care and cosmetics, it also goes hand in hand with your overall health and well-being, so with that, I'm curious to see what we're all chowing down and snacking on be it for breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert, or inbetween!

For those with apps that help count calories or to those who just want to keep a log, here's a place to share, possibly find and share some recipes, and even tips on maintaining a balanced diet.

Don't just share food items, but even drinks! I'm a huge fan of tea and at least have a cup of green tea a day (anti-oxidants) and drink plenty of water.

For lunch today, I had:

-Brown rice

-Steamed egg

-Steamed red snapper with green onion, sesame oil, and black pepper

-Gai lan (it's a type of Chinese vegetable/greens)

Now, tell me, Beauty Talk world, what do you have? 😄

Re: What's on your plate?

Since 8 just made them and took pics for IG so here is today’s Quarantine baking.

1D14DFF4-60E0-4344-AB96-CA269CF18996.jpeg

@fatimamummy ,

The stay-at-home is spurring a lot of baking, isn't it?  It's one of the good things!

Beautiful cupcake and frosting!

Hi @fatimamummy,

These look amazing! 

Best,

Rebecca

@fatimamummy  "Today's quarantine baking" I love it!  And you have the perfect amount of icing on those cupcake. 🙂

Since I’ve been eating leftover japchae for 2.5 days (and I’m not complaining; I could eat it year round and never get tired of it :D), here are a couple of throwbacks.

First is one of my typical lunch or dinner dishes: toast topped with lentils and over easy eggs. When I don’t cook a big batch of japchae, I usually cook a huge batch of lentils and repurpose them in various dishes throughout the week. Sometimes the eggs are sunny side up, other times they’re poached, but the yolk is always runny or, at a minimum, very softly set. In this particular photo, the left yolk set harder than I’d like but was still acceptably gooey. 

Shoutout to @Ispend2much6  for inspiring me (with her yummy avocado toast photo) to share this one! 

I always cook my lentils with onion, carrots, garlic, and habaneros in chicken or veggie stock.I always cook my lentils with onion, carrots, garlic, and habaneros in chicken or veggie stock.

Next is some “remember when I could shop weekly for all the fresh fruit and veg my heart desired” reminiscing: bo luc lac, made with more veggies than usual. My big nakiri is in the first photo, but I switched to my favorite knife (a Masakage bunka; it’s waiting on the purple towel in the background) for all the peppers and rapini. 

Not pictured: the actual bo luc lac :D —beef marinating in sauce while I chopped all this stuff.Not pictured: the actual bo luc lac 😄 —beef marinating in sauce while I chopped all this stuff.Assembled dish.Assembled dish.

Bo luc lac is another easy dish to make, and it takes very little time if you serve it with just the usual leafy green (raw watercress, spinach, or arugula work nicely) and sliced tomato and cucumber. I used wilted rapini leaves, along with the florets. 

I try to eat “big” meals for breakfast and/or lunch, and smaller lighter meals for dinner. It depends on how active I am throughout the day. What most Americans call breakfast, I sometimes make for dinner. 😄 This reminds me that I need more apples or frozen blueberries, and more Greek yogurt, so I can make pancakes for dinner again. 

@WinglessOne ,

Good grief!  These dishes look wonderful!   I shouldn't be surprised that you are such a chef, but I didn't know.  Of course you have very special knives!

Aw, thanks @tsavorite ! 

@WinglessOne I love your vegetable pictures. I just went grocery shopping and stock up a bunch of veggies as well. You made me miss my mom’s bo luc lac. 😋

@WinglessOne   I can't get over the vibrancy of your produce!  You, my dear, are a gourmet cook.  What type of beef do you use for your bo luc lac? 

Aw, thanks @Ispend2much6  ☺️ Most credit for produce vibrancy belongs to the folks who grew it. All I had to do was not overcook it, so as not to lose all that pretty color. 

I use ribeye for bo luc lac. A good strip steak or tri-tip will work, but I like ribeye best for this. One of my friends has been getting more into cooking beyond the grill (he grills EVERYthing), so I invited him over to show him how to make this dish. When I pulled out 2 ribeyes and started cubing them, he nearly had a meltdown. 😄 “Nooooo those are beautiful for the grill, omg you can’t cut them up like that!” But he stuck with me in the kitchen, and wound up loving the finished dish. A few days later, he said he promptly went shopping for oyster sauce, good shoyu, watercress, and cucumbers, and made it himself at home. I’m slowly but surely getting him as comfortable with his stove as he is with his grill. 

@WinglessOne   You're a good friend.  Thanks for the info!  It's hard to find thinly shaved beef here so it's good to know ribeye works.

Please forgive all of the following "spam."  Adding to this thread seems like a good way to procrastinate my work for the day. 🙂

This looks like ordinary avocado toast, and it is, except I used an internet hack that really works to make the poached eggs.

I have never been able to make poached eggs, but this method works and my guys even make it for themselves.

You put a half-teaspoon of vinegar (I've used both white or apple cider,) in a coffee mug or one-cup glass prep bowl (like the ones Pampered Chef sells.) 

Add a half-cup of water.

Crack one egg into the mug (or bowl.)

Place a small plate on top that will totally cover the top of the mug or bowl evenly.

Microwave on high for 50 seconds.  Finding the correct time for your microwave takes a little work. 

The egg never looks totally done even when it is; it will have  swirly threads of egg white around the egg.  You can play with increments of 3 seconds at a time, but sometimes even 5 seconds turns a poached egg into a hard boiled one.

72546536_10215838877067267_39031863922130944_o.jpg

@Ispend2much6 ,

Yum for Avocado Toast with poached eggs!  Thanks for the microwave cooking tip!

Yummy @Ispend2much6 looks so good! I put about 2-3x more avo on my toast! 😳🤣I do the vinegar also but on the stove and swirl it as I add the egg but I’ve never tried anything but scrambled in microwave! Great idea. Gonna try it! 🥰 I tried to recreate PQ avo toast ( can’t quite ) as they use this amazing citrus lime salt, fresh cumin and olive oil drizzled. I’m crazy about it and crave it on their bread too of course. Can’t beat eggs any time of day or night I say! Thanks for your ideas! 🤗 

@Sunnysmom   That sounds so fancy!  Yum!

Oh geez 🤦🏻‍♀️ @Ispend2much6 I think you meant the avo. Duh. Lol lol. 

Haha no it’s not @Ispend2much6 ! You know I don’t have the patience you do for fancy! U just pour a dot in and swirl water around as you add the egg and I guess it keeps it more together?! 🤷🏻‍♀️I dunno. 

1. @Sunnysmom   I've tried that way and never succeeded,  That's the "chef" method!

Well I’m not sure how I can then @Ispend2much6 because I’m not the gourmet you are! 🥰🤣

Hi @Ispend2much6,

This looks amazing! I have been living off of avocado toast! 

Best,
Rebecca

Oh that looks delicious @Ispend2much6 those eggs are perf...

Oh that looks delicious @Ispend2much6 those eggs are perfection! I will definitely give that method a try. I love poached eggs but can't seem to master it. Thanks for the tip!
10,864 Replies
testing