cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

What's on your plate?

Hello there, ladies and gents!

Keeping in line with all the fun and interactive threads asking about your most recent halls, items you have your eyes on, what you're currently wearing, what's your hair routine, and more, I've decide to branch out and ask:

"What's on your plate?"

The beauty world doesn't just stop at skin care and cosmetics, it also goes hand in hand with your overall health and well-being, so with that, I'm curious to see what we're all chowing down and snacking on be it for breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert, or inbetween!

For those with apps that help count calories or to those who just want to keep a log, here's a place to share, possibly find and share some recipes, and even tips on maintaining a balanced diet.

Don't just share food items, but even drinks! I'm a huge fan of tea and at least have a cup of green tea a day (anti-oxidants) and drink plenty of water.

For lunch today, I had:

-Brown rice

-Steamed egg

-Steamed red snapper with green onion, sesame oil, and black pepper

-Gai lan (it's a type of Chinese vegetable/greens)

Now, tell me, Beauty Talk world, what do you have? 😄

Re: What's on your plate?

@CookieGirl1, my intro to Burmese cuisine was a catfish chowder soup (mohinga) but my favorite Burmese dish is the tea leaf salad (lahpet thoke). There are a couple of good articles online about the dish -

Vice - Tea Leaf Salad is a Greasy Equalizer in Myanmar

PDX Eater - Understanding the Origins of Top Burmese Famous Tea Leaf Salad

@itsfi mmmm, the catfish soup sounds like it would be good too!

@CookieGirl1, it’s so gooood and flavorful, lots of aromatic spices and herbs. It’s great on cold or cold and rainy days. Like the one today is shaping out to be. Hmmm… 🤔 You may have just helped me decide what’s for dinner tonight 😃, if this cool weather holds up. 

@itsfi Looks healthy and tasty. I enjoy eating salads in the summer.

@Mellmars1185, salads are great. 🥗 I go through phases where I have a big bowl of salad for dinner, oftentimes with a  warmed up protein of some sort on top of the greens.    Easy-peasy, healthy and yummy. 😋 

Oh @itsfi I have not heard of this salad.  It looks delicious 😋 

@Cissy63, the salad has got a lot of things going on - fresh, savory, a bit of crunch, umami flavor. There are slight variations when I see it on restaurant menus but the flavor is the same. I add more lettuce to mine when I make it. If you run across it, I highly recommend. 😋 

Our garden is doing well- it must be all of the rain we've had lately.  This is what we picked the past two days.  I think I'm going to have to make stuffed peppers and freeze them.  Tomatoes are difficult to grow here, so I'm happy to have so many mini ones, and a few larger ones for slicing.

tomatoes.jpg

various veggies.jpg

@Ispend2much6 , 

I am so jealous that your garden is producing all of these already!  Especially the tomatoes!  We are still waiting.  

@tsavorite  It's been a weird growing season.  For starters, this was the third year in a row that we had weather that was just too cold to plant past the frost date.  But we had a few super hot days mixed in with the mild weather through June and early July to make the plants sprint.  Overall, everything is maturing early- can't figure that out.

Yours will get there- maybe you'll have tomatoes far after us!

@Ispend2much6 ,

I'm just hoping we will have tomatoes at all.  (Grocery store tomatoes, Ewwww!)

When we have had a good crop, other years, we have harvested the green tomatoes and had garden tomatoes almost until Christmas.

Good times.

@Ispend2much6 I love cherry and grape tomatoes!

@CookieGirl1  I have to admit, they are tasty.  It's a race to see who can eat them when they're perfectly ripe- us or the birds!  If I could ship them to you, I would. 🙂

@Ispend2much6 Wow look at all of that fresh produce. Enjoy the fruits of your labour!

@Mellmars1185  The first part is my husband's labor; the last part is mine. 😉  This is the time of year he takes a grocery bag out to the garden, comes back with it full, and I say, "NOOO!!" And the race to use them before they go bad is on! Thanks!

Oh @Ispend2much6 @you are having a wonderful harvest.  Enjoy!!😋

@Cissy63  Thanks!

@Ispend2much6 Wow your garden is doing pretty good. You even get lots of bell peppers. I’m jealous. Last year we only got cherry tomatoes but this year we get 2 different kinds of tomatoes and the big one produces liked crazy.. Sadly we don’t have cucumbers this year. Our plum and nectarine are done with fruits. We will have lots of grapes and figs pretty soon 😘

@blackkitty2014   I would love to be able to grow plums!  Your growing season is so far ahead of ours.  Our figs don't arrive until August/September. 

In general it seems like everything is maturing early.  Which is nice because now we have a second crop of zucchini and cukes growing.

Do you know if it's good to cut the tops off of tomato plants so the fruit matures instead of the plant growing taller?  I've read that you can do that with indeterminate types, but I'm afraid to do that, to be honest.

Eggs with mushrooms and chives and jalapeño cheese dripping in butter.  🙂 

4D47CA4E-3E60-40BE-96BD-60BA52010535.jpeg

@heartsmyface  Thinking sounds so tasty!!

10,829 Replies
testing