cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

What's on your plate?

Hello there, ladies and gents!

Keeping in line with all the fun and interactive threads asking about your most recent halls, items you have your eyes on, what you're currently wearing, what's your hair routine, and more, I've decide to branch out and ask:

"What's on your plate?"

The beauty world doesn't just stop at skin care and cosmetics, it also goes hand in hand with your overall health and well-being, so with that, I'm curious to see what we're all chowing down and snacking on be it for breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert, or inbetween!

For those with apps that help count calories or to those who just want to keep a log, here's a place to share, possibly find and share some recipes, and even tips on maintaining a balanced diet.

Don't just share food items, but even drinks! I'm a huge fan of tea and at least have a cup of green tea a day (anti-oxidants) and drink plenty of water.

For lunch today, I had:

-Brown rice

-Steamed egg

-Steamed red snapper with green onion, sesame oil, and black pepper

-Gai lan (it's a type of Chinese vegetable/greens)

Now, tell me, Beauty Talk world, what do you have? 😄

Re: What's on your plate?

Oh looks so yummy @AznAngelLiz 😋. Whenever I bake salmon, my 6 yr old would eat it with rice and seaweed and he calls it Sushi 🤣😂

I feel like I already posted about this, but I can't find any pictures of it, but please excuse me if I did.  I made blueberry sauce for the freezer (which can double as pie filling with a little more cornstarch or other thickener,) so my family can have a semi-healthy pancake topping (plus they like it.)

Yep, those Peruvian blueberries are the best of the year.

Basic recipe is:  1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup water, 1 TB cornstarch, cinnamon, and 2 cups of berries.  I added more berries and water.

20211108_010913_HDR.jpg20211108_014953_HDR.jpg

Are those lemon ricotta pancakes, @Ispend2much6?

@eshoeNo, they're from a King Arthur Flour mix. 🙂  I made ricotta pancakes once and they were a gloppy mess so I never tried again.  But they would taste good with blueberries!

Oh my goodness @Ispend2much6. What kind of black magic you casting on us 😂🤣 looks so yummy 😋 

@blackkitty2014   Awww...the peruvian blueberries are so good I can't stop buying them!  The way it is over here, I can willingly make things like this or it will be "suggested" that I do that. 😂  If I didn't cook, no one would eat.

Does anyone else have an Instant Pot?  I was curious how my slow cooker spaghetti and meat sauce would work out in it, and the answer is pretty well.  It is missing a little of that slow-cooked taste, and a little bit of the meat slipped to the bottom of the pot and burned a little (I can't seem to figure out how to prevent that from happening,) but it was so much quicker to make.

One batch in the Instant Pot made a ton too- this was the largest of the Tupperware bowls with the ridged lids: (recipe in spoiler)

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
½ lb. ground beef
½ lb. ground pork
½ green pepper
2 T. dried onion
2 lbs. chopped Italian tomatoes
8 oz. tomato sauce
12 oz. tomato paste w/ roasted garlic
1 c. beef broth- or, I used 1 can Campbell's beef consomme
2 T. parsley
1 T. brown sugar
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. basil
¼ tsp. hot pepper flakes
1 tsp. salt
¼ tsp. pepper

20211104_192840_HDR.jpg

This makes me want to try cooking spaghetti in my Instant Pot again, the first and only time I made it, I burnt it 😅. Looks good @Ispend2much6 

@AznAngelLiz  Thanks!  The instant pot spaghetti is really tasty, and I burn it every time.  In fact, I burn most meals that contain meat in the instant pot. It's still quick and easy though.

@Ispend2much6 Yes, we love our Instant Pot

@SportyGirly125. I need to use it more so I remember how to cook different foods in it. I made rice one time and it turned out well but nevr did again. But I have my Zojirushi rice maker for that.

@Ispend2much6 is it similar to a pressure cooker? I bought my sister one a few years ago but I am too scared to try one. 

@eshoe We have had ours for a couple of years and you can make so many things with it.  We usually cook beef stew or my husband makes chili in it.

It looks like something that would be incredibly helpful @SportyGirly125. I am just too leery of hurting myself. I am the only one who cooks/bakes unless my daughter wants to bake something special. Which she does, too frequently😄

@eshoe It is a pressure cooker but it is a breeze and safe to use. I understand the concern I had it too. One of my favorite things to make in it is mashed potatoes-they are never waterlogged and taste so good!

Mashed potatoes in there, @Ispend2much6 😳 That’s very interesting! My husband wanted a Wafflizer (sp?) and I filled it with cream cheese and strawberries. When I unlatched it after cooking it, it exploded all over me and the kitchen. It was hot, but thankfully not hot enough to leave burns. 

@eshoeOOohh, I'm glad you're okay!  That could have really hurt.  Sorry you had a mess to clean up!

I bought one of those machines that makes breakfast sandwiches at one go (it cooks the egg, cheese, and english muffin at the same time.)  It's a great idea, but I only used it about twice. lol  No more specialty stuff for me.

Yes, @Ispend2much6 - cute idea, but poor execution on some of these gimmicky products! I am happy to make regular waffles any day☺️

@Ispend2much6 We have an Instant Pot. My husband is the cook and often uses it for pasta dishes.  We've had things touch the bottom and burn as well. I agree with you 100% that it cooks things so fast!  It's perfect for weeknight meals. 

@mishanyc   I agree.  I have several Instant Pot cookbooks, and need to use them to get used to using it more.  I haven't been reaching for it as much because it requires some more thought than what I'm used to cooking.

I do love cooking a fresh turkey breast in it; it turns out so moist!

@Ispend2much6 We have a cookbook but a lot of the recipes call for using the stove first.  He made wings in there before and they were delicious. A fresh turkey breast sounds good. I'm hungry now!

testing