Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Besides Beauty

What's on your plate?

Hello there, ladies and gents!

Keeping in line with all the fun and interactive threads asking about your most recent halls, items you have your eyes on, what you're currently wearing, what's your hair routine, and more, I've decide to branch out and ask:

"What's on your plate?"

The beauty world doesn't just stop at skin care and cosmetics, it also goes hand in hand with your overall health and well-being, so with that, I'm curious to see what we're all chowing down and snacking on be it for breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert, or inbetween!

For those with apps that help count calories or to those who just want to keep a log, here's a place to share, possibly find and share some recipes, and even tips on maintaining a balanced diet.

Don't just share food items, but even drinks! I'm a huge fan of tea and at least have a cup of green tea a day (anti-oxidants) and drink plenty of water.

For lunch today, I had:

-Brown rice

-Steamed egg

-Steamed red snapper with green onion, sesame oil, and black pepper

-Gai lan (it's a type of Chinese vegetable/greens)

Now, tell me, Beauty Talk world, what do you have? Smiley Very Happy

Re: What's on your plate?

Great!

I know! I'm really pleased. I didn't do as much cheese this time because I wanted to get the consistency right first. I'm wanting to experiment with color cauliflower next!

You will probably end up making and eating it without the cheese. A good mashed veggie (root or one like cauliflower) doesn't really need a cheese to "shine." Especially if served with sauces or gravies on top.

I actually don't do gravy all too often, every now and then I will Smiley Happy

My dad fixed a country breakfast this morning that the whole family enjoyed, including Jasmine lol.  Jasmine loves gravey lol.

Homemade Biscuits

Homemade Gravy

Fresh Sausage (a family friend raises pigs)

Scrambled Eggs

Can I haz? That sounds sooo gooood, I love homemade gravy!

ohmigosh this thread makes me SO HUNGRY!!!

Fresh sausage!!!!  I've never had that in my life!

It is sooo much better than what you buy from the grocery store.  Have you had hamburger meat, roast, etc?

@kimmi -- no, boohooo. i think the only truly "fresh" meat i've had is various kinds of fish or shellfish.  i have a coworker that actually drives across a couple of state lines once a year to pick up his share of fresh steaks/cuts from a rancher friend of his....it sounds crazy but I'm sure there's a big difference between that and whatever you get from the store!

@drrragon It doesn't sound crazy at all because there are differences.  Meat in most grocery chains comes from cattle that have been fed who knows what, who knows how they've been treated, and they've had the hormone shots and whatnot.  Also, I don't know what all is in it to preserve it, and I probably don't want to know. 

On the other hand, fresh meat comes from cattle that do not receive all that bad stuff, such as hormone shots.  My family and I know what the cows were fed.  If I remember correctly, they were fed cattle good cattle feed, hay, and, before we hauled them to the meat packing place, they received something corn based to "clean out" their system.  

The taste between the two is different as well.  Fresh meat tastes so much better.  We haven't fixed the steaks yet; we're waiting until summer so we can grill out.  We've used hamburger meat for different things, had some of the roasts, and some sections of meat were packaged for beef stew receipes.

*DROOL*

If you lived nearby, you'd be more than welcome to join us!  Homemade gravy is amazing, especially when it's fixed in a cast iron skillet.  You can't beat cast iron!

Okay! Back with another recipe, folks!

MISO HONEY GLAZED CHICKEN!

Again, for those that know my previous recipe posts, lots of them vary in terms of measurement (use your own judgement/tastes, if you like the flavor more of one spice, add more, if you want to take away some, do so, use your nose as a guide as far as what you're making and having it smell right = tasting right), but I tried to be a bit more precise on this recipe.

For starters, preheat your oven to 350!

Okay! Onto recipe/photo guide time! Refer to the the above pic as you read on!

Step One - Ingredients/supplies

-Baking pan/sheet (covered in foil, I rubbed a touch of sesame oil on it)

-Chicken breast (butterflied and fileted into two pieces, you can also just cut the chicken into piece to cook on the stove in a pan or in strips cooked in pan or oven)

-Honey

-Miso paste

-Onion powder

-Chili powder

-Black pepper (I like fresh ground pepper, but preground is fine)

-Salt

-Sesame oil

-Sesame seeds (toasted, optional)

Step Two & Three - Mixing your marinade

For this specific time, I used 3 1/2 tablespoons of honey, 2 1/2 teaspoons of miso paste, sprinkled in some salt, pepper, onion powder, and chili powder, and added a small touch of sesame oil (keep it easy on the SO, no need to get crazy). Mix it up with a spoon or whisk until the miso is no longer clumpy and it makes almost a runny paste. Again, use your sense of smell, if you want to add more of a spice in, go ahead, if the paste is too runny, feel free to add some corn starch a little at a time to thicken it up some but be sure it doesn't make your glaze smell too powdery. Photo three shows the texture of this particular time I made it, but I've also had times where I didn't add as much honey and the miso was more dominant.

Step Four - Glaze time

Add in your chicken now, mix it up, coat up pieces, slices, breasts (however you cut it) to the marinade to make sure it's evenly glazed (I'll post what polish I'm wearing in Mani Friday post later, haha!). Keep any left over marinade to reglaze later.

Step Five - Prepare to bake

Lay chicken pieces on baking pan and sprinkle sesame seeds on top, pop into oven for 20 minutes

Step Six - Reglaze

Midway through baking, pull out chicken and drizzle on some left over marinade. use a spoon as a brush will just remove/move sesame seeds, close oven, let it finish out for the remainder of the bake time.

Step Seven - TA DA! (Check out my sweet oven mitt Smiley Tongue)

Pull out, let cool, plate and serve! TA DA!!!!!! Enjoy!

*As mentioned, this can also be cooked on the stove in a pan, the key is to cook on medium/high heat and ensure the chicken doesn't stick, I like using sesame oil as the recipe itself calls for it.

As for dinner last night, I made soba (buckwheat) noodles in broth with chicken, dumplings (bought at Costco), fish balls, baby bok choy, mung bean sprouts, and garnished with some green onion! Here my bf displays his bowl proudly before we pig out!

I wish I was your bf in that picture eating yummy goodness! I will print this one out as well! I think I have  like a  "lil lylysa cookbook" going on now with all the printouts over the past couple of months! HAHA

He's a goof! <3 him! I gave him his bowl and was all , "WAIIIIT! I need to take a photo to show the girls!!!" And he just holds it up smiling, he doesn't mind be posted on BT since he's already on my avi pic with me and I've posted some of our other pics before.

That is great!!!!  My poor parents have to wait for their food so I can take pictures  and post to my instagram. Smiley Happy

Hahah, "Hold it mom and dad! *click click* Okay, you're good to eat now!" Smiley Tongue

Oh its worse than that - wait you can't have your plate until I take 7-10 pictures.  Gotta make sure I get a good picture. Smiley Happy

Oh my goodness. It's a million degrees outside but I'm totally going to brave the heat so I can go pick up some miso paste to make this!

I came up with the recipe on a complete whim a while back too! I had originally bought the miso paste for soup making (I also like to use it in broths when I make noodles), and thought, "Man, I have a whole bag of miso, don't want to waste it....what to do...what to do???" And the idea of mixing it with honey popped into my head! I've made it for friends before (made on the stove) but also I use that marinade over salmon too!

Okay so I had an amazing salad!! Smiley Very Happy

I hate salads but this was so good! It was a Strawberry and Pecan Salad!

I had already taken a bite and then thought, I have to take a picture! It's so beautiful! Smiley Very Happy

It looks amazing!!!!!!  I love a good salad.

Highlighted

It was a tough call between the Strawberry, or the Apple one! But i think i made the right call! Next time i'll try the Apple! Yum!

@Arielaaaaaaaaa That looks fantastic!  Good call Smiley Happy

YAY for a healthy AND beautiful salad Smiley Happy

1 Reply